#1 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 22 August 2002 - 07:31 PM

It seems to me, when folks come here to Ghost Village and give a skeptical point of view (especially and more so if they do it in a rude way) they get bashed and gang banged by the believers. I too am guilty of this at times and have finally decided to address skepticism. I have always invited an opposing point of view as long as it is given in a polite and tactful way. My view on skeptics is pretty simple. Being a skeptic is the easiest position to take in any phenomena where there are no defined lines. Skepticism is simply a lazy persons way to explain away the things he or she doesnít feel like investigating any further. Coming up with all of the what ifs is a simple task but it takes a true investigator to get to the bottom of an issue no matter how unclearly the lines of distinction may be defined. I am in a way, a skeptic myself or I wouldnít be much of an investigator. Itís important to ask the right questions in order to get the right answers, but itís not ok to shoot down every theory you hear without first checking out the facts. Education is key and some people even though they are educated, simply find some sort of twisted comfort in arguing the most insignificant points of an issue. This type of behavior is a demonstration of their inability to allow others their point of view. Of all the things I have learned as a paranormal investigator the most important is to always have varying opinions and points of view. This is how we learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others. I suppose there is such a thing as a healthy degree of skepticism but carrying it too far crosses the line between healthy opinion and being unnecessarily argumentative. In conclusion, Iím sure there will be someone out there who will find it necessary to bash even this little statement of opinion. It takes all kinds and my final word is to Live and Let Live.  
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#2 Aurelia

Aurelia

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:I love a little mystery in things. I am also a person who sees a "haunted" place that scares everyone else, and I add it to my list of places to go. My #1 interest to date is my son.

Posted 22 August 2002 - 08:22 PM

Bravo Rock, very nicely said. I am also guilty of jumping on skeptics...usually it's when they jump in there and start calling people names or when they say it absolutely does not exist...but give no logical reason why it doesn't.  They often use the excuse of coincidence.  Coincidence explains nothing...any good psychiatrist will tell you that. Psychology one o one.  I remain openminded to just about everything...I leave an opening for someone to swing me the other way, and sometimes it seems like I'm pushy...but I debate things.  And most openminded skeptics will also debate things without getting rude. Just my thoughts rock.
You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.

• Guests

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:21 AM

Its not the skepticism that gets to me.... i think its great to have someone challenge my ideas or what i write about. i happen to have seen and experienced alot of bizzare and unexplainable stuff pertaining to the paranormal realm. i dont understand alot of what i have seen and dont really expect other folks(non-believers) to either. The people here on GV have provided me with an incredible amount of information and  feed back is great, from believers and non-believers alike. What tends to raise my hackles is when someone belittles another or otherwise becomes abusive because of his or her own inability or refusal to live and let live.....and when that happens i have a tendency to want to take heads. i think its a little quirk in my dna ;). For my part though i will try to not engage in unnecesary rendering.OK thats my 2 cents worth ;).

#4 Jodi

Jodi

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 06:01 AM

Very well put Val... ;)Remember, some ppl just refuse to believe. We just move on.

#5 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 08:29 PM

Yer right Jodi,some ppl won't ever believe. Not that I believe everything either.There is a way to disagree and have a debate without bashing someone down. All of us that come to G.V everyday know that. It's the fly by posters that we need to ignore, They tend to stir up the most flames and then thier gone....Poof!! ;D
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#6 SpiritsOfMd

SpiritsOfMd

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:A little 'bit of everything!

Posted 31 August 2002 - 06:08 AM

I think without skeptics, ghost hunting would be pretty bland, yes we hunt for our own reasons and hope to one day find the real deal, the picture where its undeniable but I also would just love to say SEE heres the proof!  If everyone believed in spirits and ghosts then who would we really have to show the awesome pictures we get to, I mean everyone on GV is looking for the same thing and after awhile an orb is an orb and an ecto is an ecto, but to a skeptic, you get your senses aroused even by negative feedback. I think skeptics keep us on our toes and keep us from become bored with the point, if everything in the world was the same it would be a drag. Just my opinion. ???
[FONT=Courier][COLOR=blue]"EVEN IF YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK, IF YOU JUST SIT THERE YOU WILL STILL GET HIT"

#7 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 03:33 PM

I am a skeptic beleiver. What I mean by that is:

I am open minded to the possibility of ghosts infact i beleive they does exist, same with ESP  but if you told me this place is haunted, I wont blindly beleive it, I want to check it out first type of thing.

And whith my family and friends I LOVE to play the devils advocate.. but I tend to go with more logical  and probable answers and solutions but at the same time I beleive there are spirits, a god, a devil, things like that.

#8 Paul_G.

Paul_G.

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 07:55 PM

I can't bash them too much. Until I had my first undeniable experience, I was very skeptical. I actually repressed the memory of it until later on when someone else mentioned their experience with the same spirit.

I was alone in my ex-girlfriends apartment, in the bathroom when I heard a childs laughter from right beside me. I stayed completely calm, and thought 'Hmmm, someone must have put one of those fake laughter boxes somewhere in here'. I then washed my hands, didn't check for any laughter boxes, walked out of the room and immediatly forgot the whole thing. I had to hear the laugh on a second occaision before i finally got it.

When I tell about things I've seen to a group of people, I can look around and tell immediatly who has had an encounter themselves and who hasn't. it's something you have to expereince for yourself, especially since no religion really covers the idea of ghosts that well. Its a big jolt to the belief system.

Anyway, if they were total skeptics then why do they come here?

#9 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 09:50 PM

I have seen so I believe, my husband has seen and heard but doesn't.  As long as he doesn't belittle (like my dad tends to do) we are ok but when he belittles I get a bit nasty.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#10 susmith

susmith

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:Photography, hunting, boating, camping

Posted 03 November 2002 - 10:53 AM

I am usually very open minded until crossed.  But I do believe that there is a nice way to get your skepticism across other than being rude to people.  Now I can take critisism but if your rude.......WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!!! >;) >;) >:( LOL ;D ;D
"Those who do not believe are the FIRST to be frightened when something strange occurs"

#11 noVa_ProductionZ

noVa_ProductionZ

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 03:18 PM

AYO

If they the skeptics of you...

AREN'T YOU THE SKEPTICS OF THEM?????

#12 ohioparanormal

ohioparanormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 09:12 PM

To be honest I am skeptical of those who are too quick to believe much of the "paranormal world". I feel that if you can not be skeptical of things around you then aren't you are merely basing everything on opinion and beliefs? Ghost hunting/paranormal investigating is not a religion, maybe a weekend hobby for some, or a full time dedication for others like myself. If you are so quick to believe things, especially that which happens to you, how are you really backing up this belief?

I have seen many hard-core skeptics become true believers overnight because of an event that happens to them. I have seen true believers become skeptics over time and have seen true believers find the middle of the road. What motivates us to have such strong feelings on a subject that has no empirical evidence to support any claims? A funny side was presented a while ago on my message board by a skeptic. It basically said it is quite fitting that people have made the conclusion that orbs are a form of ghost, this conclusion by many who never bothered to realize that there's no proof that ghosts exist in the first place.

I'll tell you that both skeptics and true believers scare me and I won't listen to either one. If you can't step back and take an analytical approach, separate your personal belief and opinions, then you have no business being a researcher or investigator. Though, understandably, most associated with this subject are just curiosity seekers and are entitled to be true believers...to each his/her own.

Being skeptical does not mean you do not believe in ghosts, spirits, demons, etc. It merely means you are not sure, this is healthy thinking folks. The true skeptic may not believe at all and that is fine also, don't take it personal when someone says they don't believe what you do. The same goes with being open-minded. It does not mean you have a firm belief in the paranormal, it just means you are warm to the idea. It's all about interpretation.

I consider myself an open-minded skeptic. I have a belief that there is something out there, but I have yet to see the truth that validates it.

#13 Cygnusia

Cygnusia

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 09:53 AM

When dealing with this kind of phenomena, I see four basic types of people:

1. Gullible - Those who look at any picture (and I mean ANY) and proclaim it's the latest and best proof on paranormal activity.

2. Open Minded - Fortunately, this board is full of 'em. ;) Those who believe, but are able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Chances are very good that they'll nail a fake to the wall for what it is.

3. Open-minded Skeptic - Those who have their doubts about the paranormal, but are willing to put those doubts aside when confronted with the real deal. They often join the legions of the Open Minded. ;)

4. Close-minded Skeptic - You could place a fully formed apparition in a cage in front of them and they'd say it's a parlor trick. Place them in a known haunted location... anything ununsual that happens, they'll say it's staged. You could beat them over the head with solid proof of the paranormal, and they'll say it's crap and that you're nuts for believing in it. They're also usually rude... wouldn't you be if someone was trying to break through YOUR rather narrow view of the world?  :(
Everything is clearer nowLife is just a dream, you knowthat's never-endingI'm ascending...

#14 hurdingcats

hurdingcats

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 10:01 AM

Ok here's my 2cents worth. Some people have minds like cement...all mixed up and firmly set. No point in arguing with them, although I have a sneeky suspision that the most ardent skeptics have had their own unexplainable encounters but refuse to admit it. I personally feel that one could disagree without being disagreeable. Iron sharpens iron.  I fit into the open minded skeptic category and do as much research as possible, but find I'm no closer to the truth than when I started. Perhaps one day......

#15 Midnyte69

Midnyte69

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 05:32 AM

ok... I would see myself as open minded. Others may see me differently... that's what this is all about. Everyone will have a slightly different opinion of how they view a specific thing.

I am also a skeptic... that is to say that while I do not state that there is a parlour trick gimmick behind every encounter... I will look to disprove that there was any trickery involved by looking for said trickery.

To state that skeptics are rude would be extremely one sided. I was having what I had thought was a pleasant discussion about what a picture and video looked liked to me and to the individual that took said video and pic. After giving my OPINION of what I thought I was seeing... (and also doing it in a VERY polite way, up to and including statements that there was the possibility that I was completely wrong and that they were only my opinions on that specific item.) I was unduly bashed... and insulted by said "Believer."

Not only did he become verbally hostile, but completely refused to see anything other than what his narrow-minded beliefs would allow. He claimed to be a scientist but offered no scientific explanations to what he was stating.

My point in all of this is simply put in this manner;

Wether you agree or you disagree or even if you agree TO disagree. Be polite to the people around you. Not everyone will see something the same way that you will and there really is no reason to get rude or to belittle. (regardless of what side of the fence you stand on or even if you're standing ON the fence) We are all here for the same reason. To find the truth.

Be good to each other,
Casey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users