• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 psychoblonde

psychoblonde

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 11:08 AM

Well, if you have read any of my other posts, you know that I am quite annoyed with the "ghost hunting groups" in my area.

One of the things that annoys me can best be summed up in the following encounter that I had with a "Wiccan".

This was my first time out with a "group" and we were investigating a local cemetary.  I was more or less stumbling around because I had no clue what we were doing.  When we got to the site, we were told to "do our thing"...well, I have no idea what my "thing" is.

During my stumbles, I happened upon a girl using a Ouija board.  Now my experience with the board has alway been courtesy of "Hasbro"(or whoever it is that makes the game board) and I really had never thought to use this as an actual tool.

So after the investigation, I was curious as to how this worked and I struck up a conversation with this individual....asking her how she learned to use the board?  Why she felt it worked? and so forth.  She gave me the basic answers.  That was all fine. She asked how I liked this group and I told her I was still feeling the waters as I was new.  She then went on to tell me that she hated the group, but stayed with them because they were the only group in the area that "did" anything.  I asked her why she hated the group(expecting to get an answer that was similar to my reason for not being interested in the group) and she told me she hated the group because she was the only Wiccan in the group and that there wasn't even another Pagan in the group.  She then got up on her soapbox and proceeded to tell me that only Wiccans and Pagans have any real connection with the spirit world and that the rest of us just "imagine" it.

Needless to say, this was another eye opening experience for me (and I am old enough to have had many of these, but this one knocked my socks off!).

So I would like to hear from the Wiccans and Pagans of these boards, do you have an advantage or connection with the Spiritual world?  And if so, Why?  

Thanks for helping me in my quest to figure this out!

PB

#2 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 25 April 2003 - 11:26 AM

Hey PB.
I can tell you that from my experience, I'd say you'd have to be a sensitive. Just cause you are Wiccan or Pagan doesn't mean much. I mean I go to cemeteries and it's my friend who's a sensitive that feels stuff or my sister who happens to be Wiccan as well and i'm left standing there like a lump.

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

• Guests

Posted 25 April 2003 - 04:48 PM

Sounds like someone who really doesn't have a clue about Pagans or Wicca. I don't believe that being an empath has anything to do with what a persons faith/religious beliefs happen to be. Having lived 29 of my 43 yrs as a Pagan, it has been my experience that there are fanatics in every faith/religion. Sorry you ran into a wacko,JMO ;).

#4 bobzoency

bobzoency

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:58 PM

I don't really think you have to be Wiccan or Pagan to be able to contact spirits.  Some people are naturally better at it and some need to work a lot harder at it (like me!).  I definitely don't think religious preference has a factor in it at all even though some religions try to repress intuition and psychic abilities in their followers while others encourage it.  I have never seen a spirit or spoken to one, but sometimes I get the feeling that someone I can't see is there with me.  My brother and cousin have been able to see and contact spirits quite often.  I don't really have a religion, I prefer to call them spiritual beliefs, but if you have to call me something, it would be a Gnostic, or seeker of truth.

#5 psychoblonde

psychoblonde

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 08:36 AM

Ahhh, thanks gang.  Appreciate the feedback.  I think this person might just have had an attitude problem!

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 29 April 2003 - 11:04 PM

Pals, recently in a web site I came across different forms of Wicca! What is the major difference between all these? Is it only in practises? Or is the base belief itself different? Does the term Witch applies to Wicca only? Are all Wiccans Witches? or ar all Withces Wiccans? Enlighten plz...... :;)
Posted Image

#7 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:20 AM

Sounds like someone who really doesn't have a clue about Pagans or Wicca. I don't believe that being an empath has anything to do with what a persons faith/religious beliefs happen to be. Having lived 29 of my 43 yrs as a Pagan, it has been my experience that there are fanatics in every faith/religion. Sorry you ran into a wacko,JMO ;).

Couldn't of said it any better (except i'm younger at 27,lol) but you really have met the wrong person to speak on behalf of Pagan/Wiccans, trust me, we aren't all like that hun!
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#8 Moose

Moose

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 09:38 AM

Pals, recently in a web site I came across different forms of Wicca! What is the major difference between all these? Is it only in practises? Or is the base belief itself different? Does the term Witch applies to Wicca only? Are all Wiccans Witches? or ar all Withces Wiccans? Enlighten plz...... :;)

Hear that?  It's the sound of a can of worms opening.  There are many types of paganism and wicca, and the people that practice them.  One of my favorites is the IRAB (I Read A Book!).  This is the person that reads one book and becomes an instant Priest/Priestess.  They have the inside track on all manner of hidden knowledge, and can tell for a fact that you're doing it wrong.
There are others who claim that they belong to a tradition that has been handed down in an unbroken line since about a month after humans came down from the trees.
However, the majority are people, regardless of age, who have a desire to study the Craft and all it entails.  Some have more of a spiritual connection than others.  Some have that connection awakened or heightened through study.  Some never have it.  I don't think that being part of a particular religion makes one more sensitive, but people may be drawn to a particular religion because of their sensitivities.

Does that help, or just confuse things further?

Moose
Come. It is time to keep your appointment with the Wicker Man.

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 03 May 2003 - 02:58 AM

Hi Villagers, I found this to be fascinating, and perhaps for a new comer like me, informative. Perhaps it could help you all! Check it out ;)

http://www.julen.net...ative_Theories/
(this is a portal)

http://www.sacred-te...m/bos/index.htm
(a good portal that was refered to from the previous mentioned)

http://www.homestead...ites/index.html
(yet another one from the above mentioned portal - but found to be good)
Posted Image

#10 Acacia

Acacia

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 12:03 AM

To answer further the question of the different forms of Wicca:
The different branches of Wicca typically deal with different deity systems.  Wicca itelf has only a few "hard set" rules (such as the Rede), the rest comes from personal belief.  People of different Traditions (types of Wicca) follow the belief structures/deity systems of a particular pagan people (such as Egyptian Wicca, Hermetic Wicca, Fairy Wicca, etc).  That's the main difference, in a nutshell (of course, this makes no two Wiccans the same).

Now, as for the "witch" question: All Wiccans can* (according to preference...some, like me don't like the term "witch") be considered witches, but not all witches are Wiccan.  There are witches of other pagan beliefs.  Again, it's all determined by belief structure.  Not all witches follow the Wiccan "rules", but all Wiccan Witches do (or are supposed to...all but those dratted IRAB's and Witchy In The Nights and the like, but I don't really consider them Wiccan...just like they likely wouldn't consider me Wiccan, lol).

As for the original question on this thread, I DON'T think that the "wee-jee" girl knew what she was talking about.  Likely she was an IRAB Wiccan and thought she could enlighten someone.  I mean, Wicca's only technically been around for 50 or so years (though it's roots are in paganism), and there were mediums long before that.  I mean, I can see where being a pagan could teach you some of the essential skills to heighten your abilities more than, say, Christianity could, but that doesn't mean that a Christian can't see ghosts.  ;)
Many Blessings,
Acacia
www.angelfire.com/rpg2/lanaiwww.bumpinthenight.org

• Guests

Posted 13 November 2003 - 02:43 PM

:;)

I am a witch and I know people who are not, and they are just as sensitive to those things that cannot be seen as I am.  I don't think that the religion you choose to associate yourself with determines your ability to sense forces and beings that are not seen.  Some people are just born really sensitive to the energies that are constantly flowing around us.  Besides myself, there are four other people in my family who are highly sensitive.  My son for example can "see"  what I can't sometimes.  He has been telling me since we moved into my apartment four years ago that there is man in the house.  He told me what he looked like.  Then there were some other happenings in the house that made me :o want to investigate just recently to confirm what he has been seeing and what I have been feeling.  Well turns out, there is a male spirit in my house.  I have mailed some tapes with some great EVPs on them to KRCguns and he will post them for all to here.  I am the only witch in my family, but I am not the only sensitive.  I think it is a wonderful gift, but at the same time a scarry one.  Just don't think that you have to belong to a certain religion to be considered legite when you feel or see the spirits around you.

#12 crazyjaney

crazyjaney

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:14 PM

That's about right, coming across this idiot. Sorry you had to deal with that junk - some really just need to get off that power/ego boost thinking they're better than others for one reason or another.

Believe me when I say not all of us are that way - at least not this heathen woman.  ;)

#13 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 03:42 PM

Hmmm...interesting encounter you had, Psychoblonde.

I've known both Pagan Sensitives and Christian Sensitives, so I don't really think theological/spiritual beliefs have anything to do with the ability to see/interact with spirits
at all...its in your approach and how they view you. I have also known people of different belief systems who felt that no good whatsoever could come of talking with the dead, that
spirits/ghosts were demons. I don't happen to agree, but they are entitled to their views
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#14 bennubaby

bennubaby

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:38 PM

you dont have to be wiccan or pagan to see spirits. a true wiccan or pagan will have the advantage because they are naturally peacefull and very receptive.  however judging from her response, she is not a true wiccan/pagan.  the main reason why people like the ancients and wicans and pagans today are more in tune with the spirit world is in their understanding. the see the effects of their beliefs and respect them. they are not like some hardcore religionists who worship books or human words and symbols. they wish to learn from life and seek nothing from this path but knowledge and oneness. thats the theory behind it anyway.

#15 yawn

yawn

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:46 PM

I don't think there are any advantages to being wiccan or pagan to see or communicate with spirits...I happen to be a Christian who is able to connect with spirits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users