The Belief Engine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritsOfMd

SpiritsOfMd

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:A little 'bit of everything!

Posted 24 September 2003 - 05:36 PM

Hi Flying,

You may move this to the website board but after reading some of the posts and some of the debates here I thought I would throw this in as well, I stumbled across this article and found it to be pretty good....long but good :)

http://www.csicop.or....html#emotional
[FONT=Courier][COLOR=blue]"EVEN IF YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK, IF YOU JUST SIT THERE YOU WILL STILL GET HIT"

#2 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 24 September 2003 - 05:56 PM

Very interesting article  ;D

Alot of truth in its conception. Very clear and definitly worth reading . :)

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#3 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:12 AM

Hi Spirits,

Excellent article, glad you posted it!  It kinda follows my philosophy that Truth is in the eye of the beholder, and has many different levels. :)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#4 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 11:34 AM

Interesting article. But does not explain how concrete objects can be altered, such as the great story  Offdahook posted today in personal encounters. How can a dresser move across the floor, or a fan turn on without being plugged in?

Or is it in our mind's capability to actually move things without touching them. Perhaps.
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#5 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 11:45 AM

Interesting article. But does not explain how concrete objects can be altered, such as the great story  Offdahook posted today in personal encounters.

I think you might be misunderstanding the article's purpose.  It's not trying to explain away anything.  It's simply a discussion (well-thought-out and interestingly written, in my opinion, if perhaps a little brief) of how belief works.
What Would Batman Do?

#6 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 01:27 PM

I completely disagree with you Gregory (sorry!)

I perceived the article to attribute any kind of paranormal activity as a function of the brain that triggers embedded beliefs and as quoted in the article:

"we can falsely attribute to the external world perceptions and experiences that are created within the brain. We are not always able to distinguish material originating in the brain from material from the outside world, and thus we can falsely attribute to the external world perceptions and experiences that are created within the brain. "

OK, now I am going back to oohing and aahing at orbs, I have to stop opening my mouth in these forums!
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#7 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 02:23 PM

Properly speaking, Alcock is not commenting on paranormal activity at all, but rather on the perception of strange events as being paranormal.  You mentioned a desk moving with seemingly no external cause.  Alcock's article does not concern itself with why the desk moves, rather, it concerns itself with why we are willing to accept one notion (that ghost moved the desks) while at the same time laughingly rejecting another notion (that invisible elves moved it), even though, objectively speaking, there may be no more evidence for ghosts than for elves.

And I hope you didn't mean that last sentence too seriously; this forum is a better place to open your mouth than many others I could mention.
What Would Batman Do?

#8 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:05 AM

IT IS ALL IN OUR MIND! How True! But isn;t it the way of LIFE?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users