moon landing in 1969

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:26 AM

No worries Plind, back to this thread, I would hate to think that our goverment decieved us in anyway, I was very young when the moon landings happened, but do remember being in total awe of this!!!  I do ask why we haven't or Russia for that matter hasn;t sent another crew back to the moon for more indepth research, you stated how expensive it would be and such, this war in Iraq cost 5 times more than sending us to the moon again.

Several missions have been to the Moon. I guess after a while people got bored with it, and the gains of going there seemed to be too small compared to the cost and risk.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#17 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:24 AM

I do ask why we haven't or Russia for that matter hasn;t sent another crew back to the moon for more indepth research, you stated how expensive it would be and such, this war in Iraq cost 5 times more than sending us to the moon again.

Blame Apollo 13; despite its happy ending, that was a political nightmare for NASA; three people almost died on a mission that seemed to the general public to serve no practical purpose.

The war in Iraq is expensive, and it certainly cost more lives than the space program, but Bush could get away with it because it seemed to have a specific and noble purpose--find the weapons of mass destruction and make the word safe for Democracy.  By contrast, most people didn't know exactly what the point of the space program was, other than to show up the Russians, and what they did know about its goals--collect rocks and, you know, do science stuff--was neither glamerous nor, from their point of view, noble, so they were much less willing to spend money and risk lives for it.
What Would Batman Do?

#18 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 06:39 PM

But, I'm curious as to why no one has addressed the BIG question about the moon:

Is it really made of green cheese?  

I like cheese.  
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#19 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:20 PM

lol camille...cheese ROCKS

and yes, i believe the moon really is made of cheese. when i was little, i wanted to eat the moon. i was not a smart child. i ran into things frequently and wanted to eat the moon.
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#20 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:22 PM

Moldy cheese. I've always thought it was moldy cheese.

And yeah, I've seen that show about how the moon landing was supposedly faked. It did make me raise my brow a bit and contemplate what I should or shouldn't believe. It taught me not to take things at face value. I'm not saying the landing did or didn't happen, I'm just saying the potential for both is there. It was completely within our realm of photography and technology to stage such an event. I just don't see a point in staging it, however.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#21 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:09 PM

Actually, the technology didn't exist to fake every thing.  I suppose that it might be possible to fake the film (although not plausible, in my opinion), but there are other issues involved.

For example, what about the moon rocks?  They have been examined by numerous geologists not affiliated with NASA, and found not to have originated on Earth.  Moon rocks are distinct, and cannot be faked, even with modern-day technology; read all about it here:

http://www.solarview...ng/moonhoax.htm
What Would Batman Do?

#22 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:12 PM

Thanks gregory for answering that question, it was well put!!  And does make more sense to me....

Cheese huh?  I love cheese, perhaps, when they ever go again they can bring us back some of that moon cheese and leave the rocks alone....:D
Posted Image

#23 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:20 AM

I've gone through and cleaned up this thread.  I removed anything that was not relevant to the topic.

Pretty sad that I had to remove half of the thread.

I understand that the skeptics board is a heated area and tensions, personalities, opinions, and attitude clash most often here. But that should not be allowed to interfere with a good thread.

So back to the topic.

#24 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:08 PM

do you think that the moon is made of blue cheese since they say once in a blue moon?
But I have often wondered why since the last space shuttle catastrophe they couldn't have sent up another shuttle to rescue the other astronauts since NASA knew what had happened to the outside of the shuttle instead of letting them die? I have pieces of the challenger outside tiles that washed up on the beach in Sc and I also found a lighter that was solid gold with the seal of the president of the united states on it. I know it was gold I took it to s jeweler and had them check it out.

#25 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:14 PM

3 astrnauts did die in an apollo capsule sitting on the lauch pad in 1967 when the oxygen caught on fire.

#26 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:29 AM

Yes that was unfortunate.  Seems like someone should have thought that pure oxygen might not be the best atmosphere to fill the capsule with when launching.  I hope they did not suffer long.  :D

btw: oxygen doesn't burn, but it intensifies and supports combustion.  The problem was probably wire insulation and everything else intensly burning in a pure oxygen enviorment.  Including, unfortunatly, the space suits.
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#27 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:52 AM

But I have often wondered why since the last space shuttle catastrophe they couldn't have sent up another shuttle to rescue the other astronauts since NASA knew what had happened to the outside of the shuttle instead of letting them die?

I'm not sure I understand.  Do you mean, why didn't we send someone out to rescue Columbia's crew?  When Columbia exploded, it was flying over Texas at over 12,500 mph, and NASA had lost all contact with it, and by the time they lost contact, Columbia was losing its orientation, so NASA couldn't even be sure where it was, much less send up a rescue team.  And NASA didn't know what was happening; they were discussing some odd readings with Columbia's crew when they suddenly lost contact.  All that aside, I doubt they had any vehical prepared that could have caught up with Columbia, docked with it, and gotten away in the time they had, especially considering the conditions involved.
What Would Batman Do?

#28 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:14 AM

Yes they knew something broke lose initially but they did not know what or if it would cause problems, the shuttles are designed to withstand a lot of pummeling so they really would assume that a tile would not cause such a loss of life.  My father in law worked for NASA when my husband was born, they aren't going to send up not only our own people but citizens of other nations knowling to their deaths.  At the very least it would have caused an international crisis between us and Isreal if that were the case.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#29 Prometheus

Prometheus

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:29 PM

:-/ Trudy,I am not trying to rain on your parade here but you may rethink the wisdom of announcing the fact that you
are in possesion of Challenger debris.This is not exactly
the type of info that you should be sharing as it is a federal offense to in possesion of said items,all debris was
to be returned to NASA at the time of the accident.Recently
they sent a fellow who tried to sell a tile on E-Bay,on a little vacation.I believe his check out time is in 3-5 years.So sssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

#30 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:47 PM

On July 20th 1969 was my 15th Birthday I was so proud to know that man landed on the moon. So don't any of you all try to ruin my 15th birthday. We landed on the moon. [smiley=cwm9.gif]
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users