Good Luck Charms

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

I've never really understood the good luck in a rabbit's foot. The three legged rabbit didn't have much luck since losing a foot!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#32 Jess521

Jess521

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

Hey all!

I don't know if I posted this is the right section, but....
does anyone here believe in good luck charms? Has anyone lost one and then all of a sudden it seems that you have this string of horrible bad luck? If you have lost one or have one presently that you possess, please share!

Here's mine:

Just a couple of months ago I went to this old run down theatre that shows movies for cheap and will occasionally run old films too. The best old theatre style popcorn ever! :clap: My friends and I went the movie Labyrinth. (Quite the magical movie itself!) Instead of the normal theatre workers, it was university students putting on the show and running the box office to raise money for the university's radio station. Instead of getting a quarter back in my change, I received a coin with Arabic writing on it. When I showed it to people they were amazed. One guy told me to hold on to it because it could be a good luck charm.
Well enventually I was careless and lost the coin. After that, our car always broke down, my Nintendo DS and one of my digital cameras got stolen. Our door to our bedroom mysteriously stopped working. One day we went to unlock the door and the key wouldn't work. It wasn't the lock, the tumblers on the door came loose by themselves! Well, the computer crashed to but I'll chalk that up to coincidence because you know computers these day, lol! So who knows, just coincidence or do good luck charms exist?
JESS

#33 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

The rational side of me doesn't believe in good luck charms. The superstitious side likes to hedge the bets when the chance arises.
I also think that our own beliefs and attitudes can have a profound effect on us. Look at the popularity of the book "the Secret" It sells itself as a magical solution. It is in fact, the power of positive thinking and well placed goals.

PS sorry about the bad stuff, that stinks.

Edited by Amylew, 17 February 2008 - 04:48 PM.

There is nothing left to say.Me

#34 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

I'm with Amylew for the most part...attitude is almost everything, and the rest is a mixture of skill and coincidence.
Posted Image

#35 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

Agreed with the two posters above me. It's about your thought process. Like attracts like. Think positively and good things will happen to you. What you put out comes back. When I'm in a negative frame of mind, bad things happen and everything goes wrong. So I snap myself out of it and say "I have all that I want and need." Sure enough things turn around.

Not to contradict myself though, but I do carry crystals with me on an almost daily basis. I believe they have properties that bring certain types of energy and healing to us that we need.

If you have an interest in crystals, a great one to start with is Citrine. It is the only crystal that never needs cleansing even if someone else touches it. I found out recently that crystals do wear out however. So if you overuse one, you eventually may have to replace it.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#36 paraviews

paraviews

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

Personally, good luck, bad luck I put in the same superstitions category. they only work if you believe that they will. Just like a hex, a hex will only work if you believe it will work. henceforth all the hexs my grandmother put on me I just laughed it off. But whereas my older sister, the hexs always worked on her cause she believed that they would.

Edited by paraviews, 17 February 2008 - 09:44 PM.

Posted Image

#37 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

~I have a good luck charm!!! I'm not Catholic, but I bought this pretty rosary from The Dollar Tree right before Tommy's heart surgery. I had that rosary in my hand the whole time he was in surgery. Now it hangs from my mirror in my car, and everytime I see it sway, I just remember how much faith and love and hope I put into that pretty pink rosary that day. I lost it last month for a day (I used to have a very big purse) & that whole day went crappy. I went to look for the rosary and I couldn't find it (this purse was pretty huge). I found it that evening & the following day, the whole day went as though the previous day never exhisted.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#38 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:49 AM

Not to contradict myself though, but I do carry crystals with me on an almost daily basis. I believe they have properties that bring certain types of energy and healing to us that we need.

If you have an interest in crystals, a great one to start with is Citrine. It is the only crystal that never needs cleansing even if someone else touches it. I found out recently that crystals do wear out however. So if you overuse one, you eventually may have to replace it.

This sounds really interesting to me...I'd enjoy learning more about the different types and what energies they're supposed to bring.
Posted Image

#39 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

~I have a good luck charm!!! I'm not Catholic, but I bought this pretty rosary from The Dollar Tree right before Tommy's heart surgery. I had that rosary in my hand the whole time he was in surgery. Now it hangs from my mirror in my car, and everytime I see it sway, I just remember how much faith and love and hope I put into that pretty pink rosary that day. I lost it last month for a day (I used to have a very big purse) & that whole day went crappy. I went to look for the rosary and I couldn't find it (this purse was pretty huge). I found it that evening & the following day, the whole day went as though the previous day never exhisted.

That is SO touching and perfectly describes my idea of a good luck charm. I also have a rosary*I collect them* but the one that means the most to me and I consider my good luck charm is one my grandmother gave to me before she passed.

A good luck charm is something that makes you feel safe, protected...even if it has no "magical" merit...its what it means to you, thats the value of a good luck charm.
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#40 Virgo/Libra Cusp

Virgo/Libra Cusp

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:The unknown and mis-understood

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

I have a friend who has a couple of charms that he wears around his neck. They are native american. I wish I knew more about them since I have native american ancestors...but don't we all lol..
One is round and white and the other is shaped like an arrowhead and kind of a lite green color. I'll see if i can find more info on them and post here.
It's closing time here at work for today but I'll see what I can find tomorrow.....
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints in our hearts...and we are never, ever the same. - Author Unknown

#41 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

I could have swore I answered this exact same topic before. It's probably buried a few pages back.
I don't believe in "luck," I agree with what Kira and Amylew said about our attitudes and being positive or negative having effects on things. I do carry a real four leaf clover in one of the photo sleeves of my wallet though. Not that I think it brings me luck in the traditional sense of the word, but there's a personal story attached to the clover and how it was found and who found it. So it more or less brings me positive memories and maybe that brings me luck.

#42 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

Good catch Shawn,

I've merged the two threads together.
Posted Image

#43 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:06 AM

Atleast I answered the same both times...now it makes sense why this thread was so familiar to me :lol:
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#44 sweetmamadot777

sweetmamadot777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality , Ghost history , Angels , My Family and my two wee doggies xx

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:54 AM

""A good luck charm is something that makes you feel safe, protected...even if it has no "magical" merit...its what it means to you, thats the value of a good luck charm.""

well said , willow, I have a four leaf clover that my eldest son sent to me all the way from Finland, when I lived in the States, he grew them himself, and wanted me to share his "good luck" ....simply because he was happy and content with his life and the way it turned out ! I had it sealed in plastic, and keep it in my purse at all times.

I have been known to rub it over a lottery ticket now and then.....lol..... :lol: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the sun.It's about learning to dance in the rain

#45 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:13 AM

I love that Willow! I was thinking that whether it's a special stone found on the beach at a special trip and always in one's pocket, or in my case it's a rosary around my neck right now, it's our "focus point". Where it brings us when we touch it. Tonight, it's to the person in my prayers and thoughts. Our personal touch stone. Not that the object itself has any magical powers. It's the importance we give it. Like Sweetmamadots four leaf clover, I have one that my Granmother sent me in the mail many years ago. It brought back memories of laying on the lawn at her house looking for four leaf clovers. So to me, it's being back there, as a child with my Gramma. Innocent time.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users