94 replies to this topic

#1 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 05 June 2003 - 05:18 PM

If I were to pick the King of the skeptics and debunkers, that title would have to go to James Randi.  Check out what he has to say about Sylvia Browne and others.

http://www.randi.org/jr/053003.html

[glow=red,2,300]WHAT DO YOU THINK?[/glow]
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#2 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 05:32 PM

Dude you hit the nail on the head with Randi ! Although I can't understand how someone thinks that way.I'm skeptical to his scepticism.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#3 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 06 June 2003 - 07:09 AM

I think that just about everyone knows about the Amazing Randi!  I think he is a little off the deep end especially with his offers of money for the psychic that can absolutly prove to him that it exists.  What was the amount?  one million.  Personally I think he's nuts! ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 05:50 PM

Hi Secret,
Hi KRC,

The "Amazing" Randi might be a bit closed minded as his fame now primarily comes from exposing charlatans.  I can say from a couple of short emails he answered my opinion is that he goes into investigations of photos (and people) with an expectation that everything is a fraud.  This might not really be a bad thing though as he has exposed more than his share of conmen.

One reason more don't try for the million may be the fact that everything must be become Randi's property, photos tests ect.  Additionally, if the applicant fails the test, I am sure accusations of fraud would follow that person for a long, long time.

I do say though that every charlatan that is exposed is a service to the paranormal community at large.   ;)

[move]What Say You Villagers?  What's your opinion?[/move]
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#5 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 09:52 PM

Is this a picture of John Edward cheating in a blind test of his abilities?  Other person was on the other side of the partition he is peeking through. Randi seems to think he is "less-than-honest"..

Read the article  

http://www.randi.org...03-23-2001.html

Any Opinions??

#6 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 07 June 2003 - 03:36 AM

flying...I agree with you 100% that it's wonderful that the conmen are being exposed.  My way of thinking though is that if your mind is so closed off like his....you will never be able to see anything as proof that things exist.  I also believe the other side of that spectrum where as if you are so closed minded the other way you will be seeing spirits in your Cheerios.

Basically what I am saying is that I wish everyone could have a middle of the road way of thining and neither believe or disbelieve evertything but take it on a case by case basis.

By the way...don't make the chihuahua's do all the moderating work for you!  LOL ;D

#7 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 03:42 AM

But KRC, they work hard for a strawberry, that's cheep enough, right?

#8 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 04:07 AM

Yeah...that's cheap enough but I just have this vision of you kicked back in the lay-z-boy and the chihuahua's over at the computer arguing over the content of a post. ;D  What a sight that must be!!LOL

#9 MTV

MTV

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:16 AM

A ghost can appear to Randi,and he would say he can't see anything.He's more like what they call a skepticdebunker.Who don't believe in nothing! >;)

#10 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 07 June 2003 - 09:04 AM

Lets be real here ::). Mr Randi is the end when it comes to skepticisim( he represents the extreme right in non belivers). He is not only a debunker of fables he tells the truth about Sylvia Brown which can be hard to take for those who love her and her work. But I say that if these so called psycics are so gifted then why dont they step up and prove it scientificly and collect the cash ? I'll tell you why, they lack the ability to do so  :-/. Its that simple. Every now and then they do get lucky or the odds are on their side in guessing correctly. More times than not they are scam artists plain and clear. >:(

Sensationalisim is a large part of the history of the paranormal ( it all began that way ) ( its documented history). There are more lies and speculation than fact. Its easy to believe someone if you have a need thats bad enough to do so . These so called gifted people prey on those unfortunate souls that have suffered great loss and have a need to know the truth . Psycics add to their grief by inparting their speculation, lies and trickery. There is no truth, only added pain to an already painful situation. :(

It amazes me to no end to watch the onslaught of people that buy speculation and nonsense without even questioning the facts. I dont know if it is that people are lazy in general or if its ignorance due to a greater need to believe in any answer given. Im endlessly amazed with the flood of guru garbage that people buy as fact.

The truth can be elusive and requires hard work and the ability to accept let downs after a large investment of time and resources. The truth is never easy to accept and is usually very uncomfortable to feel and swallow. Therefore many people will take whats thrown as fact before trying to seek the truth themselves due to the possiable let downs that may come as a result of their efforts.

Ignorance is one thing, knowing better and not questioning results in search for truth is downright pathetic.

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#11 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:44 PM

I see Randi has posted some pics he calls "spook" pictures.  He is actually asking for opinions to be sent in as to their cause.  I smell a trap! *LOL*  

I encourage all villagers to take a look at the pics and maybe send in your opinion.  I am actually interested in how Randi will explain the pics.  Don't hold your breath if you think he will say they are paranormal! ;D

The Truth is the Truth, no matter its source. :)

#12 JimTheBrit

JimTheBrit

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:57 PM

Hi folks, I just arrived here via another forum. Be gentle with me :) Apologies if the formatting of this post is rough, it's gonna take me a while to get used to the board.

secretsign I can't understand how someone thinks that way.

Which way would that be?

krcguns I think he is a little off the deep end especially with his offers of money for the psychic that can absolutely prove to him that it exists.

Hmmmmm, what do you mean by proof? The James Randi Education Foundation 1 million dollar prize will be awarded to any person claiming paranormal powers who can show they can do what they say they can do under the conditions they say they can do it. No explanation of how it's done is necessary. A demonstration that there's an ability there is all that's needed.

flyingorb The "Amazing" Randi might be a bit closed minded as his fame now primarily comes from exposing charlatans.

Could be. I'll bet, though, that his disbelieving nature is more down to the countless number of people he's dealt with who are convinced that they have supernatural abilities  - and then go on to fail the easier tests - with no exceptions.

flyingorb One reason more don't try for the million may be the fact that everything must be become Randi's property, photos tests ect.

How come? At the end of the day, if the person passes the test they've got an amazing ability. They'll redefine the world as we know. So what if Randi keeps the test-related materials?

flyingorb Additionally, if the applicant fails the test, I am sure accusations of fraud would follow that person for a long, long time.

Not necessarily. If you're a fraud, you're a fraud and you deserve to be denounced. Many of the testers (most?) fail simply because they sincerely believe they have abilities they don't possess (or, at least, are unable to demonstrate on the occasion of the test).

krcguns My way of thinking though is that if your mind is so closed off like his....you will never be able to see anything as proof that things exist.  I also believe the other side of that spectrum where as if you are so closed minded the other way you will be seeing spirits in your Cheerios.

Absolutely. Being closed to the possibility of any new concept is neither healthy nor smart; neither is being so 'open minded' that you readily embrace everything that's presented to you.
Randi's mind is closed? Undoubtedly he's biased - who wouldn't be after decades of dealing with charlatans and the self-deceived? Closed completely to the possibility that there may be some kind of paranormal phenomenon? He’s open minded enough to offer 1 million dollars to be proved wrong.

krcguns Basically what I am saying is that I wish everyone could have a middle of the road way of thining and neither believe or disbelieve evertything but take it on a case by case basis.

Spoken like a true skeptic! No, I'm being serious - I agree. Everyone should make an effort to learn how to think critically and how to evaluate evidence then apply what they've learnt to the beliefs and opinions presented to them.

#13 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 08:05 PM

Hi Jim...

yes..I do look at things in a skeptical way...I don't believe everything that comes down the pike.  Also though...I have had quite a few experiences that tells me that the paranormal is very, very real.  I try very hard to be neither too far left or right on a subject and take them one at a time.  

Also it doesn't bother me when people are skeptical...the only part that does is when someone is so close minded that they have made a decision before the evidence has been presented to them! ;D

I also am aware that Mr. Randi has dealt with a lot of charlatins in his days!  I know how that can make one very callous.  I think though that objectivity is important. ;D

#14 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 07:42 AM

[quote]QUOTE- Hi folks, I just arrived here via another forum. Be gentle with me :) Apologies if the formatting of this post is rough, it's gonna take me a while to get used to the board.

flyingorb Additionally, if the applicant fails the test, I am sure accusations of fraud would follow that person for a long, long time.

Not necessarily. If you're a fraud, you're a fraud and you deserve to be denounced. Many of the testers (most?) fail simply because they sincerely believe they have abilities they don't possess (or, at least, are unable to demonstrate on the occasion of the test) -QUOTE.

Thats sad.  I hadn't considered the possibility of testees being deluded, or mentally ill.  

The inability to demonstrate any ability I do understand.  Most of what I see and consider credable in the paranormal field is dependant on an outside influence.  The event, be it pics,evp,manifestations, is not something that can be "forced to occur" by an investigator.  The interaction is dependant upon the spirit trying to communicate.  Their time , their place and their choice of person to receive.  Just my thoughts.  Glad you stopped in Jim, hope you stick around and continue to exchange ideas.  :(

#15 MTV

MTV

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 08:30 AM

This is what really tick's me off, is when you're telling someone about ghost's,then they turn around and say that it's all in your mind,when I know it isn't.They WILL NOT believe anything you say that deal's with the paranormal.That is being close-minded as far as I'm concerned.And that is what Randi is.Very close-minded.Like I was saying,he don't believe in nothing!That is what tick's me off.There, I've said it.Whoo. :-X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users