Orbs?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 spider_rob

spider_rob

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, legends and folklore, history, reading, PS2 and Wii

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

Okay, heres my problem with the so called orbs found in photos. I have seen orbs in photos before and they all look the same. The same as dust that reflects light, light that reflects off a surface,or even little bugs moving fast caught in the frame. Heck, i can see orbs if i squeeze my eyes shut tight after looking in a bright light! So, will someone just tell me where they get the idea that it is a spirit? While some spirirts show faces, bodies, or even mist.

Personally, i believe whole heartedly in paranormal experiences. I just can't hop on the "orb wagon". No offense to anyone who does believe. :Spaz:

-Spider_rob :yawn:
I'll Kill you and the NIGHT!! -Leon Belmont

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:39 AM

I agree, and for more about where the "faces" some claim to see in orbs, look up "chromeric abberations" That is the characteristic of light speed to be affected by different thicknesses of glass in a lens. It will throw yet another shovelfull of dirt on the "orbs are spirits" idea....

#3 spider_rob

spider_rob

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, legends and folklore, history, reading, PS2 and Wii

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the input. I will check that out!

#4 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

spider_rob,

I'm there with you on that.

I also believe in the paranormal.

BUT!

I just cannot convince myself an orb is anything more than bugs, water, or simple reflection.
Though they do make some interesting images when you blow them up till they become pixilated.
I see nothing paranormal in them.

M

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#5 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

It's the orbs in video/photography that I have the most problem with. I have seen orbs with my own eyes and I have watched them follow specific paths where they passed through doors and walls. I do believe there are paranormal orbs but to put much stock in vidoe/photo orbs is where I have the hardest time.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

Orbs seen visually would at least deserve a second look since those likely do meet the criterea of self illuminating. Orbs caught by a camera and flash are very likely dust, etc. Sef illuminating orbs (or anything else for that matter, including mists) likely are producing energy of some type. The source for this energy would be the determining factor on paranormal or not.

#7 spider_rob

spider_rob

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

A little late......personally i have taken many pictures where orbs have shown up. I an defenitely say if it is take out doors you are looking at bugs and dirt caught in flight! Not to mention pollen which make me sneeze :ghost:

-Spider_rob :ghost:

#8 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

It's the orbs in video/photography that I have the most problem with. I have seen orbs with my own eyes and I have watched them follow specific paths where they passed through doors and walls. I do believe there are paranormal orbs but to put much stock in vidoe/photo orbs is where I have the hardest time.

I've seen orbs too with my own eyes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floaters

I'm not saying this is what you've seen, just airing a possibility.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#9 2012leo

2012leo

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:29 AM

Okay, heres my problem with the so called orbs found in photos. I have seen orbs in photos before and they all look the same. The same as dust that reflects light, light that reflects off a surface,or even little bugs moving fast caught in the frame. Heck, i can see orbs if i squeeze my eyes shut tight after looking in a bright light! So, will someone just tell me where they get the idea that it is a spirit? While some spirirts show faces, bodies, or even mist.

Personally, i believe whole heartedly in paranormal experiences. I just can't hop on the "orb wagon". No offense to anyone who does believe. ;)

-Spider_rob ;)

I think most photographic orbs are useless and before watching any ghost hunters episodes at that! I have it on good authority though that some people can create them in real life-realtime, good authority isn't really good enough for me though.
"I disagree with fluffymongering"

#10 AbbeyGal

AbbeyGal

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:04 AM

Everyone I've talked to who has seen orbs visually has described them as lights, not floating shadow spots.

However, I've seen what I assumed was floaters swarming about while I was tending a grave at a cemetery one day. After several seconds, they turned into bright lights, like little magnesium flares, swarmed about for a few more seconds, then blipped out like televisions used to do in the 60's when they were turned off. The lights had been bright enough to leave burn-in in my eyes. This was on a cloudy, semi-rainy day with no sunlight, other light sources, or reflective surfaces that could have caused that.

A couple of years later, I saw a quarter-sized magnesium flare like light float past me in my office at work where I deal with a lot of historical artifacts. Spider_rob's assumption that this kind of thing is caused by staring into a bright light doesn't fit. I hadn't been looking into a bright light before that, and there is something different about the texture of the light I saw compared to retina burn lights.

#11 spider_rob

spider_rob

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

Everyone I've talked to who has seen orbs visually has described them as lights, not floating shadow spots.

However, I've seen what I assumed was floaters swarming about while I was tending a grave at a cemetery one day. After several seconds, they turned into bright lights, like little magnesium flares, swarmed about for a few more seconds, then blipped out like televisions used to do in the 60's when they were turned off. The lights had been bright enough to leave burn-in in my eyes. This was on a cloudy, semi-rainy day with no sunlight, other light sources, or reflective surfaces that could have caused that.

A couple of years later, I saw a quarter-sized magnesium flare like light float past me in my office at work where I deal with a lot of historical artifacts. Spider_rob's assumption that this kind of thing is caused by staring into a bright light doesn't fit. I hadn't been looking into a bright light before that, and there is something different about the texture of the light I saw compared to retina burn lights.

Well, it's not my assumption. I just said that i can see orbs after looking at light!

#12 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

I have an eye exam done annually. Nothing like that going on. Besides, if the orb is visible when the eyes are open and they are not when the eyes are closed it eliminates this possibility. It even eliminates the residual light explanation.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#13 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

I have an eye exam done annually. Nothing like that going on.

Everyone has a few floaters, it's not only with eye illness. My eyes are certainly in mint condition.

Besides, if the orb is visible when the eyes are open and they are not when the eyes are closed it eliminates this possibility.

The floaters I see with my eyes open often disappear when I close my eyes. Must be ghosts then.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#14 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

Yep, bright lights wouldn't be floaters. The floaters I see usually look like the ones that's often presented as orbs in photos. They're kinda transparent, small and round.

Edited by plindboe, 21 June 2008 - 09:42 AM.

#15 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:25 PM

I never intended to EVER get in a discussion of this subject again, but just have to say this. I don't think anyone can say what they "believe" on any subject unless they've experienced it. That goes for orbs and everything else.

I know that some people have seen orbs with the naked eye; inside, outside, night or day. I called them "spheres" because I never heard the term orbs. Camera of any kind not involved!
What I saw was not ball lightning, alien or floaters or light reflections etc etc.
I'll never try to convince another of what I saw. But I know what I saw and what I felt at those times of seeing.
What I'm getting at is that there are orbs.....and then there are orbs.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users