14 replies to this topic

#1 honeybeary

honeybeary

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, hiking, photography

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:18 AM

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or if I'm posting the message correctly as this is the second time I added something.

My 3 year old son keeps telling me he is scared because there are ghosts in his room and in the kitchen. Some nights he wakes up so scared, saying the bad ghost scared him, that he will not go back to sleep until the morning. I dont know if he actually sees something or if he is being a kid and having a bad dream.  

A little about whee I live if it helps at all I live in a city run building with about 110 apartments, people constam=ntly moving in and out, being evicted so on, I lived here a few years but recently moved from the eigth floor 2 bdrm to a main floor 3 bdrm.  He only started this ghost thing in mid October shortly after we moved to this apartment.

As far as I know nothing ever happened here but it is hard to realy find out.  All I know about the previous tenants is that it was an old lady raising her granddaughter and from a neighbour who also knew them all I know is the room my son is in was never used, only as a guest room.

Dont know if the accounts for anything, but Im really starting to get concerned as it is becoming more frequent that my son tells us these things.
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:33 AM

hello Beary. Check these links. intersting.

http://www.ghostvill...367;start=45#45

http://www.ghostvill...44051;start=3#3

http://www.ghostvill...34395;start=2#2

http://www.ghostvill...300;start=25#25
Posted Image

#3 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:20 PM

Kids believe what their parents believe. If you believe in ghosts they will too. Because of their young minds and lack of experience, they don't have the same skepticism that adults usually have, so any unexplainable event can easily be linked to ghosts from their point of view.

How is your reaction when they approach you with such tales? If you take them seriously, they will believe that what they saw must be caused by ghosts, and nothing mundane.

I remember when I was a kid my father would joke and say that the ghosts were probably more scared of me than I was of them. Try that approach instead of behaving like it's something they should be afraid of.

Peter :)
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:46 AM

lmao. sorry to say this peter, that has been one of the most naive opinion!
Posted Image

#5 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:49 AM

How do you mean?

Peter [smiley=cwm1.gif]
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:47 AM

Isn;t it a proves fact that the Pineal Gland DO exist and it's exact functioning are yet to be discovered? It is also a fact that Pineal Gland do infact connects the brain to seemingly unknown and unexplained. It is also a FACT that after the age of SEVEN or so, the Pineal gland looses it's ability and hardens. what say?
Posted Image

#7 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:08 AM

I agree, try not to make the child beleive that he should be afraid. The best way to approach this situation is to talk to a priest who can come to your house and put some type of holy water on your walls. You don't want the situation to get worse so take that step ;)  You are his mother, and you are to protect your child even from things like that. :)
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#8 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:13 AM

Interesting, why'd you all of a sudden dig that up Moon?
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#9 honeybeary

honeybeary

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, hiking, photography

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:19 AM

thanks for the responses!
hunnyfire-when he tells us we tell him there is nothing to be scared of and there is no such thing as ghost. my boyfreind does not believe in ghosts what so ever and Im skeptic as to their existence, I believe and I dont believe if that makes sense.
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

#10 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:29 AM

Oh ok..... Well my son was going thru that problem , he would wake up crying at night pointing to the wall sayin stuff. My mom put holly water all over the room and now, he finally gets some sleep. whew..... Its sad when you don't know what they saw!
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:45 AM

Interesting, why'd you all of a sudden dig that up Moon?

dark side of the Moon hehehehehe [smiley=cwm16.gif]
Posted Image

#12 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:58 PM

Isn;t it a proves fact that the Pineal Gland DO exist and it's exact functioning are yet to be discovered? It is also a fact that Pineal Gland do infact connects the brain to seemingly unknown and unexplained. It is also a FACT that after the age of SEVEN or so, the Pineal gland looses it's ability and hardens. what say?

The pineal gland does indeed exist, and has been researched quite a bit, though alot more research is certainly needed to fully understand more about it's functions. It produces serotonin and melatonin. A lack of serotonin seems to be linked with mental illness, while melatonin has many functions throughout the body. For instance this hormone seems to be linked with puperty. Children contain more melatonin than adults but that changes when they reach puperty. There have been cases with children who had a tumor in their pineal gland, to have either precocious puperty or their puperty delayed instead, which makes it obvious that the gland quite probably have something to do with reaching sexual maturity.

Peter :)

#13 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:03 PM

lmao. sorry to say this peter, that has been one of the most naive opinion!

How is my response naive? It's not polite to call an opinion naive, without even explaining what you disagree with.

#14 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

Honey and Moon:  I don't understand the direction you're going.  Children at this age usually exhibit this type of  behavior (i.e. imaginary friends, monsters in the closet, etc.).  Honey, you said that you recently moved him to a different bedroom.  The child is in a new environment, and sleeping in a bedroom that he's not used to.  You bet he might be a little scared.  Has it occurred to anyone that this is a psychological response to a change in his surroundings?  Or there could be other events that is triggering this child's feelings of anxiety. Why are we "looking" for a paranormal explanation before ruling out more natural and immediate causes?  

I think this approach is very unhealthy for your child and hardly addresses the problems he may be experiencing.  Please, talk to your family doctor before you start looking for answers to your child's problems on a ghost message board.  :-/

Sorry, just my opinion.
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#15 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:59 AM

I have to agree with Camille here.  I remember from my own childhood, how I reacted for the longest time when we moved homes. I was eight years old at the time.  I can remember vividly that before that, the only place in our home that scared me was the basement.  This wa due to the fact that it had a bit of a draft at the back of it where my father and an office.  There was only a curtain to act as a door and the curtain would move with the air current.  My room and everything else was just fine.  I also didn't mind the basement at all if there was another person down there or the lights were on (mostly if there was someone else).  When we moved, certain stereotypical areas scared me.  The big walk in closet and certain things on my dresser top seemed to move.  They never did- it was all an optical illusion, but as an 8 year old, it was kind scarey.  The basement and every other room in the house was just fine.  It was only at night when I lay there awak watching the room.  

I think a lot of this is how a kid's mind works.  There is a lot of questioning still going on, a lot of wondering how the world works. I think it's more illusion and imagination.  

Then again, you just never know, maybe all this time kids that have imaginary friends are areally on to something LOL!  It's hard to say. I think Psychology has more answers right now than parapsychology.

Do I get feelings that things are just not quite right without any visible or psychological reasons?  Oh yes, I've experienced those before.  How do you explain walking along al happy-dandy and then you hit apart of a hallway that you were not even paying attention to, talking to someone else and generally joking around, and then both of you stop and make excuses not to go down that hall?

Psychological?  Perhaps, but what was the trigger? Conciously there wasn't anything apparent.  In fact everything was quite nice.  So what was it?
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users