33 replies to this topic

#16 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:52 PM

Yes axlfoley, it was Charles Berlitz. So long ago. I remember after reading it and wondering why no one was investigating this mysterious place.
I never hear about it anymore.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#17 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

I think the best reason for the greater disappearances in the past vs. the present is mainly the type of navigational equipment. With the modern GPS technology using satellite instead of the earth's magnetic field it makes the disappearances less common.

That's true, but only if you believe the disappearances are simply pilots and captains getting lost at sea, with no mysterious or paranormal reasons behind the disappearances....just failed navigation technology.

What is your opinion, Axman? What do you think goes on out there?

I guess I should have clarified. I think there's something disrupting the magnetic pull of the earth there. I recall seeing a story about the flight 19 where they had made contact via radio to the base. Seems to me the story told of the lead pilot reporting a malfunction in the compass. When they we able to get a visual of the surroundings, they mistook the Bermuda islands as the Florida keys. When they regained the compass they thought they had to fly northwest to Florida when in fact they were heading out into the Atlantic Ocean. They simply ran out of fuel and went down.

GPS, doesn't rely on the magnetic pull of the earth only satellites.

Edited by Axman, 28 February 2008 - 06:06 PM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#18 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

The Bermuda AND the Dragon Triangle ( the other Ofical(??) Triangle) seem to keep popping up every now and again, but would really love to hear the Grandfather story, should that opportunity arise! Not to make light of a personal loss, but would be very interesting to learn about him!
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

#19 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

I'd only vaguely heard of the Dragon's Triangle before...but for anyone who's interested, here's a very informational link: Devil's Sea

Here's a link to the theory of Vile Vortices. It's an interesting theory, to say the least. The theory seems to coincide with the the locations of the Bermuda Triangle and the Dragon's Triangle, and cites 10 other theoretical triangles across the globe as well. There are many other links to explain it, and some go into more detail than others. If anyone's interested, just Google "Vile Vortices".
Posted Image

#20 spiritdoc

spiritdoc

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Learning about and discussing all things universal and spiritual, the realms of the human condition and psyche, watching "para"normal shows like Most Haunted, a good English pub and a pint, fine international wines, languages and communication, travel, old cities with character and history... and, basically, just helping the world move into a better space while I'm here... oh, and of course... dogs and dolphins!

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

...would really love to hear the Grandfather story, should that opportunity arise! Not to make light of a personal loss, but would be very interesting to learn about him!

I did get some details again from mom about my Grandfather's incident:

The name of the cargo airline he was flying for at the time was Expresso Aero (very well known), the flight was from Havana to Key West and he wasn't even scheduled to fly that day but did a fellow pilot a favor in taking his flight so he could attend his mother's funeral (sheeeesh, when it's your time, it's your time!)

The 1945 flight details go like this:

They started to lose altitude and radioed in their position and altitude loss rate, after failed attempts at regaining altitude, they radioed in an official Maday and proceeded to dump cargo... flight deck communications were lost soon there after and never heard from again.

Now, my Grandfather was a career, South American military pilot... In fact he was head of the Ecuadorian Air Force and was the only pilot the President of the country would fly with. This was not very likely pilot error, but either equipment or natural malfunction of the Triangle kind.

I'll look up the logs if possible on them, but it's unlikely any information is still around...

Edited by spiritdoc, 29 February 2008 - 09:56 PM.

SpiritDoc

#21 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

I'm not as knowledgeable as you all in this topic but for all who disappeared...if they ever return will they still be looking as they did when they disappeared all those years ago? I saw Close Encounters (on VHS), will it be like that?
If the Bermuda Triangle people returned what would you say /ask them? hmmm...might be another topic, up to you mods...

#22 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:04 AM

I'm not as knowledgeable as you all in this topic but for all who disappeared...if they ever return will they still be looking as they did when they disappeared all those years ago? I saw Close Encounters (on VHS), will it be like that?
If the Bermuda Triangle people returned what would you say /ask them? hmmm...might be another topic, up to you mods...

Depends on where it is they actually went. If it is some kind of time warp or similar phenomena, they could show back up at any time, looking exactly as they did when they left...as if they time traveled to the future. Maybe they're not even aware that they went anywhere. Maybe they're "stuck" in time. Maybe they're in another dimension, happily living out an alternate reality. Maybe they went through a wormhole and ended up on the other side of the galaxy. Or maybe they just all crashed and died. :(

Unless one of the missing pilots or seamen pop up out of their vortex to let us know, I doubt we'll figure it out anytime soon. But if they did show up back on planet Earth, I know my first question would be "What the....?"
Posted Image

#23 spiritdoc

spiritdoc

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Learning about and discussing all things universal and spiritual, the realms of the human condition and psyche, watching "para"normal shows like Most Haunted, a good English pub and a pint, fine international wines, languages and communication, travel, old cities with character and history... and, basically, just helping the world move into a better space while I'm here... oh, and of course... dogs and dolphins!

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:46 AM

Nah... I really, really don't feel that's gonna happen. At least not in my Grandfather's case, I know for a fact he's gone out of body (and I hope it was instant) as I've had his Soul channel through someone once briefly and he said he was getting ready to "recycle" again.

But who knows... who knows.
SpiritDoc

#24 jimi

jimi

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Discuss the traingle >_<

well im kinda new to this but i do know a few things about a lot of what happens in several areas of the world... the brimuda triangle also known as the devils triangle some reasons were magnetic fields many people have disappeared in that area it was also said that the lost city of atlantis was in that area when the continents were all together but know one really knows it has always made me think about what would happen if i were to sail into the triangle and if you want to know any thing more on this contact me at james.stoetzer@yahoo.com i want to hear what every one has to say i guarantee i will not say anything bad about it i like any information that might help me

#25 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

My thoughts are that this is mostly just a lot of legends developed over the years, mostly from times when navigation and communication was not what it is today. Several factors lead to the number of incidents in this area.

First is navigation. Even the P-51 planes of the WW2 era relied primarily on simple comasses for navigation. that and radio communication. If they were not where they believed they were, and followed a direction based on such a reading, they easily could have simply flown out to sea thinking they were headed home. Eventually they simply ran out of fuel.

Second is traffic. The area has some of the heaviest traffic anywhere. Thus it stands to reason that it would have a greater number of incidents.

Third is weather. The area is known for sudden, violent storms because of converging air masses. Until recently ships at sea may not have even been aware of a hurricane until they encountered it. And before radio there was no way of letting anyone know, the ship just vanished, cause unknown.

Fourth, the legend itself. If one is expecting something paranormal, often that is what is ascribed to it. Even when the cause is something mundane.

While this doesn't mean nothing unexplained ever happened there, it does explain why the area seems much more paranormal when in fact there is no more or no less activity there than most other places. Certainly there have been reports of magnetic alonamlies with compasses, etc there. But these have been reported many other places too. I don't feel it is any worse in the Devil's Triangle than anywhere else.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#26 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

I can't remember what show I was watching, where they were exploring another possibility for ships and planes disappearing in the triangle--apparently they were suspecting underwater sources of gas (can't remember which one--maybe methane), which, when released and emitted above the surface in great enough amounts, can stall an engine because it chokes the oxygen out and stops the combustion.

Sounds a little iffy, but possible, I suppose.

#27 jimi

jimi

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

I can't remember what show I was watching, where they were exploring another possibility for ships and planes disappearing in the triangle--apparently they were suspecting underwater sources of gas (can't remember which one--maybe methane), which, when released and emitted above the surface in great enough amounts, can stall an engine because it chokes the oxygen out and stops the combustion.

Sounds a little iffy, but possible, I suppose.

well if that be the case how come none of the missing vessels or air crafts that have disappeared in that area why were no parts of wreckage from plans washed up on shores of islands and how come the ships never appear again when your on a ship and your sailing you have to know about the currents cause eventually the ship would eventually come back into view on satilite

#28 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

Chestnut, the theory you mention also explains why these ships don't wash up on shore; they sink. What is purpoted to happen is that large quantities of gas surface as you suggest. This gas is in the form of small bubbles mixed in with the water. However this has nothing to do with the engines stalling.

Instead the water, containing this gas is much less dense than water alone. When a ship encounters this type of situation, it is much denser than the gas and water mixture. Thus it rides much lower in the water, in many cases so low that it no longer can stay above the water line. It takes on water and sinks. This could actually happen very quickly, especially if the sailors didn't have time to close water tight compartments and doors.

I would point out this is simply a theory, one which has been confirmed in the laboratory. However no one has actualy encountered such a gas pocket in the sea, nor reported it. Such conditions have been found around thermal features though, and in fact gas has been found mixed with water in this maner in the crater of inactive volcanos. So it is assumed such conditions might exist in the triangle and might affect ships, although no proof has been found so far.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#29 babalon1919

babalon1919

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

there is a place in Mexico called the "Zone of Silence"
i only just found it out a few days ago
there is much that interests me about Mexico including the following, but i had never come across this information until just this last week.

search for it, at Google maps, with
*Zone of Silence, Mexico*

it is in Mexico, in Chihuahua, in the proximity of a place known as "Acatita Dunes" or "Las Dunas de Acatita"

this place is supposedly littered with meteorites and has some sort of phenomenon related to electromagnetism. radio transmissions are said to have been "swallowed up"

NASA found out about it while retrieving an errant rocket, that had flown from the White Sands Proving Grounds down into this strange area of Mexico. it seems that the rocket's destination was also the cause of the rerouted path it took - kind of like a strange magnet in the ground.

well, anyway, i don't know enough, yet, to go on about it, but here is a link to a page about it in Wikipedia:
Mapimí Silent Zone
and, as, usual, the coordinates are in the upper right hand of the wiki page.
you can't really see anything, but more to see whereabouts it is, on the globe.

my point being that perhaps this is the same general thing
that is going on in the Bermuda Triangle.

not quite next-door, but also not all that far away from this odd place, is the Giant Crystal Cave, recently discovered in Naica, Mexico:
nat'l geographic site link
Giant Crystal Project site

:toilet:

this led to a personal epiphany of great import, the other day!
GIANT crystals....WOW
they had already knocked my socks off when i first heard about them, some time ago,
but then the possibilities really floored me when i found out about the *Zone of Silence*
and then, today, again, reading this thread, i had another *a-ha* moment

opinions, anyone?
Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. [Kahlil Gibran]

#30 lillycat

lillycat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

40 years ago I was a child on a Cunard cruise liner and as soon as we entered the triangle compasses, my dad kept one in his dressing case, went wild and we hit a storm unlike anything I have ever experienced and I have made atlantic cruise liner crossings and taken many Carribean cruises. I love sea travel but this was bizarre! It ended as abruptly as it had suddenly began. There was horrendous rocking of the ship but with no major weather pattern. I do not have any idea what the triangle is or is not. I just know it was the most terrifying experience of my life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users