• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:15 PM

Ok ive noticed that in most photos i see with a mist/fog in it people claim that its a ghost with no questions asked.  But ive found that in some of the pictures i have that have a mist in the photo i can explain pretty easily through weather conditions, cold(breath), high humidity, are some weather conditions that have come to my attention to cause a misty figure in alot of photos.  I just want to know, what does everone else think about mists?

#2 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:22 PM

I'm pretty skeptical of any pics unless they show an actual apparition. I'd only really accept a pic of mist as a ghost if I was there when it was taken and there was other stuff going on which led me to believe that the mist was a ghost. And of course there would have to be no real mist around, etc.

I mean, they look like pictures of mist at night to me... what am I supposed to think?

Same thing with orbs, while we're on this subject.

#3 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 16 November 2003 - 10:40 AM

I realize that mist pics can be a bit of problem some times.  The biggest problem is that (with any pic) you have to take the investigator's word to some extent on the circumstances surrounding the pic.  Like for example, the breath, if it is seventy degrees out you aren't going to have that as a problem.  You would have to take the photographer's word that it wasn't cold outside.

Here is a pic that I took last summer.  It was a clear, warm night with no fog, rain, breath, etc.  This actually is one of four in a row that had mist in them but this one is the best and also has a wonderful orb in it.  I just thought I would post it because there is no reason for the mist to be there.  The van in the shot was shut off and the keys were in my pocket also so it isn't exhaust.  Give it a look and see what you think. ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Brandon

Brandon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 05:11 PM

That is a pretty neat picture!

#5 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 06:35 PM

I tend to be pretty skeptical when it comes to mists.  There are just waaaayyyy too many things that can cause them.

Like for example, the breath, if it is seventy degrees out you aren't going to have that as a problem

Well, krc... generally speaking you would be right.  However I have one slight problem with that statement.  I saw Brandon mention high humidity and that is what I personally believe is the number one cause of "mists" in pictures.  Even when it is 70,80,90, even 100 degrees outside, if the relative humidity is above about 80 percent (which it is many times in the summer in the midwest, south, east, and southeast regions of the U.S.) your breath will condense.. which is invisible to the naked eye.  Also if the humidity is low and you are sweating (say, from trudging around a graveyard carrying a camera), your sweat will evaporate causing your body to "steam".. also invisible to the naked eye in warm weather.  However... if exposed to a bright light source especially backlighting (camera flash, flood light, etc.) you CAN see these effects.

By the way, krc.. your photo is amazing as usual.  The orb is fantastic. But like I said, I am a big skeptic about mists, so I will believe in half of it if that's ok.   ;D
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#6 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 16 November 2003 - 06:50 PM

It's ok, I am not trying to convince you just present you with some things that I have run into during the course of my investigations that can't be explained...I guess a little food for thought.

I live in Northern Minnesota...we don't have really hight humidity very often at all.  Probably about as often as northern Florida gets snow.  For the most part (with a few days exception) the humidity is very low and thus not the cause for the mist.  I guess I take that for granted some times with humidity not being a great concern.  By humidity being high I am talking with the heat on a clear day and not when it is raining.  Of course the humidity is high then.  You can believe all, half or none if you want to, I know what happened and what it was like...you weren't there and all you have is that I am making a statement.  I know you don't know me but I do all of my investigations on the up and up and would never cheat on anything. ;D

#7 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 06:57 PM

Woah!  easy there, I wasn't trying to say that you were cheating or faking or anything.  I was just trying to say that personally I take mists with a grain of salt since they seem to have so many explanations.  I'm not saying that yours isn't authentic, just that I prefer to consider the orb and not the mist.  Nothing personal.  B)
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#8 Brandon

Brandon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 07:59 PM

Yeah im to much of a believer in mists but that is a very good picture.  I mean i wasn't there so i can't say anything about it, other than good picture!

#9 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 09:07 PM

I wasn't saying that you were accusatory in any way and I am sorry if my post made you feel that way.  I was just trying to make a point about how all you have to go on concerning the conditions and surroundings is what I have said.  You really have no other proof other than that.  Again, I am sorry if you thought I took you wrong, I meant nothing by it in any way.  I was also just saying that my methods are kept very clean.  I am very serious when investigating and outside of a couple of accidents that have scrapped evidence, I keep it all on the up and up.  For example, I will open a new audio tape even if the last one I used only has two minutes of recording on it.  Just making a point and not getting upset....ok. ;D

#10 JimTheBrit

JimTheBrit

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:32 AM

Why assume that the mist is a physical phenomenon? The first questions I'd ask are:
- How was the photograph processed?
- Are there any known errors that can occur in the processing method and affect the photographs being developed?
- Are there processing errors that occur that cause mist-like effects on photographs?
- Could the misting in the photograph in question be considered an example of any of these types of errors?

If the answer is 'yes' to the last 3 then any statement that there's a paranormal influence in the misting should be discounted - unless it can be shown that appropriate steps were taken to eliminate the processing errors during the photo development stage.

#11 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:43 AM

I'm not going to claim that anything that has been said about the conditions is wrong, and I'm not saying anything is faked, and I'm not going to offer an explaination as to what the mist and orb could be, because I don't know much about meteorology or photography.

But my point with this type of thing is this: If you weren't a ghost hunter and weren't looking for or thinking about ghosts, and you took some pictures somewhere and they had phonomena which looked like this on them, would you think at all that they were ghosts?

The picture is certainly a fine example of an orb and of mist. I believe in the picture and in the photographer. But really, what do you have there? If this wasn't a ghost site I wouldn't think that pic was one of ghosts. If this was an astronomy site and you told me that orb was a picture of Pluto viewed through a powerful telescope, I'd probably think it was such.

I guess its just personal experience.. I've heard many personal accounts from friends, etc, who have seen ghosts and had experiences. I've had some myself. None of them mention orbs or mist as being a part of the manifestation. People I know who have seen things have actaully seen human-like figures or faces. As such, thats the kind of thing which I am looking for. If I feel a tap on my shoulder one night or hear something and look around and see an orb or mist there, I'll change my mind real quick.. but until then I just can't buy it.

#12 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:36 AM

Hi Paul,  you make a good point but one thing that I feel needs some explaining is that you are looking for only apparitions.  Orbs are just a basic form of energy and are not always visible to the naked eye or the camera lens.  The mist is basic ectoplasm and not an apparition either so it wouldn't be able to tap you on the shoulder.  I guess I would have to say that it is perhaps able to be equated to a car.  You just are looking for the nice shiny new car but the car also needs gas and oil.  The orb and mist are simply the gas and oil to the apparition. ;D

#13 Brandon

Brandon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 08:39 PM

well put krcguns!

#14 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 18 November 2003 - 02:08 PM

Something that must be considered in all cases is that when environmental conditions create a warmer temp shortly after colder and vice versa mist is created. This goes for objects as well such as tombstones. They retain cooler temps even in the summer and in the am hours its quite easy to see mist or capture it on film.

One suggestion for beating this phenomenon is to take multiple shots of the same area from differing angles.

Just my take,

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#15 stevenedel

stevenedel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 12:38 AM

None of them mention orbs or mist as being a part of the manifestation.

You make some good points, Paul. With regard to this one: I get the impression that in an urge to produce tangible proof for ghosts, to take them beyond the realm of mere individual experience and anecdotal evidence, people grasp their camera and/or recorder, very much prepared in advance to accept any anomaly in the resulting photographs or sound recordings as being paranormal. Photo's are typically taken under conditions when you would normally not even think of using a camera - i.e., in pitch dark night. That camera's and film produce anomalies under such conditions isn't at all surprising.

Orbs are just a basic form of energy and are not always visible to the naked eye or the camera lens.  The mist is basic ectoplasm and not an apparition either so it wouldn't be able to tap you on the shoulder.

As you seem to know an awful lot about it: what determines these variations? Why mist one time, orbs the next, and a face or a person on a third occasion? Again, this randomness mainly seems to suggest that you are not finding coherent evidence for a part of reality with consistent rules and manifestations, but rather that all manner of chance anomalies are being interpreted towards the desired conclusion.
Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. (Carl Sagan)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users