371 replies to this topic

#361 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:02 PM

Listen you, you, you chiuahaua lover!!!   ;D

ANyway, the text book is what it given to you when you sign up for accreditation couse from the American Federation of Astrologers. It wasn't cheap either.  Go look at their website and you'll see it.  I'm enrolled in the course that incorporates the math.  You have to take that one if at the end you want to take the licensing test.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#362 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:29 PM

hhmmm guess not

#363 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:30 PM

LOL@Flying ;D Y'know, strangely, I've never charged for an astrological reading...I've charged for Tarot, but I guess this is just more of a hobby/interest for me rather than generating any extra income...altho I wouldn't say no to the money! :) And by the by, that astrologer that my father went to, charged roughly around 2 grand for the reading...all I have to say is that it had BETTER be accurate!

TY for the info, hawkers...will check it out soon!

#364 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:09 PM

Incidentally, Peter, how accurate was my guesswork? Would I have been easy to beat?

#365 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:02 PM

[quote]I think you're introverted, because most people who are online a lot tend to be.[/quote]

Correct.

[quote]I'm guessing you're to the left politically, because I think skepticism is a liberal trait. Also, I percieve Denmark as being a liberal country compared to the US.[/quote]

Thou art correct. ;)

[quote]I'm gonna guess you like normal modern rock, some metal, and some rap but not too hardcore. I'm making that assumption based upon what the average person of your demographic here in the US would listen to.[/quote]

Incorrect. I listen to something as strangely as film scores and classical music.

[quote]No. I don't see you as being emotional really at all, but thats probably the second language thing.[/quote]

Not emotional I would say. I can get a lump in my throat, but that's a rare occasion so I consider myself to be unemotional during movies. ;)

[quote]I'm guessing you're single or have at most a casual gf.[/quote]

You gave a double answer, so I don't think you should get points there. ;) I'm currently single, but looking for a girlfriend.

[quote]Yes... not heroin or something potentially life threatening like that, but I could see pot and/or LSD.[/quote]

I have tried so little(Just hash a couple of times), so I would consider myself non-experimtal. Argh, not sure how to evaluate the answer. I'll ignore it. ;)

[quote]Action and some Drama. I don't see you as having the 'suspension of disbelief' required to enjoy horror.[/quote]

Actually I believe all humans have the 'suspension of disbelief' no matter how skeptical they are. My two favority genres are actually comedies and horrormovies.

[quote]Dogs. Most guys like dogs better.[/quote]

Hehe, correct.

[quote]The fact that you asked the 2nd question makes me think you smoke.. I'd say 1-10 a day.[/quote]

A logical asssumption, but nevertheless wrong. It was a trick question, I don't smoke at all.

[quote]I'm gonna guess no. Maybe someone was missing... just a guess.[/quote]

Not particularly happy, correct.

[quote]I'll say hay fever. I don't think you'd have posed that question if you didn't have some allergies.[/quote]

Wow, that's a great hit. A normal hit would just be "yes you have allergies' but you even guessed which one it was. Imegine if you have claimed some supernatural ability, and you could have won over believers easily.

[quote]Leno.. if you were older I'd have said Letterman..[/quote]

Yup, I'm a Leno guy. :)

[quote]I'm likely wrong on at least half of these... hopefully I am because that will make me a good benchmark :).[/quote]

Hmm, let me count...
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#366 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:24 PM

Wow, you got 7 out of 10 correctly. Very nice guesses. I bet hawk, wouldn't even have gotten that many correctly, depite her alledged super power :)

This test really shows that people can perform better than chance by mere guesswork
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#367 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:26 PM

I'm quite proud!

Working with computers kind of bores me and I'm known for poorly thought out career changes... maybe for my next such change I can buy a big extravagant hat, sit in a tent with a crystal ball somewhere and charge $100+ for a reading. If someone wanted to believe that what I was saying was caused by real supernatural knowledge, then I could explain away a 30% miss rate 8).

And thats assuming I need to give any specific answers at all.

#368 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:03 PM

Hehe, you should do that Paul. Usually physics get a 50/50 hit and miss, but with your 70% correct answers you would easily compete them out of business.

#369 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:08 AM

** laughs ** am not saying astrology/numerology/tarrots and other such readings are science, but it ain't guess wotk as it seem to the ignorant (that is ME). I have myself rebeled a lot against astrology but it has fit me more tighter..... I am not able to explain it all here, because as already mentioned the astrology that we are discussing here (the daily doomed columns) is not what I am speaking off and I am myself is NOT a scholar - I seek advice.
Posted Image

#370 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 05:26 AM

It's a skilled ability to read someone, know what they are just by looking at them, call it intuituon, whatever you like.  Perhaps if anything, the "toys" used by astrologers act as a focus point, top keep the practicioner on track and to analyze the customer closer.  *shrugs*
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#371 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:22 AM

exactly, but there is more yet. the "prediction" is about doing a good combo-readings of all the parametres. even the body language talks a lot!
Posted Image

#372 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:44 AM

It's easy to assume that astrology is a prop, and the REAL talent comes from simply being able to read people. I watched this show on tv about body language. There was a man who worked for the CIA and was trained in this area. It was amazing the things he was able to conclude based on the simplest of actions of the person he was "reading". Over-all, he had an 85% accuracy rate which is better than most, if not all, psychics.

However, if someone were to say, just pay for an astrological chart from an online business and never had any contact with anyone, considering these are usually programs that do all the work themselves, then reading body language and vibes based on statements made is irrelevant and you have nothing to examine but the chart itself and what it tells you. However, charts still tend to be very vague, which is ironic considering how detailed some of them can be. I value astrology for different reasons than some, so I can't really say anything about it's validity as a whole. However, when it comes to general readings and psychics, it's easier to determine if the person is a fake, doing a "cold reading" or legitimate to a degree. Not even a person who sees the future can give you every detail to validate his/her claims, because we are victims of human error and are bound to make mistakes.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users