15 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

Keeping in line with the board of the month, Willow and I have decided to start a thread to discuss Women In Folklore.

Throughout history, we have all heard the tales of Johnny Appleseed, Buffalo Bill, Davy Jones, etc, but what about the women who made history? We know they have been there too.

So share with us some of the folklore from your part of the world, about the women who made a difference.
Posted Image

#2 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:04 PM

Calamity Jane
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#3 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

Oops, forgot the link! Calamity Jane

Then there's "Little Sure Shot" Annie Oakley!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#4 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

Ah, Annie Oakley...I know all about her! My uncle used to call me Little Annie Oakley when I was younger...and I bet I could shoot with the best of 'em! :)
Posted Image

#5 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Ah, Annie Oakley...I know all about her! My uncle used to call me Little Annie Oakley when I was younger...and I bet I could shoot with the best of 'em! :)

I seen the History Channel show about Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show where they showed Annie Oakley shooting. She was quite the limber gal!

#6 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

I think she's interesting simply because she looks all prim and proper, innocent even, but the way she can handle a gun...well, I wouldn't wanna mess with her!
Posted Image

#7 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:37 PM

Considering she was an ace shot at the age of 12, you bet! She was definitely an interesting individual.

#8 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

Ah crap, screwed up the Annie Oakley link http://www.cowgirls....gals/oakley.htm

#9 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

I think she's interesting simply because she looks all prim and proper, innocent even, but the way she can handle a gun...well, I wouldn't wanna mess with her!

That's EXACTLY how I felt about my ex-girlfriend who was a cop. It's not easy breaking things off with someone when you know they're packing heat.

#10 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:30 PM

Annie Oakley is a good one, I had a doll of her when I was a lil girl but sadly...a gun in my hands is not a good thing.

Its hard to find many women in folklore Justa :vampire: Here's my contribution...

Agustina de Aragón

Posted Image

Agustina Raimunda María Saragossa Doménech, or Agustina de Aragón, (1786 - 1857) was a famous Spanish heroine who defended Spain during the Spanish War of Independence, first as a civilian and later as a professional officer in the Spanish Army. Known as "the Spanish Joan of Arc,"[1][2] she has been the subject of much folklore, mythology, and artwork, including sketches by Francisco de Goya.

Augustina via Wikipedia

*love Goya's works hence this is the only way I came across finding out about her*
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#11 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

I consider folklore as being either real or fictitious. The real people of folklore were the "pop-culture" or historical icons of yesteryear. Most of the women I remember in folklore are from U.S. folklore. Since Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane were real people with fictitious names they seem to have what legends are made of. Sacagawea was another of those women of legend who deserves the recognition here in this thread.

#12 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:21 AM

When I think of folklore, I think of tall tales like Paul Bunyan and John Henry. Here's one about the first wife of Pecos Bill:

Slue-foot Sue
retold by
S. E. Schlosser

Now, Pecos Bill had a way with women. No doubt. He had dozens of wives during his time. But his one true love was Slue-foot Sue. She was his first wife - and she could ride almost as good as Bill himself.

Bill first saw Slue-foot Sue ridin' a catfish down the Rio Grande. She was riding standing up and holdin' on with only one hand sose she could take pot-shots at the clouds with her six-shooter. Was making a right pretty pattern too. Bill jest went head over heels for her. Proposed on the spot. They was married the next day too.

Sue was dressed in one of them white jobs with the large hoops. Looked plumb beautiful. Right after they was married, Sue insisted Bill prove how much he loved her by letting her ride his horse, Widow-maker. Bill couldn't talk her out of it, so Sue climbed on that great devil of a horse.

Well, Widow-Maker bucked like a maniac, jest as you'd expect. Sue was thrown off - clear up to the clouds. Luckily, Sue was still wearing her springy hoop. When she hit the ground, she bounced up again. But we all soon realized Sue couldn't stop bouncing. She bounced so high she kept hitting her head on the moon. She was crying and crying buckets of tears, and throwin' kisses to her new husband. But even he couldn't stop her bouncing.

We waited three days and four nights. Finally, even Bill realized that she was gonna starve to death before she stopped bouncing, so he had to shoot her. It was a cryin' shame. Well, time heals wounds, and Bill finally got married again. And again. And again. But I'm tellin' you, he never felt the same about another woman as he felt for his first wife, Slue-foot Sue.

Edited by Shawn333, 11 March 2008 - 11:22 AM.

#13 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

I dont know if this counts as folklore but Boudica Queen of the Iceni... She inspired me, read all the books :wub: She was a real person though around 25 to 62 AD

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

I'd say she definitely counts, Leonie. The same way that Annie Oakley was a real person, but took on legendary status. I'd never heard of her before now and had to do some quick reading. She sounds like a really interesting figure with a very interesting history.

#15 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

Yeh she was amazing :whee:

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users