Good Luck Charms

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

Atleast I answered the same both times...now it makes sense why this thread was so familiar to me :blush:

Maybe you should have replied to this thread in the DeJa Vu thread? :)

Regarding crystals...

Most people who have a basic knowledge of electronics know that quartz crystals are used in microphones and electronic watches, among other things. They have an electrical generating ability and are reactive to electrical impulses.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#47 ghosthuntress16

ghosthuntress16

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

I dont have any particular good luck charm, but my mom has a tradition that she is very adamant about keeping up.

For as long as I can remember, Nana (her mother) would send two Christmas cards: one regular one, and one with the 3 Wise men on it. We have a habit of sticking our cards on the inside of our front door, which we rarely use. At the end of the holiday season, we take all of our cards and retire them to a box... except for the one with the 3 Wise men. That one gets hung above the threshold of our door, to bring happiness and good luck in the new year.

When Nana passed a few years ago, my mom's youngest sister picked up the tradition of sending the 3 Wise men card. I believe this is rooted in a Polish tradition of writing the initials of the 3 Wise men over your door in chalk to bring happiness and good luck in the new year.

#48 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

Two years ago I was having a weird streak of bad luck with events which luckily I did not end up injured or dead.
Some of the things were a telephone pole literally falling over after being undermined by construction and just missing my car, a blade from a commercial lawn mower hit something as I was stopped at a red light and the blade shot through my passenger window past my face and out my driver's window, and I was on my way to have my car serviced at my mechanic up the street and the gas pump blew spewing hot gasoline all under the hood and around the hot engine. My mechanic said my car should have caught on fire and exploded. After all these incidents and several others, I was nervous about leaving my house and I felt like the grim reaper was stalking me, lol. Then I had a dream about my grandmother (she is deceased and was my best friend), and in the dream she told me she left me a "gift" in my garden. I have several areas in my yard with flowers etc., but one particular area is my "sentimental" garden. I just happened to be putting down mulch the next day, and saw a strange object next to a heart stepping stone my sister had given me for Christmas. The weird thing is is that it is such an unusual object, that no one knows what it is. I posted the photo on here two years ago after telling the story about the dream. Here is the "gift" again for the new members to look at. I have shown this object to close to 200 people and everyone has no clue what it is. It is like something from another planet. It definately not man made, it is kind of like a nut shell. It is very hard. The hole in the back is what I poked open to see if anything was inside, and nothing was. It is very strange, and more so strange that it sort of reminds me of a cross. Needless to say, this is my lucky charm...and since I found it in my garden I have been safe and no more freak accidents have happened to me. Here are some photos of it:

Posted Image

the back of it

Posted Image
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#49 Jess521

Jess521

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hey all!

I don't know if I posted this is the right section, but....
does anyone here believe in good luck charms? Has anyone lost one and then all of a sudden it seems that you have this string of horrible bad luck? If you have lost one or have one presently that you possess, please share!

Here's mine:

Just a couple of months ago I went to this old run down theatre that shows movies for cheap and will occasionally run old films too. The best old theatre style popcorn ever! :Spaz: My friends and I went the movie Labyrinth. (Quite the magical movie itself!) Instead of the normal theatre workers, it was university students putting on the show and running the box office to raise money for the university's radio station. Instead of getting a quarter back in my change, I received a coin with Arabic writing on it. When I showed it to people they were amazed. One guy told me to hold on to it because it could be a good luck charm.
Well enventually I was careless and lost the coin. After that, our car always broke down, my Nintendo DS and one of my digital cameras got stolen. Our door to our bedroom mysteriously stopped working. One day we went to unlock the door and the key wouldn't work. It wasn't the lock, the tumblers on the door came loose by themselves! Well, the computer crashed to but I'll chalk that up to coincidence because you know computers these day, lol! So who knows, just coincidence or do good luck charms exist?

Oops, I guess I should have read if someone started the topic first, sorry! Thanks for squishing them together though :(
JESS

#50 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

Two years ago I was having a weird streak of bad luck with events which luckily I did not end up injured or dead.
Some of the things were a telephone pole literally falling over after being undermined by construction and just missing my car, a blade from a commercial lawn mower hit something as I was stopped at a red light and the blade shot through my passenger window past my face and out my driver's window, and I was on my way to have my car serviced at my mechanic up the street and the gas pump blew spewing hot gasoline all under the hood and around the hot engine. My mechanic said my car should have caught on fire and exploded. After all these incidents and several others, I was nervous about leaving my house and I felt like the grim reaper was stalking me, lol. Then I had a dream about my grandmother (she is deceased and was my best friend), and in the dream she told me she left me a "gift" in my garden. I have several areas in my yard with flowers etc., but one particular area is my "sentimental" garden. I just happened to be putting down mulch the next day, and saw a strange object next to a heart stepping stone my sister had given me for Christmas. The weird thing is is that it is such an unusual object, that no one knows what it is. I posted the photo on here two years ago after telling the story about the dream. Here is the "gift" again for the new members to look at. I have shown this object to close to 200 people and everyone has no clue what it is. It is like something from another planet. It definately not man made, it is kind of like a nut shell. It is very hard. The hole in the back is what I poked open to see if anything was inside, and nothing was. It is very strange, and more so strange that it sort of reminds me of a cross. Needless to say, this is my lucky charm...and since I found it in my garden I have been safe and no more freak accidents have happened to me. Here are some photos of it:

Posted Image

the back of it

Posted Image

Wow...whatever that may be its very interesting in appearence, beautiful in a distressed sorta way. Thats also a fascinating/touching story to go with your "good luck" charm...thanks for sharing!
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#51 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

I guess my good luck charms would be this choker-style necklace with my birthstone in it that my maternal granmom gave my mom, and she lets me wear, and a necklace w/a pentangle on it that I bought at Spencers a bit under a year ago. I wear both alot, and find the one from my maternal granmom especially comforting, since I sadly never got to meet her in life.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#52 TravisBelton

TravisBelton

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

I am new here but the topic is interesting. I would have to say that I have several "good luck charms". I have a crystal pendulum that I keep with me almost all the time. I also were a "Chamsa" which is a Jewish symbol. For me it is a reminder of the protective hand of God. It is often called "the hand of Fatima" by those of the Muslim faith. On each side of the "hand amulet" there is a bead with a blue eye painted on it to ward off "the evil eye". So far, it has worked for me.
-Travis

#53 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:24 AM

Some of the things were a telephone pole literally falling over after being undermined by construction and just missing my car, a blade from a commercial lawn mower hit something as I was stopped at a red light and the blade shot through my passenger window past my face and out my driver's window, and I was on my way to have my car serviced at my mechanic up the street and the gas pump blew spewing hot gasoline all under the hood and around the hot engine. My mechanic said my car should have caught on fire and exploded.

I would class those as good luck, not bad... Seen as though you were very lucky to escape unharmed...

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#54 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:26 AM

I put no stock in any good luck / bad luck charms or any thing else. Luck is just a random sequence of events. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. There may be certain things you can do to change the likelyhood of certain forms fo luck from happening, for example the bad luck of you drowning would be reduced extensively if you never went near the water. But that is a factor directly related to the event. Simply carrying a crystal, or setting an icon on your dresser is not directly related to the event. (An argument might be made for just the opposite if, for example, that good luck icon on your dashboard fell and interfered with your brake pedal just as a truck pulled out in front of you. But that's extreme, i admit.)

I do agree regarding Piezo elements, such as quartz having elecrical properties. But that is a matter of physical science, not luck. The energy may be generated anytime force is applied to the crystal, likewise anytime electrical energy is applied the crystal will flex. That has nothing to do with luck though, and aside from the immediate effects measured on the crystal itself, has no influence on anything external unless it is wired into a circuit of some kind.

Other crystals may be used to alter light patterns as it passes through them but again have no effect outside the immediate area. It's only their beauty that makes them attractive.

#55 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

I think Caverat that your right but I also think someones state of mind can effect your 'luck'. For example, you go into an exam without your lucky charm, you think your going to fail, your nervous and already low about 'failing', which heightens the likeliness of you doing bad in the exam. Whereas, you have your lucky charm with you, you feel confident in your abilities and are able to concentrate more.

I think lucky charms are more about comfort factors than luck. Anything can be lucky, I have a 'lucky' rabbit which I found down the back of my waderobe when I redecorated my room the other year, we put the first waderobe in there and none of my family or me have any recolection of seeing it before, so I keep it close at hand now as it comforts me for some reason, unbeknown to me.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#56 Naglfir

Naglfir

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

The weird thing is is that it is such an unusual object, that no one knows what it is. I posted the photo on here two years ago after telling the story about the dream. Here is the "gift" again for the new members to look at. I have shown this object to close to 200 people and everyone has no clue what it is. It is like something from another planet. It definately not man made, it is kind of like a nut shell.

It's a Water Chestnut (Trapa natans)
check out: http://www.invasive....ct.cfm?sub=3499

#57 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

It looked like metal to me in the pictures but i'm glad you cleared it up Naglfir, kudos!
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#58 honeybeary

honeybeary

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, hiking, photography

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

I believe in good luck charms but I don't have one.
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

#59 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

I think Caverat that your right but I also think someones state of mind can effect your 'luck'. For example, you go into an exam without your lucky charm, you think your going to fail, your nervous and already low about 'failing', which heightens the likeliness of you doing bad in the exam. Whereas, you have your lucky charm with you, you feel confident in your abilities and are able to concentrate more.

I think lucky charms are more about comfort factors than luck. Anything can be lucky, I have a 'lucky' rabbit which I found down the back of my waderobe when I redecorated my room the other year, we put the first waderobe in there and none of my family or me have any recolection of seeing it before, so I keep it close at hand now as it comforts me for some reason, unbeknown to me.

I won't argue the fact that a person's state of mind will affect the outcome in those types of situations where the person has some input. You may do better on an exam if you have a positive outlook. That has been proven by research.
But to attribute any power to some inanimate object is irrelevent. If you take the chances of a random event happening it will be the same whether you carry a good luck charm or not. In other words, in both cases, the chances of you being hit by a splat of pigeon doodoo while walking down the street is exactly the same.

#60 cotton08

cotton08

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrub nurse, I have a rescued black lab and another puppy that's half black lab and half Chihuaha (sp?) - strange looking dog, but sweet. I became interested in EVP when my fiance passed. - I wrote about that somewhere else in my profile. (my real name's Connie)<br /><br />I like to swim, go to flea markets and antique malls - I am OBSESSED with anything from the 40's. Don't know why.<br /><br />I use poems, music lyrics, whatever, and make strangely beautiful, poignant 'pieces' out of paper, ripped up towels, glue, newspaper, jewelry, glitter, dirt, sand, anything I happen to see. Hard to describe, you'd just have to see them. That's my favorite thing to do, just create something out of nothing that makes people laugh or cry - brings them outta themselves for a while.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

Here's what I carry at all times!

- A buckeye considered VERY lucky around here

- A dime with tin foil around it. Every New Year's, my mom cooks cabbage and puts a dime in the pot while it cooks. Then, you take that dime out and carry it all year, it brings you good luck. (From the Irish part of my family)

- A small, flat stone - I'm not sure why I carry that, but I always have. I'm not even sure where it came from. It's almost shiny.

- A silver, round piece with an Angel on it, I mistake it for a quarter all the time.

- I also have a scapular, Rosary and pictures of Jesus, but those are not for luck, those are for if something where to happen, they'd know I'm Catholic, but let's not go there! We'll have none of that!

- The hand from a Barbie. Just the hand. Personal story behind that one, but, yeah, I carry Barbie doll body parts in my purse! LOL! :Wall: Well, just that one part!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users