12 replies to this topic

#1 PaintedPantz

PaintedPantz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Location:x1|Santa Fe|USA|usa|183|207|x1|Santa Fe|USA|usa|183|207|

Posted 26 April 2004 - 04:51 PM

Hi guys. I'm just curious about this whole thing. I have had an experience that was very "strange" and couldn't be explained (I posted it in Encounters as AngelicClarice) anyway...

I'm just wondering why we (as a ghost-believing community) automatically assume all of these paranormal experiences are because of ghosts. What if they're from other things that we really don't know anything about? What if everyone has, along with a conscience, something that tells people to be bad and is also responsible for all of these strange experiences?

Don't get me wrong, I totally believe in ghosts, I've just been thinking...

What if......? :-/

#2 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 26 April 2004 - 05:23 PM

believe me. not everyone in here automatically assumes ghosts.

what you're referring to sounds a great deal like the "angel on one shoulder, devil on the other" idea that cartoons often use.

many religions believe in a "devil" or evil entity that can either tempt or coerce. others believe it's just human nature.

as for the other strange experiences, as a studier of things paranormal, i don't rule out anything, from UFOs to bigfoot to angels and demons. assuming ghosts exist (which i don't... but for the sake of argument), that doesn't necessarily preclude the existence of extra-terrestrials, for example.

#3 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:35 PM

randys correct i feel that in oreder to be effective at all in this community a "ghost" should be only the last resort....ive been an active researcher for two years now, spent hundreds of hours i the field and have yet to convince myself that "ghosts" as we think of them exist....

#4 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:53 PM

I'm just wondering why we (as a ghost-believing community) automatically assume all of these paranormal experiences are because of ghosts.

I doubt that statement applies to most of the people who are on this site, whether they be believers or skeptics.

Not wanting to repeat the same message, but I personally think most of the evidence presented and a good deal of the stories I hear aren't ghosts at all, but something mundane that has been interpreted as ghosts.

But those ones that aren't... well, thats what keeps me interested :).

I think the paranormal experiences we do encounter and think of as ghosts are dead people, but a person who returns as a ghost doesn't come all the way back mentally and that's why paranormal experiences tend to be random and don't follow any logical pattern of behavior.

I'm not someone who has had countless encounters though, it's just my theory  :-/.

#5 PaintedPantz

PaintedPantz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:50 PM

Wow. I never thought I would get replies. Anyway

Thanks, Paul, for your input. What you're saying is really profound. I didn't realize until after you said that, that my idea about the opposite of a conscience is like the cartoon thing. But you're completely right! It could've been one of those things where you see something or read about something and then later turn it into "your own idea" but really it was from where ever you first saw/read about it.

ANYWAYZ...

I realize now that not everyone here:
1) believes in ghosts
and
2) automatically assumes all of this paranormal stuff is because of ghosts.

But now I'm getting really freaked out. Alone. In my room. Dark. BOO! AHH! lol Laterzz...

*me

#6 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 02:38 AM

LOL! Yeah, and to go on beating a dead horse, although I am TRUE believer, lol, I, too, need some real evidence before I'll start thinkin' Casper's in the near vicinity! lol Of course, what counts as evidence for ME isn't as rigorous as SOME other's, per se, lol, but if my 'spirit' sensories start going haywire and I'm thinking 'okay, I SO don't want to be here ALONE now', lol, then yep! I'm pretty sure something's here! ;D Of course EVPs and pics are also a plus, but I will never discount my own 'intuitions' as they've never (so far) lead me down a wrong road, lol.

And oh yeah, Cherri...don't look behind you, gurl, but there's SOMETHING under your bed! BUWHWHAHAHAAAA! ;D

#7 PaintedPantz

PaintedPantz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 09:38 AM

You're cruel. :-P lol

#8 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:42 AM

the MoonChild is behind you ;D
Posted Image

#9 PaintedPantz

PaintedPantz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:41 AM

haha. you guys are mean. :) haha only kidding. i had so much trouble sleeping that night because it was really dark when i posted that and then i got even more freaked out. i ended up staying up until like 3am! i was really scared that night!

*cherrizzz

#10 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:02 AM

As a vetern of many 'spooky' nights where I was scared witless being in my own bedroom, I can assure you that THERE IS SOMETHING UNDER YOUR BED!!! LOL Okay, okay, just kidding...I think...:) And yeah, don't you HATE it when you think somethin's peeking at you in the darkness...BLECH! ;D

#11 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:25 AM

I actually believe more readily in things like boggarts, fairies, little people, kelpies etc. etc. than in ghosts- I can't argue with most of the people on this board however due to my lack of experience, but from reading and stuff I get certain impressions.
I guess the only problem with my ideas are that some believe creatures like the boggart are just a certain type of unsettled spirit anyway, and one of the most prevalent explanations for the origins of fairies, especially since the introduction of christianity is that they are unbaptised children or spirits...

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#12 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 04:35 AM

Wow, Mel, I never knew that early Christians thought that fairies were spirits of unbaptised children...what a cool idea! ;D I don't know much about the fey folk, but have always loved them since childhood, lol. I actually want that book that has 'pressed' fairies in it! God, that cracked me UP! ;D

#13 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:56 AM

that must be a british/irish thing... those early irish catholics had a lot of funky ideas... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users