evp

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wheeler08

wheeler08

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Well right now I am really getting into the paranormal things. I just have started going to different graveyards and haunted places doing alittle ghost hunting or trying to get some good pics or videos

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

I am new at all this and am looking to buy an evp but i was told that any tape recorder was fine as long as it came with a mic. but i was thinking i need something with a usb attachment so that i can logg everything on the comp. right ?

Posted Image"Life is just a chance to grow a soul, and in the end, its not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years"HAPPY HUNTING <3Brittany

#2 Robbie-Relapse

Robbie-Relapse

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting, Roleplaying, Harry Potter,

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

Well, are you looking for a digital one? 'Cause there's tons to choose from.

Olympus VN-960PC
Olympus WS-100

Those are the ones that we use.

As for actual tape recorders, they may pick up things better with external mics, but I don't trust them. jmo.

#3 wheeler08

wheeler08

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Well right now I am really getting into the paranormal things. I just have started going to different graveyards and haunted places doing alittle ghost hunting or trying to get some good pics or videos

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

yeah probably digital becasue I was reading that the tape ones when your recording sometimes pick up on the actual tape turning in there and it may throw you off when you go back and listen to it... I am looking at a SONY one and it has USB so that is probably what I am going to get... to go along with my SONY Camcorder and SONY Diggy lol thanks for the feedback :)

Posted Image"Life is just a chance to grow a soul, and in the end, its not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years"HAPPY HUNTING <3Brittany

#4 FireFighter621

FireFighter621

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:08 PM

here you go try this you got a big variety to choose from on evp
http://ghoststop.com/

#5 wheeler08

wheeler08

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

thank you firefighter.. thats a very informative site

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Depending on what you are willing to spend you should forget digital. You can get a decent analog stereo cassette deck for $150 and up (much less second hand on eBay). Unless you just consider this a hobby and don't care about the validity of what you get you should use stereo. Reason is stereo records dual channel, and what you capture on one should also be on the other. (redundancy). Plus you can hear your audio in three dimensions which allows you to establish direction and distance from the mics. Most good analog decks will record from 40 - 12 kHz, an acceptable audio range. Voice recorders do not reach this bandwidth.

But if you insist on digital, here are the specs you must attain:

1. - 24 bit A - D conversion, otherwise low level signals will lack resolution.

2. - 96 KBPS sample rate, insures enough samples to prevent excesive distortion.

3. WAV format, not MP3 since MP3s are lossy due to compression

4. Stereo, with external mics to allow for 2 feet between mics which permits spatial analysis

i can make a recommendation on a recorder, a Fostex FR2 will exceed these specs, however it carries an $1199 price tag. There are a few available for around $400 that meet specs, but barely. By comparison most voice recorders are around 12 bit A - D conversion at a 22KBPS rate and are mono. That's why you don't want to consider one of them for EVP work. (They are fine for note taking or making logs though)

#7 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

Something inexpensive is fine until you decide if this is something you're going to continue. You can purchase more/better equipment as use indicates.
There is nothing left to say.Me

#8 Mark81

Mark81

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

yeah probably digital because I was reading that the tape ones when your recording sometimes pick up on the actual tape turning in there and it may throw you off when you go back and listen to it... I am looking at a SONY one and it has USB so that is probably what I am going to get... to go along with my SONY Camcorder and SONY Diggy lol thanks for the feedback :headbang:

hi there, like you am new to EVP, and a bit of a sony freak too lol!

Personally I've decided to start just with my laptop recording directly onto that usingAudaCity. If my initial experiments prove fruitless I'll try moving onto a digital recorder though.

My theory is the whirling noise of the fans of my laptop will act as the background noise thus eliminating the need for a white/pink/brown noise generator. Obviously when recording I'll turn the screen off to try to avoid emf interference. And if not I have EVP Assistant to create the necessary noises.

Anyway good luck and let me know how your experiments go

mark

#9 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

You don't want any extra noise present. If an EVP is there it will come through clear. The extra noise just makes it that much harder to hear. That is one of the advantages of using high end equipment, it is generally quieter and allows for good clarity without any post processing. Makes no sense to add noise just so you can create distortion and artifacts trying to "clean" your recording. Sort of counter-productive....

The reason some claim noise is needed is that noise, when combined with conversion artifacts generated by substandard recorders causes a pulsating effect which can sound a lot like speech. Add a little imagination and you have an EVP created in your own mind. That is what most of these kind are, weak and subjective, which is why no two people usually hear the same thing.

True EVPs are rare. You may record for hours and get nothing. But when you do get one, it will be in-your-face clear. No guessing as to what it says. I have managed to capture about 4 like that out of literally thousands of hours of tape. Which is why I don't generally give a lot of creedence to thoee recordings made on cheap little voice recorders that get a half a dozen EVPs in about 2 hours. It don't generally happen that way.....

#10 Mark81

Mark81

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

True EVPs are rare. You may record for hours and get nothing. But when you do get one, it will be in-your-face clear. No guessing as to what it says. I have managed to capture about 4 like that out of literally thousands of hours of tape. Which is why I don't generally give a lot of creedence to thoee recordings made on cheap little voice recorders that get a half a dozen EVPs in about 2 hours. It don't generally happen that way.....

thanks for the heads up :)

what sort of places have you had your successes in, or isn't that really a factor ? There's so many different people saying different things about it all... so the only way one can learn is to try and fail and try and try and try

#11 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

I would say all of my best EVPs have come on private investigation cases. Most of the group things have so much confusion going on around that it is hard to determine what is and is not just something created by someone else there. I am very hard on any evidence,even my own, and if there is even a remote chance it may be someone or something causing intereference, even accidently, I pitch it out.

Private investigations are generally more regimented and have fewer people present. That allows one to maintain better control over the scene, and thus the evidence will be more reliable.I have a few that probably are valid from public locations, but they just can't be 100% verified they are not someone talking in another room so I tend to discount them. Due to confidentiality I can't post private case EVPs without client consent, but maybe if I get a chance I'll put a couple of my better ones from a public location up and let the listener decide whether they are real or not.

#12 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

Depending on what you are willing to spend you should forget digital. You can get a decent analog stereo cassette deck for $150 and up (much less second hand on eBay). Unless you just consider this a hobby and don't care about the validity of what you get you should use stereo. Reason is stereo records dual channel, and what you capture on one should also be on the other. (redundancy). Plus you can hear your audio in three dimensions which allows you to establish direction and distance from the mics. Most good analog decks will record from 40 - 12 kHz, an acceptable audio range. Voice recorders do not reach this bandwidth.

But if you insist on digital, here are the specs you must attain:

1. - 24 bit A - D conversion, otherwise low level signals will lack resolution.

2. - 96 KBPS sample rate, insures enough samples to prevent excesive distortion.

3. WAV format, not MP3 since MP3s are lossy due to compression

4. Stereo, with external mics to allow for 2 feet between mics which permits spatial analysis

i can make a recommendation on a recorder, a Fostex FR2 will exceed these specs, however it carries an $1199 price tag. There are a few available for around $400 that meet specs, but barely. By comparison most voice recorders are around 12 bit A - D conversion at a 22KBPS rate and are mono. That's why you don't want to consider one of them for EVP work. (They are fine for note taking or making logs though)

Are these just your theories or are these standards made up by you and we, out here, have to follow them? A good voice recorder(analog) that is cheap and good is made by Radio Shack. Don't spend hundreds of dollars on a voice recorder. You are only wasting your money if you buy an expensive one. Just my 2 cents here. Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#13 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Are these just your theories or are these standards made up by you and we, out here, have to follow them? A good voice recorder(analog) that is cheap and good is made by Radio Shack. Don't spend hundreds of dollars on a voice recorder. You are only wasting your money if you buy an expensive one. Just my 2 cents here. Dave

These specs are based on the results of tests conducted in a lab using professional grade test equipment. While I will admit you can record a voice on any recorder, design factors in the better recorders serve to limit false positives and other recorder artifacts. Thus it's not that you CAN'T get EVPs with a cheap recorder, it's just that it's much more likely you'll get something false that sounds like an EVP.

In the end, if all you want are voices go get a cheap recorder, but if you want reliable evidence it's going to require a somewhat better system. Only the user can make that determination of quality versus cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users