How do I tell them what I am

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Wind of Light

Wind of Light

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Playing RuneScape is my number one hobby/interest now.<br />www.runescape.com

Posted 08 March 2004 - 05:39 PM

How do I tell my parents that i am wiccan, my friend told her dad, and he went balistic.  He yelled at her and said she was a santinist, and I dont want my parents to react like that.  How do I tell them????
-Du Súndavar Freohr-===================================--------------------------------------------Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here and drink what comes out"?

#2 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 08 March 2004 - 06:16 PM

Most parents would naturally be concerned if their child left the Church.  Parents are responsible for your welfare (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and financial) until you turn 18.  Their concern doesn't end just because they are no longer legally bound, though.

The coolest parents would explain why they disaprove, but support you whatever your decision.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#3 mnemosyne

mnemosyne

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 06:32 PM

maybe it would help them accept it better if you clearly explained why you made the decision to be wiccan and what it means to you and why it's important. And give them some resources like books and things they can look at so they can see what it is really about and that it's not what the Church told them it was.  Hopefully, they'll accept you for who you are and support the way you want to live your own life.  Good luck to you, let us know how it goes.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.Friedrich Nietzsche

#4 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:12 PM

Most parents dont dream about their child coming to them and telling them they are basically going against their beliefs, I personally have been in your position and my suggestion to you is that you find some information on wicca and present that to your parents to read after you tell them (given they are open and actually want to read it)All you can do is try and inform them of what exactly Wicca is all about because i'm sure they'll have a preconceived notion already about what Wicca is and isnt...hope you keep us informed on how it goes, my blessings are with you, hope all goes well :)
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#5 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:14 AM

WOL, Be honest, help them understand your choice and if you look at it, the basic tenants are similar, compassion, love, understanding for others*I think I'd wait to explain m/f aspects of nature and the divine, Willow and Aloha have really good points
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 02:42 PM

You didn't mention, but how old are you?  Do you still live at home with your parents?  If you're an adult and live on your own, you don't really have to "come out" to them over it, maybe just little things at time until they are a bit closer to being receptive
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 lindigo

lindigo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 03:30 PM

I'm a pagan, with strong Wiccan leanings.   I haven't come out of the broom closet to most (my hubbie knows and of course the folks I've met at local pagan meet-and-greets).

I've also wondered about how to approach the subject, although I don't feel a pressing need to tell everyone.

I picked up a lovely little book at a local New Age/occult/mysticism bookstore.  It's called "Paganism" and is a small book, an easy read,  beautifully printed with beautiful photographs.  It's not exactly about Wicca in that it doesn't go into details about ritual and that, but covers general beliefs and philosophy.  I bought it because I think it would very clearly explain my beliefs to someone if I came out to them.

Details:
Paganism
by: Vivianne Crowley
Published by: Thorsons ("an imprint of  Harper Collins Publications") 2000
ISBN: 0 00 710334 4

Linda

#8 Wind of Light

Wind of Light

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Playing RuneScape is my number one hobby/interest now.<br />www.runescape.com

Posted 09 March 2004 - 03:33 PM

I am 13, masquarade.
-Du Súndavar Freohr-===================================--------------------------------------------Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here and drink what comes out"?

#9 rattie_lover

rattie_lover

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 05:33 PM

i used to be a wiccan and became agnostic. i know what your going through.i told my parents i did wicca and they thought i was very odd childe. not that i'm agnostic my dad calls me a satanist......lol and i'm going to hell. i think i should of kept them believing on i was a wiccan i guess. thats my dad though. your parents might be differant.  :)
<: 3 )~.<-----rat, can u tell.love, nicolemy own website: http://nicolekruetzfeldt.tripod.com/

#10 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:32 AM

Wind of Light, you are very young and of course your parents would be concerned...I think you need to give your self some more time to learn about yourself and other religions before you make any true decisions.  Good luck
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,352 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:33 AM

yes Masquarade is right. Give yourself some more time before you decide, try to understand more of what Wiccan means, and also try to understand more of the beliefs that you were in. Perhaps you will "understand".

God Bless.
Posted Image

#12 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 12:58 PM

I would recomend printing up a simple definition. One that explains that it is not a form of Satanism, but rather a respectful worship of the Earth and the various form of Nature. Give them a copy and tell them it's something you've been reading about and researching and then tell them why it apeals to you. Ask yourself the same question. Do you wish to practice out of a love of Nature and the planet? Or is it a quest for power? If it is the second, you may wish to reconsider. I honestly believe that no diety wants worshipers who are only in it for power, but rather for personal growth and a closer relationship to the Divine, no matter what name you call it. Good luck, and please let us know what you decied to do.
Mykiedave
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#13 mnemosyne

mnemosyne

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:40 PM

I agree with the others. You should probably wait awhile before you completely decide. I mean, in a year or a few years you might change your mind. You should definately keep your options open. Follow the path you feel is right, but don't lock yourself into anything to early on.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.Friedrich Nietzsche

#14 Wind of Light

Wind of Light

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:44 AM

I need a realy good website, where i can get the perfect definiton for Wicca.

#15 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:46 AM

What do you mean? the most tactful, or the most technically correct?  I think any of the wiccans here will be able to tell you the true meaning of Wicca.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users