2012!

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#91 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

Listen Sharon, there are just some things that need to be left alone. My bad, bad, very bad feeling doesn't have CRAP to do with the "unknown", it's a feeling of "this is something that needs to be left alone". That's fine & dandy that you're all into this and well...whatever. I'm definately not one to keep back investigations of the unknown as Iam just as curious and I get just as excited as what the outcome would be...what will be found. But this *ONE* thing just gives me a very bad feeling about it. I'll go this way with my feeling and you go your way with yours...just don't catagorize me in the same text as those who would still be living in caves......that's not what I'm about.......period.
...I posted that response back in October of last year...you looking for an argument?

:ghost: WOW LaurieAnn I most assuredly was not looking for an argument. I never read your previous post or I would never have made my point known using your quote. It wasn't an attack. It wasn't personal. Your obvious unrest about something I see as just one more giant leap for mankind is not the type of thing I would get in an argument about anyway. If that is the ONE thing that you strongly believe in I respect your feelings. You have clarified your statement I do not put you in the category of cave dwellers. Peace.
My previous point was how THE END OF THE WORLD Scenarios keeps making headlines and that this level of doom and gloom, apocalyptic end of days pessimism is unhealthy for individuals and societies. My daughter has 2 young children and by her own admission has an anxiety disorder and is bi-polar. She is depressed by the constant frightening headlines. Predictions of a doomsday by Mayan calenders, comets and asteroids, Nostradamus, bird flu, hemorhagic fevers, drowning polar bears etc....and scientists somehow doing something they shouldn't sends a pall over the world that needs to lighten up and stop scaring people. Humans do have a future that keeps on getting brighter despite the horrible things we do know such as war, genocide, aids, poverty, hunger, racism etc...That is ONE thing I believe in very strongly.

#92 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

~I apologize then Sharon. I truly feel for your daughter and tell her that I know someone just like her. If ratings would sky-rocket with good news (that no one wants to talk about) like it does with all the bad news, the whole planet would be better of mentally. Not saying that we should be blind to what's really going on, but it would be great to end a news broadcast with great news.

I just refuse to let those out there that live & breath by doom & gloom depict how I plan my day as I have so much to be thankfull for and too many reasons to smile. So all in all, I agree with this last post of yours and again, I apologize if I jumped the gun.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#93 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:47 AM

See, it's just that... fun to speculate.

It is like everything else of this nature, that time will come and go and will be forgotten about.... just like the turning on of the huge collider in Europe, or a whole smattering of other doomsday mile markers.

Edited by Oniix, 19 January 2009 - 09:47 AM.

#94 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

See, it's just that... fun to speculate.

I guess I just don't see why the end of the world (EOTW) is FUN to speculate about. I think flying cars, living on Mars, an underwater motorway with hotels and the like to Europe or Hawaii is fun but in this day and age of Conservative Christians seeing the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse and Armageddon coming any day and actually praying for it along with made for TV disaster flick of the week just over done at this point.

Leading up to Y2K there was even a name for fixating on disaster. It is called millenium psychosis because of the idea of Christ and Armageddon but now it is used to sell newspapers and make bad movies of the week for the Sci-FI Channel. I admit to reading my fair share of this kind of stories but now because I do believe we are going to go on having a brighter future I going to have my fun thinking of happier things. The world is enough of a downer w/o EOTW suppositions.

Sharon

#95 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:14 AM

I admit to reading my fair share of this kind of stories but now because I do believe we are going to go on having a brighter future I going to have my fun thinking of happier things. The world is enough of a downer w/o EOTW suppositions.

I agree that we should think positive and work towards LIFE not DEATH. If you had warning that a tsunami was coming, would you grab a bar of soap and a towel and run towards the water? Doubtful. You'd run away or perhaps build a big ark.

If you feel that something bad will come, prepare to face it, if indeed it comes. We're born to survive and succeed. You can't prepare for everything, but you can still do quite a bit to be ready. You can also do things to increase goodwill on this planet. If enough of us do this, then we can change lots of things.

We're not quite the car careening towards the cliff (if you think we are, you can always carry a parachute with you). Mankind has made it thus far one way or the other, and so have most of the creatures on the planet.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#96 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, mountain biking and general fitness, and ofcourse anything supernaturel, and now also Red vs Blue.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:24 AM

Hey guys

I hope i'm not bringing up a dead topic but i got add my thoughts on the whole "End of the world" thing.

When i was about 13 or 14 years old around about 93 - 94 one of my mates said to me that the world was going to end in 1998, i laughed at them and thought nothing of it, a couple of days later i read an article saying the same thing. A guy called Nostradamus (I didnt know who he was back then) supposedly said years ago that in some form of cryptic message that the date of the end of the world was 1998. From then on i became obssessed(sp?) with the end of the world, i became depressed although i never showed it to anyone, it scared the hell out of me right up untill 1998. When 98 finally arrived i was a nervous wreck, again i never showed it on the surface to my parents or my mates (the term tears of a clown spring to mind, or more like terrifying fear of a clown!) This sounds silly now but whenever i heard a jet plane roaring over head i'd get the clammy hands and my heart would start racing simply because i thought the end was gonna come via a nuclear missile. Anyway 98 passed and obvious to everybody no end of the world came, it was a huge relief to me as a young teenager. But as soon as 98 had gone supposed experts came out of the woodwork and started saying "Sorry everybody but we were wrong, the message actually said 1999" so once again i was miserable!
Anyway since those years way back people have been saying that the world will end on this date and that date and they have never come to pass, so i say dont listen to the doom mongers because it will just make your life pretty crap!
Do i think the world is going to end in 2012? absolutly not, its just another date that these "Experts" have come up with.....again, and to think these people get paid to decypher these hidden messages.

Sorry for going on a bit but it does get to me when people are frightened into believing certain things. Just enjoy life and dont worry about it. :clap:
You're sorta stuck where you areBut, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,or live on mars and have it your wayAnd you hate your boss at your jobwell in your dreams you can blow his head offin your dreams show no mercy]Posted Image

#97 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:25 AM

From the Aztec to the Hebrew calendar to the I ching. so may cultures includeing ours say 2012 is going to be a huge life altering catastrophic occurance.
Even some men of the cloth say 2012 will be the worst ordeal since biblical times.
Whats your Views?

Its the year my drivers license will need to be renewed. in December btw.
I'm just hoping for a decent picture.

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#98 Ike

Ike

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

Of course some tribal calenders end in 2012. BUT. They never SAID it was going to be the end of the world.

The world is supposed to end on the date of our Winter Solstice party. Maybe they were planning the night of our party so their decendants could come *3*
Thats great taylor and Imma let you continue, but Ghostvillage is the best paranormal site of all time~<3

#99 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

:) Well, so far every other date set for the end of the world has come and gone and I am still here I absolutely am not going to sweat another date. My sisters church had a date about 15 years ago but you know we were saved through their prayers. Many fundamentalists want Armageddon so they can get on to Heaven on Earth. Millions of dollars a year are sent to Isreal to rebuild the Temple Mount. I do believe that could be the end of Isreal at least because it is now the Holiest site in Islam.

Oh and Ike I am glad you pointed out that point about the Mayan Calender. How far did we expect it to go. If their civilization had lasted longer the calender might have too.

What I do know is EPIC disaster movies are being made and will make a lot of money. The History Channel and others are doing a lot of end of the world programs again because they have left over footage from the new millenium EOTW scenerios. The movie 2012 comes out this spring and as I love big budget disaster movies I will go see it. The preview of a tsunami crashing over the Himalayas is just to good to pass up. Of course Nicholas Cage has a movie coming out where he has the clues to the EOTW and is trying to stop it. So does Dakota Fanning. So as long as Hollywood is making money and writers who can't write a best seller any other way there are going to be the EOTW at least as we know it story out there to scare us. I guess as I have said before there are people out there that this kind of talk causes a lot of anxiety for. My daughter with 2 young children is one of them. It's a good thing we invented Xanax.

Of course it does take our minds off what is really going on with the economy. For some of us the EOTW as they knew is already here.

Sharon

#100 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

This 2012 noncense branches from the fact that the Mayan calander is supposed to end.
The Mayans were a highly developed civilization, living in the jungles of Mexico and Central-America, though they were inexplicably intelligent for their time, they were also extremely violent, the most war prone civilisation.
The Mayans produced astrological calendars predicting eclipses and working out that the universe is on a circuit. They did all this with their bare eyes; some believe that they were in contact with some sort of ancient being.
This calendar begins on the eleventh of August 3114BC. Common belief has it that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 and that this is going to be the end of the world. In all honesty, there are no records of this and 2012 is just the end of an era, The Mayans were a highly developed civilization, living in the jungles of Mexico and Central-America, though they were inexplicably intelligent for their time, they were also extremely violent, the most war prone civilisation. The Mayans produced astrological calendars predicting eclipses and working out that the universe is on a circuit. They did all this with their bare eyes; some believe that they were in contact with some sort of ancient being.
This calendar begins on the eleventh of August 3114BC. Common belief has it that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 and that this is going to be the end of the world. In all honesty, there are no records of this and 2012 is just the end of an era.
Another cycle will begin on the twenty first of December 2012. Not doomsday.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#101 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

AMEN to that Leonie! One of the most practical post.
Posted Image

#102 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:43 AM

I was watching "Divorce Court" because I was having a bad day and didn't have the energy to bead or color or do something else plus I always have that dribble on in the background anyways.... Well the wife was divorcing the husband because he believed in this 2012 stuff to the point where he was preparing with a group called Apacoplyse-Soon.
I had to go check this group out the url starts on possible causes of doom and I was laughing... They list things such as a black nubula-something that is lightyears away, robots taking over (oh no! my roomba is going to kill me!)... It's almost scary that there are people like that....http://www.apocalyps....com/causes.htm
Love life.

#103 robortwillys

robortwillys

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:10 AM

Hello,
absolutely mate i agree with you did you know the mayans predicted this in there calender. people shouldnt listen to them because they sacrificed people because they thought the sun wouldnt rise if they didnt it proves that these are people not to listen to its all a load of ribbish polar shifts happened many times in the history of the earth the only way we will be wiped out within 2012 is by the supervolcano that is overdue an eruption

#104 Entity

Entity

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:22 PM

lol it is quite funny when people tend to believe more on the doomsday prophecy, is it because they are tired of living?

BTW it would have been wonderful if there were proper punctuations when people post. Makes it easier to understand.

Edited by Entity, 26 November 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#105 Billydew

Billydew

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Reading intelligently written books, listening to music (folk/blues/rock/'50s/'60s/'70s),art,writing poetry, vegetarian cookery, history, animals, astrology and all things mystical, countryside, some T.V., some radio, films, theatre, restaurants, art galleries and museums.

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

I recall watching a T.V. documentary some years back, made by a guy who was following around and interviewing a group of people who all believed that the end of the world was imminent on a specific date. I can't remember now which particular "end of the world" this one was but it occured to me that the documentary maker missed a trick. For some reason he didn't think to go back and interview these people the day after the world was supposed to end, and ask them why they thought it hadn't. I would have loved to hear their theroies on that one!
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again." Thomas Paine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users