• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Frogbat

Frogbat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

Despite reports of mystery cats in the midwest for the past century (such as Nellie the Lion in Decatur, Illinois in 1917 and reports of a big cat in Cairo, Illinois in the 70s), authorities have always denied their existence and animal experts would all say that they were extinct in the midwest. But today Chicago police shot and killed a cougar in the city, WGN in Chcago has footage and is airing the story tonight at 9:00 pm central time and is showing clips of the dead cougar on the commercials.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.Study hard. Be evil.Posted Image

#2 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

My grandparents used to swear they routinely saw a cougar in southern Ohio decades ago, even though there's not supposed to be any around here. I wonder if someone had the one in Chicago as an exotic pet? It's a shame they had to kill the thing.

#3 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:53 AM

It would be a shame if the cougar was someone's pet and they just let the animal loose because they couldn't take care of it. Maybe these wildcats are running around because we're slowly encroaching into their territory. That's probably a reason why there are wildcats in areas they're not supposed to be...they've been driven out of their natural habitat by us.

#4 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

I would doubt it was a pet.
The animals are following the food, deer are there favorites.

Here in eastern Mass there was a man scoffed at for years. His video recordings, corroborating statements by his neighbors, and photographs as well as paw print casts were all dismissed as a hoax.
That is until an animal control officer collected scat that was tested and found to be cougar.
Several more sightings were later confirmed, It is believed to be a female with a very large territory, spanning over several towns.
On a number of occations there have been partially eaten deer found up in the branches of trees. There have also been remains of coyote's taken by this big cat.

So far this animal has not taken any live stock or pets, and has done its best to avoid contact with people. Since Massachusetts deer and coyote population seems to have exploded over the last decade I'm not surprised that these animals are making a comeback.

I live about 45 min away from Boston, SW as the crow fly's, and have even seen a baby moose in my own back yard.
Two months ago there was even a black bear sighting on my street.
None of this is due to human encroachment, hunting has taken a sharp decline and land preservation has increased. Frankly I'm glad to see these animals, maybe now they will bring the deer population back into check. To many people crying bambicide when hunters take a few.

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#5 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

When I saw this story I immediately knew it was either a let go or escape from an exotics handler.
Exotics are concentrated in the south, mostly Texas and Florida but, exotics are everywhere. I know of a large tiger habitat in Ohio, smaller and private owners all over the country and Canada.
I would like to say that all exotics handlers are responsible and have conservation in mind but its not true. When my web site was up, the stupidity of people was mind boggling. There's not much question in my mind that this was an illegal pet.
There is nothing left to say.Me

#6 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

Mountain Lions (a.k.a. Cougars, Pumas or Panthers) were very much prevalent in all of the U.S. and Canada prior to the turn of the 20th century (1901). It would not surprise me if there are a few still undetected in any part of the U.S.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#7 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:11 PM

I live in England our dog before Taz never used to bark, the only time we had heard him bark was when we were about to be broken into (if it wasnt for him they would have broken in) one night my dad took him for a walk and me and mum heard the dog go mad barking, when they got back my dad said that there had been a big black animal which looked like a cat but was the size of a calf at the bottom of the drive, after hearing our dog it proceded to run up the cul de sac and round the back of one of the bungalows, there are feilds and woods round the back.

I was then a couple of years later up with my friend and we decided to ride the bikes up this country lane that was for the most part surrounded by trees, I stopped at one point to watch some rabbits in a field and i had tried clapping my hands together to make them run but i couldnt clap loud enough, then all of a sudden they all started running in the same direction towards me and down the holes nearest me. When i looked up something big the size of a calf and black had bounded out into the field from the woods by the road, then it slinked back into the woods, its movements were cat like. Needless tosay me and my friend were terrified after that, specially because after that i recalled my dads story.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users