2012!

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#46 erato

erato

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:1. Creative writing, mostly poetry, sporadic prose and script writing... <br />2. Art, I love my pencil *lol* paints to some extent... 3. Movies (except war, mindless killing and romance *ugh*), sci-fi freak for some time now, <br />3. Will read almost anything.. from fantasy to alternative history &amp; religious texts... <br />4.Interested in meeting people with similar interests esp in the supernatural and afterlife (which is why I'm here) <br />5. Spirit cleansing and connection <br />lets see.. yep i think that covers it.. (for now). <br /> <br />If you're interested in poetry, visit my rambling site.. <br />http://of-moons-and-tongues.bebo.com/

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:03 AM

just logged onto this thread and i must say some interesting thoughts and news.. :D I am skeptical about the whole doomsday thing but technology really is taking over (I dont know about being attacked by irons though te hee..) I did watch a programme on ABC (australian network) and there was scientist who demonstrated the whole implanting of a micro-chip in his arm and how he can control electronics with just his mind and hand from a distance etc.. the next step he is taking is to implant a series of chips directly into his brain so that he can simply use his thought.. makes the whole robo-cop thing just a bit more real doesnt it? hmmm.. I do worry about our over dependence on technology though.. just a generation ago our parents could add multiple digits without the aid of a calculator and now kids in primary school use them -- remembering genealogies and events etc... i feel like instead of learning how to use more of our brain, we are using less.. anyone else get this feeling?

2012? well I'll be 39 and hopefully, will make it to 40 :P
In Peace & Light,~Erato“In morals what begins in fear usually ends in wickedness; in religion what begins in fear usually ends in fanaticism. Fear, either as a principle or a motive, is the beginning of all evil.” Anna Jameson---"While I thought I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die" Leonardo Da Vinci ---Friedrich Nietzche: "you must have chaos within you, to give birth to a dancing star" ---George Orwell: "One cannot really be a catholic and grown up" ---

#47 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:38 AM

I'm hopeful, I say bring it.

As simple as that sounds.

#48 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

Most of it is too garbled up in conspiracies. Which anyone can hand pick what they want to believe. Same with 2012. Heck, I saw some silly magazine in the store the other day that said it was sometime in May 2008.

#49 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:18 AM

haha, you are right Oniix. The "mass destruction" idea is just another way to promote fear and gain people to follow specific belief's and nothing more.
Posted Image

#50 corkspa

corkspa

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

just logged onto this thread and i must say some interesting thoughts and news.. ;) I am skeptical about the whole doomsday thing but technology really is taking over (I dont know about being attacked by irons though te hee..) I did watch a programme on ABC (australian network) and there was scientist who demonstrated the whole implanting of a micro-chip in his arm and how he can control electronics with just his mind and hand from a distance etc.. the next step he is taking is to implant a series of chips directly into his brain so that he can simply use his thought.. makes the whole robo-cop thing just a bit more real doesnt it? hmmm.. I do worry about our over dependence on technology though.. just a generation ago our parents could add multiple digits without the aid of a calculator and now kids in primary school use them -- remembering genealogies and events etc... i feel like instead of learning how to use more of our brain, we are using less.. anyone else get this feeling?

2012? well I'll be 39 and hopefully, will make it to 40 :lol:

I have read a SCFI book that reminds me of this. Um...There will be Dragons I believe. Its obviously very different then what you are saying but they were very dependent on "power" and suddenly the power went out and they were thrust into a dark ages kind of life.

As for the Mayan Calender being "off" I heard/read/saw something that it was because we have leap year. Their calender doesnt and this has screwed it up so they dont line up perfect.

Now about the whole 2012 I really dont think much is going to happen. I believe that the Earth, just like everything living on it, moves in a cycle. This might be when we are able to see the changes a little clearer but my belief is that things have been slowly changing for decades. Nothing about this Earth is ever still. It is constantly moving under and around us.

#51 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

If everyone could agree on a single story, it would be helpful. :clap:

#52 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

According to the Mayans, the earth sun and the black hole in the center of the universe will line up on Dec 21, 2012. This particular alignment only happen once every 25,600 years. I suggest you look into the rocks to see what happened 25,600 years ago, and 25,600 years before that.

Scientists have confirmed their is a black hole at the center of the Milky Way. However they say we have the same alignment every year. In fact using math thats way to complicated for most of us they have said that we passed the equatorial plane on Dec 21, 1987.

We are now in the Southern Hemishpere of the Milky Way and will continue to drop further south for the next thirteen thousand three hundred years when we will reach the southern equinox and star moving north again. If you believe our scientists 2012 already happened 25 years before 2012 arrives.

If you look at the data about the magnetic poles you will find they have been moving faster than at anytime in recorded history. All of us have magnetite in our brains which gives us our sense of direction. All mammals have magnetite, this could easily explain the number of whale beachings etc. This is also being used to explain the number of fanatics in the world right now. We are off kilter with the norm.

Another consequence of the alignment is supposed to be that the earth was strecthed slightly on one side as we approached the equatorial plane causing more earthquakes and eruptions and storms. And we will continue to have increased activity as the earth shrinks bact to its normal shape.

I think this might be where the Mayans came up with their predictions, each year as we approached the equator or the Milky Way the earth was streched a little more and after passing the equatorial plane the earth gradually shrinks, after it has resumed it's normal shape the new period begins. This would mean it would first be noticeable around 25 years prior to the date we crossed the equatorial plane and continue for the same time after. This means from 1962 to 1987 we should have had an increase in all these things and after 1987 they should gradually be subsiding until 2012. Then we should be back to what is considered normal activity.

The thing that seems to worry our scientists is now that we are in the Southern Hemisphere of the Milky Way is that it could cause our poles to reverse and it could take until 2012 or even longer for that to happen.

I'm with everyone else on here, don't worry about what you can't control, live life and be happy, don't max out your Visa card just in case. lol

Let the women rule the world, we'll just sit around and drink beer.

Dave
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#53 biada

biada

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:43 PM

If we can somehow manage to mind our own business and quit trying to encroach upon other nations under the guise of democracy and human rights, and stop supporting countries that are encroaching upon their neighbors (giving them $$$), then 2012 shouldn't be a problem.

I predict our invasion Iraq, and future invasion of Iran, Syria and other oil rich nations will soon piss off China and Russia. But remember, they actually have Nukes. And we all know how well we do against countries with no military power. (Iraq, Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan). Imagine going against 2 that can strike back.

#54 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

2012 is the date which the current mayan Calandar ends is all. That is why it is considered significant; the Mayans project nothing beyond that date, so the obvious implication is all will end, right?

Not really. All calandars have a beginning and and ending date, ours is every 365 days (except leap year). The mayans based theirs on epochs, and the current one ends in 2012. When the current calandar was created about 500 years ago it was intended to last till the end of this epoch. Then they would create a new one when the time was right. Unfortunately the Mayan civilization collapsed and there is no one left to make the next calandar. (Odd though, according to the doomsayers, how the Mayans were able to see to the end of the epoch (2012) but were unable to see their own demise...)

So I don't feel the date is any more significant than the year 2011 which preceds it or the year 2013 which will follow. Life will go on, some disasters and some great events, just as has always been the case. All calandars cover a set period and then end, new ones follow, provided there are people using that system to create them.

#55 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

It is interesting how you say the Mayans didn't predict their own demise.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the Mayans but the "experts" I've listened to say they did predict their demise. They even predicted the day that the white bearded god which come from the sea.

Another interesting note about the Mayans, their records show that wasn't their first contact with white man. If I remember correctly they had ocassional contacts hudreds of years previously.

Dave
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#56 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:52 AM

I don't pretend to be an expert on the Mayans but the "experts" I've listened to say they did predict their demise. They even predicted the day that the white bearded god which come from the sea.

Another interesting note about the Mayans, their records show that wasn't their first contact with white man. If I remember correctly they had ocassional contacts hudreds of years previously.

Dave

There are also experts who say this based on the fact that the Mayan Calandar ends is what they based their theories on. That would be like saying we predict our demise every December 31 because our calandar ends. Fact is no one can say with absolute certainty.

Those who claim this calandar did not signify an end of anything base this on their study that indicates it was based on an earlier calandar which did end at the beginning of this one. It appears to be a cycle of epochs repeating much as our yearly calandars do. What exactly each epoch was based on is unknown for certainty, some have suggested a series of lunar cycles where full moons appear in conjunction with the first appearance of Sirius, but that is unproven.

First contact with white men may indeed have taken place earlier as stories from middle eastern sources (Phoenicians, I believe) tell of journies and other peoples they encountered across the seas. Thye may well have crossed the Atlantic, but nothing conclusive has been found to prove it yet that I'm aware of.

The "white bearded god" if that is the exact terminology, raises an interesting question. Does it refer to a Bearded White Man"(Racially) or a god with a white beard? The first could refer to Europeans naturally. In the case of the latter, that could also refer to someone of Mayan culture who rises from the sea. This would require some more research to determine which applies.

#57 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:52 AM

Dave

There are also experts who say this based on the fact that the Mayan Calandar ends is what they based their theories on. That would be like saying we predict our demise every December 31 because our calandar ends. Fact is no one can say with absolute certainty.

Those who claim this calandar did not signify an end of anything base this on their study that indicates it was based on an earlier calandar which did end at the beginning of this one. It appears to be a cycle of epochs repeating much as our yearly calandars do. What exactly each epoch was based on is unknown for certainty, some have suggested a series of lunar cycles where full moons appear in conjunction with the first appearance of Sirius, but that is unproven.

First contact with white men may indeed have taken place earlier as stories from middle eastern sources (Phoenicians, I believe) tell of journies and other peoples they encountered across the seas. Thye may well have crossed the Atlantic, but nothing conclusive has been found to prove it yet that I'm aware of.

The "white bearded god" if that is the exact terminology, raises an interesting question. Does it refer to a Bearded White Man"(Racially) or a god with a white beard? The first could refer to Europeans naturally. In the case of the latter, that could also refer to someone of Mayan culture who rises from the sea. This would require some more research to determine which applies.

#58 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:15 AM

I think I figures out 2012. This is the year my girlfriend and I plan to have a baby. And knowing us, it will be a demon spawn. Yay! We were foretold in history!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#59 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

Found this article on AOL today and thought it was a good read, worth mentioning here...

(July 6) - Survival groups around the world are gearing up and counting down to a mysterious date that has been anticipated for thousands of years: Dec. 21, 2012.

Across the United States, Canada and throughout Europe, apocalyptic sects and individuals say that is the day that the world as we know it will end, ABCnews.com reports.
Ancient Mayan societies, known for their advanced mathematics and astronomy, followed a "long count" calendar that lasted 5,126 years. When their charts are translated to the Gregorian calendar, the international standard used today, time runs out on Dec. 21, 2012.

Believers say there are other links besides just the Mayan calendar that portend catastrophe. The sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way for the first time in about 26,000 years on the same day, which marks the winter solstice. Some say that will disrupt the energy flow to Earth, or that the high rate of sunspots or sun flares that NASA has predicted for 2012 could affect Earth magnetic fields.

Scientists have tried to squash the doomsday scenario as another empty prophesy, but it’s clear there are thousands who consider the possibility of a worldwide catastrophe occurring on that date very real.

"You have to understand, there will be nothing, nothing left," Patrick Geryl told ABC News. "We will have to start an entire civilization from scratch." Geryl, a 53-year-old former laboratory worker who lives in Belgium, quit his job two years ago after he saved up enough money to last him until December 2012. He’s now stocking survival supplies, a list of which runs 11 pages long.

Geryl is certainly not the only one. Searching for "2012 the end of the world" on Google brings up nearly 700,000 hits. More than 6,500 video posts about the day have been posted on YouTube. There are also countless books on the topic, many published in the wake of the success of Daniel Pinchbeck's "2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl," which has been selling thousands of copies each month since it was released last May.

But what do believers think will happen on Dec. 21, 2012? Some say a polar reversal, where the north pole becomes the south, where the sun rises in the west, triggering natural disasters around the world. Others say the date marks a worldwide spiritual awakening.

Experts laugh off these notions. "These prophecies of doom really don't have any basis in what we know about the Maya," said Stephen Houston, an anthropology professor at Brown University and an expert in Maya hieroglyphic writing. "The Maya descriptions barely talk about this event." He said the Mayans saw their calendar coming to an end on the date, but then starting over without any catastrophes.

"Really, it's a conversion of people’s anxieties about our times, and finding some remote mythological precedent or prediction of it," he said. "People like to believe that ancient wisdom is somehow predicting this time of upheaval."

http://news.aol.com/...706152409990001
Posted Image

#60 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

First of all, people are sick and tired of the current world order and how it functions. They need a change, but rather than resorting to doom saying belief's why can't people get their acts together to make the necessary changes to make the world a better place - RIGHT NOW, TODAY!

Edited by MoonDragon, 06 July 2008 - 08:54 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users