#31 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:59 AM

...but unfortunately untill it can be proven otherwise we must strive to explain things according to our known scientific laws

well, then how are new discoveries/inventions/explorations/knowledge possible? [smiley=cwm16.gif]
Posted Image

#32 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 03:31 PM

give me an example im not clear on what you're meaning

#33 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 02:25 AM

well, what i meant was that, untill one goes beyond the known scientific principles, how do we get to know the newer ones? Someone has to be crazy enough to discard the known realms so as to invent the newer realms! ;D
Posted Image

#34 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:18 PM

yeah but that falls into philosophy of (insert your discipline here) and thats totally different

#35 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:48 AM

I see what Moon means with this I think.  Ummmm...ok, scientific perameters have to be exceeded in order to make advancements.  Right?  Like for instance when atoms started to be split or the science behind space travel.  These are things that required creating new perameters in order to work toward the goals that were reached.  Just because the paranormal doesn't fit into a chemistry experiment in a lab somewhere, perhaps we have to look beyond what is existing in order to see what the facts are.

Did I get your meaning Moon?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#36 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:20 AM

yes krc, you GOT it, exactly what I said. Unless we break the "known" barrier, is there any other way we can discover/invent the unknown? I am not telling to have some foolish quests, there is no point in searching for T-REX on earth yet again, but there are surely lot of newer things waiting to be discovered. Look at the new planet Sedna that was discovered hardly 20 days back. Did krc's explanation made it clear bizkithil?
Posted Image

#37 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:19 AM

chesta,

Disbelievers, skeptics and cynics differ and all exist . Do you mean a cynic?  ???

Somewhere, I have a list of great quotes. But I can't find it so I don't remember who said this: "A Cynic is someone who looks at the world with a monacle in his mind's eye."

I consider myself a Cynic, as you will probably be able to tell if you read my posts or go to my website. In fact, if somebody asked me what my "superhero power" is, it would be cynicism. Yet, here I am, looking at ghost pictures and telling stories.

I'm reading Stephen King's "IT" right now, and I think he sheds some light on passionate disbelievers in the paranormal. It isn't that they simply find a thing unbelievable; it's that it upsets their entire balance of all things rational. It offends them because they simply cannot reconcile these things with their own beliefs.

I think it's largely because they don't know enough about their own beliefs to see where things fit.

As to the purpose of this thread: I tend to be on the side of pure balance in investigation. I think we need to sort out the wheat from the chaff, as it were, in order to gain any sort of credibility.

It's people who walk into a situation and shout "Ghost" at the first sign of something a little less than normal who fuel disbelief.

#38 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:17 PM

oh its absolutely clear i get what you guys are saying....science is the very discipline made for things like that, but let me see if i can make my point......when i say that these things while in our dimension or reality or whatever y9ou wanna call it have to conform to our known scientific laws, for instance...given that the things that people see "apparitions" are real and some type of external energy then it is a given that they conform to our law of gravity, other wise witnesses would only report seeing apparitions shoot skyward and disappear.....so if the do enter our atmosphere and conform to laws of gravity, mass, physics etc. then they can be explained by these same laws, we just have to figure out how.....does that make any sense?

#39 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:49 PM

Biz,

I do see your point for sure but I have to think that science doesn't know all and isn't a finite subject.  I think that science as we know it is just in it's infancy.  It has a very long way to go and I think that apparitions, etc. are here and don't comply with all the laws of science.  I think that in order to do any paranormal research you have to think outside the box and not limit yourself to thinking that current scientific theory is all there is.  There is much, much more out there.

Just my opinion agree or disagree. [smiley=cwm1.gif]

#40 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:05 PM

absolutely i agree thats exactly what i am saying but without using science as a base we will never get any recognition whatsoever...IMHO

#41 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:36 PM

I agree that science can be used as the starting block but you have to go outside of known science to finish the race.  I think that most people run into trouble when they only accept true science and nothing else.  That is where there is conflict.  I know for a fact that ghosts exist...heck, I got one on videotape which proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt to me.  My quest now is exactly how they exist, where and why.  That is the tough part of the entire quest for me. ;D

#42 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:40 AM

I agree that science can be used as the starting block but you have to go outside of known science to finish the race.  I think that most people run into trouble when they only accept true science and nothing else.

** applause ** it couldn't have said in a better way!
Posted Image

#43 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:28 PM

i agree thats what ive been saying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users