Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Giving Ghosts Names!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Naming Ghosts

What do you think about naming ghosts?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bparanormal

Bparanormal

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

What is up with people giving a name to a ghost?

A lot of places that have been investigated have herd about a certain ghost that even had a name. Some have names that have been given because of history. What do you guys think?
Posted Image

#2 HalloweenPixie

HalloweenPixie

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:nature, animals, the paranormal, computers, arguing politics, telling guys how to fix mechanical things especialy when the answer is jumping right at them and then telling them "I told you so" when they figure it out much later

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

If it's going to be sticking around then giving it a name shows that you recognize that it's really there. To me it sure beats the heck out of calling it 'the ghost". Also, if you have multiple spirits around and have no clue who they are then giving them individual names can help them figure out which one of them you're talking to.
Be brave enough to journey into the unknown for only through that journey can we grow. Pixie

#3 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

I'll weigh in on this one. If you know the name of the ghost or spirit, then by all means call him/her by name. However, if you do not know the name of said entity, then my feeling is NOT to randomly name it. For example if there was a person in my place of work and they didn't know me, I wouldn't want them to just make up a name to call me. I think that would be very insulting.

If you feel the spirit in a place is male or female, then be proper and address him or her as Mr. or Ms. You can say to him/her that you are having trouble discerning their name and would like to refer to them as the Spirit who lives in the cellar, or the Spirit who makes the banging noises, or whatever it is that particular spirit does. Then ask the spirit if he/she would mind if you call him "Sam" for example and ask him to show a distinct sign to indicate Yes or No. How does that sound?

Remember they were living, breathing human beings at one point who had names, lives and real identities, so it is important to honor them in death as they were in life.

Welcome to Ghostvillage, Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#4 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

It seems to me that if a person gives a ghost a name there is a good possibility that the name was given to them by some means. Most people are sensitive to some point even if they dont realize it.
Another possibility, its silliness that makes it more comfortable for the fleshies. Hauntings are very frightening to most people. When a book falls from a shelf the average person imagines the horror movies they've seen and half expects blood to start dripping from the walls and flying cloaked entities to corner them in the shower with a scythe. Giving it a human name humanizes the activity. Instead of an unknown terror, its George up to his tricks again.
There is nothing left to say.Me

#5 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

Exactly Kira!

Thats the way they should be addressed, especially when you don't know who they are. We can not just assume we know.
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#6 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

I have to agree with Seeker on this one. I think you may get certain vibes from a spirit as to their name. after all if you are open enought to feel their presents you are gona be open to their name as well.
Good question.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#7 HalloweenPixie

HalloweenPixie

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:nature, animals, the paranormal, computers, arguing politics, telling guys how to fix mechanical things especialy when the answer is jumping right at them and then telling them &quot;I told you so&quot; when they figure it out much later

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

By constantly calling it "the ghost in the cellar" then haven't you in effect given it a name? It may not be a name as in what we'd traditionally think of as a name but a name none the less.
Be brave enough to journey into the unknown for only through that journey can we grow. Pixie

#8 ~*Jazzy*~

~*Jazzy*~

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal happenings...and being able to discuss odd things without people running at you with a straight jacket!!<br /><br />Places I've had the luxury of investigating:<br /><br />Waverly Hills (Louisville, Kentucky)<br />Moundsville State Pen (West Virginia)<br />Prospect Mansion (Ohio)

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

I, too have to agree with Seeker on this one. The activity just doesn't seem as fearsome if you have a name to go with it. Therefore, I named mine Harry! lol Doesn't seem to mind and things do settle down somewhat when I refer to him as Harry. Perhaps the name was given to me, perhaps not. Doesn't seem to bother anyone too much when I say "It's just Harry again". BUT, if I said..oh it's just the ghost in the parlor I'd probably have people running out of my house! lol
Posted Image Thanks Aloha!!!The MAN on the cover of GQ that is in my profile pic is the LOVE of my life!

#9 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:05 PM

Good poll topic. I didn't answer the poll, however as I don't think I am the one who named the entity. For me, the name comes to my mind - I either see it or hear it. None of the poll options matched this for me.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#10 Gifted

Gifted

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

Of all the spirits I've come in contact with through out the yrs..only two have been given names.
One "came" to me. Frank...however, a friend whom is sensitive also ,(Bill) said his (the spirit)name is/was John Francis (sp). Bill also said he found that out in a bit of a conversation they'd had..Frank saying, "my name is John Francis, but she calls me Frank. "( I've a terrible habit of shortening a name) Frank came to me out of the blue! I had no idea.

The other I gave..Curious George...George for short...whom is/was a child.
He was very curious about the new technology when it comes to toys.
We had or I should say..he had a grand ole time one yr at Toys R Us.
I was truely stunned and amused by it all..he was setting all the electronic toys off that was within our area...within his reach.

#11 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:43 PM

I would ask if I could call an entity something (or if their name is a name that pops into my head when I think of the person).

The ghost in my MIL's house has a name that's not his name that everyone calls him, however. He thinks it's funny that he's been called Spencer by everyone in the family and the former owners of her house. He declines to say what his name is (but my 3-year-old talks to "Edgar" when he's over there so I suspect that's his real name) and prefers the mystery of being an unknown and unknowable person.

SO... I do think it's a tad disrespectful to arbitrarily name a ghost... but some ghosts find it amusing and I honestly think any acknowledgment of their humanity is better than saying "the ghost in the bathroom".

#12 Bparanormal

Bparanormal

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:31 AM

Good answers all of you,

I am the one who created the post and this is just the reactions I was looking for. I personally believe to personify something is to brin that objest or idea or activity down to your lvl. And those of you who said it would make it less of a thret I agree with people name should name them so they can feal more confortable with them. If they where not confortable well that is because they dont understand them and we all know where that goes... Can you say panic and spending more money then you should!

Well not all spirits can be named do to the common fear of the entity its self. I.e Demon haunts or poltergeist activity. Some people are so afraid to be near a room that has claims of those type of hauntings let alone name them what do you guys have to say about that?
Posted Image

#13 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

When you get into the demon haunts that is a diffrent story. You'r right about the fear. No one wants to name fear, that gives it power. Evil has it's own name anyway. you'll notice most times ppl will call it "the entity". you can feel good from bad. It's that somthing is not quite right feeling that you get.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#14 ~*Jazzy*~

~*Jazzy*~

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal happenings...and being able to discuss odd things without people running at you with a straight jacket!!<br /><br />Places I've had the luxury of investigating:<br /><br />Waverly Hills (Louisville, Kentucky)<br />Moundsville State Pen (West Virginia)<br />Prospect Mansion (Ohio)

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

I think the most important thing is for people to have faith in their instinct and to LISTEN to their instinct. If it feels bad, then it probably is bad. I can't say that I've ever tried to personalize something that I felt negativity in.
Posted Image Thanks Aloha!!!The MAN on the cover of GQ that is in my profile pic is the LOVE of my life!

#15 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

When we moved into the house my Mother and Sister are still in today, a sprit soon started letting us know of its presence. (late 70's early 80's)
I suggested at the time we go down to the Town Hall and search though the records to fide out who the original owners were, maybe some information as to someone passing on in the house.
My Mother did not like that idea, she has been through some rather frightening haunting's and didn't want to take a chance that calling her by name may provoke her.
As time went on we did learn that our little ghost is a girl, the family has dubbed her Junior. We also quickly came to realize she wont do any harm or even try to frighten you. She has never been malicious only mischievous.
It wasn't to long ago I asked my Mother again if we might try to find out Junior's name, she still isn't up for it.
So the name Junior has stuck.
She seems not to mind being called that, and in fact if she has done something or taken something all we have to do is say out loud "Junior pleas don't do that or Pleas give it back I really need it".

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users