#1 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:51 AM

hey all! I was wondering what exactly is the limit science can go? or is there any limit where we should keep it going? ??? we have had loads of hollywood flicks that has a story line where the human inventions and meddling with nature creating the monsters that haunts us back! be it a shark or a godzilla or a virus! lol yes, science is exciting, but then, on what cost? We have had a thread on cloning, it is the same line I am thinking on. so, what about your ideas?
Posted Image

#2 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 03:07 PM

i think to limit ourselves, whether it be through science or individual knowledge seeking is to limit the human experience, if not for some people always asking why? how? when? where? we would still be worshipping fire...

#3 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:05 PM

if we had limited ourselves then scientist may not have found cures for diseases such as typhoid, diptheria, and so on. So to limit ourselves we would be hurting ourselves to a certain degree.We probably would never have made it to the moon and back.

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:36 PM

the question is not about asking the questions, but what is it that we focus on achieving?
Posted Image

#5 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:51 AM

Scientists as individuals should try to acheive advancement in the fields and scope that interests them the most. I think to try and direct the path of advancement would be stifling creativity. I'm for no regulation on scientific advancement whatsoever. If you can think of a way to do something new, then do it :).

Anyway, theres nothing wrong with technology. The problem is usually someone wielding it in a greedy manner.

#6 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:27 PM

technology and science are totally diff3erent......what is science but the seeking of the answers to questions

#7 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:05 PM

I believe that to limit science is to limit the possibility of our own spiritual and mental evolution. Ten thousand years ago, we were a knuckle-dragging grunting species, with a life expectency of 35-45 years. Now, thanks to evolution in science, we have an extended life expectancy which has given us the necessary time to experience life and heighten all avenues of those experiences.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#8 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:52 AM

well, I wasn;t talking about limiting science, but I was referring the "unrational" quest of some people who calls themselves scientists! They can more be considered mass destructers!
Posted Image

#9 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:43 AM

I think that the only limit to science is lack of imagination. Same thing goes for the human race. By far, I feel that the greatest and deadliest flaw of humanity is simply curiosity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users