i would like to believe, but......

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:14 AM

[glow=red,2,300]SpectoralHigh[/glow]

When you do get an EMF meter make sure you know the in's and out's about it many people get false readings because they are not using them correctly.

70% to 80% of the time you will get nothing most of the time you will think "is this thing working" and when you are standing there late at night, in the graveyard, in silence and you get a spike and your meter squeals, you will probably jump, I know I did.

The Dr. Gauss model made by the Huntar Company is a great base model it is easy to use, low cost, and very sensitive.
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#47 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:11 AM

Hi Spectoralhigh,
Hi Ohorror,

Ya, Hodges put little cuts all through the article, he was obviously laughing at us and intended ill.  I am sure he put that "Quote" from Nichols with the intent to lead folks to believe that he was with us, in an attempt to discredit the group.  I even sent that buzzard an mpg that showed an orb coming through the basement ceiling near his head.  The article put a bad taste in my mouth.  I suppose our groups founder decided to let folks make up there own mind with the article, she's usually right.  Yes, the "group" that I frequently refer to in my posts is GHOSM, I am a member.

Ohorror, I remember you telling about that meter squeeling.  I would have done more that jump, probably would need a change of shorts. LOL ;)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#48 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 24 June 2003 - 03:06 AM

I have a great interest in the paranormal.  I want to believe.  I really do, but nothing of great value has ever happened to me.  People go on ghost tours all of the time in the nearby town of St. Augustine and come back with great videos or orbs and the like.  They also see things.  I, as usual, have seen nothing.  Maybe it is right in front of my face, but I don't see it.  My cat has gone missing and I was talking to a psychic friend of my sister's online.  I told her that I am missing a cat and she said immediately "Is he grey?"  The strange thing about that is we have a lot of orange and white cats at our house.  He is the only grey one.  She told me that he was fine and would be back within two weeks, but I haven't seen him.  I want so much to believe, but I've always had this "prove it to me" thing.  I eat at a haunted restaurant all of the time where people are always seeing all kinds of things; especially in the ladies' restroom, but I haven't seen a thing.  I want to believe, I really do, but the ghosts just don't seem to like me. ???
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#49 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 24 June 2003 - 06:54 AM

Noelle...Do you have a microcassette tape recorder?  If so...using a brand new tape...go someplace like a cemetery or other haunt and put it to use.  Make sure it has an extended mic.  Let the tape run as you carry it around and ask the ghosts questions.  After each question...pause for a minute and give them time to talk to you.  You will be very surprised at what you can hear even just playing back the tape.  I have heard many when just playing the tape back.  Go to the evp board and give a listen...there are some really good ones there.  You will find that eventually they will talk to you and maybe that will help...don't try too hard to believe.  It will come if you are willing to try and prove it to yourself as that's the only person you have to convince! ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#50 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:23 PM

Hi Noelle,

NoelleQUOTE-I want so much to believe, but I've always had this "prove it to me" thing. -QUOTE

Nothing wrong with a prove it to me nature, in fact I think it is a necessary element to keep your research honest.

Keep at it and don't give up.  It's kinda like chopping wood.  It's not that final chop that that cuts through the wood, but rather the multiple chops that came before.  Same thing in paranormal research.  Keep at it and eventually you will start getting results.  Make sure you talk to the spirits also.  tell them what you are going to do just like they are standing next to you (they might really be!). ;)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

• Guests

Posted 29 June 2003 - 03:04 PM

READ YOUR POSTING ABOUT THE HOUSE IN NYACK.  IM FROM QUEENS AND KNOW SOME PEOPLE WHO HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE CASE.  WHAT GOT BACK TO ME IS THAT THE NEW OWNERS, HAVING JUST MOVED INTO THIS FINE HOME, WERE UP MAKING BREAKFAST WHEN THE MAN OF THE HOUSE WAS STARTLED BY THE SUDDEN APPEARANCE IN HIS KITCHEN OF 3 REVOLUTIONARY WAR ERA SOLDIERS IN FULL (RED)PERIOD GARB.  WHAT MIGHT HAVE FASCINATED SOME REALLY CREEPED THESE FOLKS OUT AND ITS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THEY WENT AFTER THE REALTOR, HENCE THE LEGAL BATTLE WHICH ENSUED (AND APPARENTLY IS STILL ONGOING). THE WHOLE DEBACLE HAS RESULTED IN THE NEW YORK'S "DISCLOSURE" LAW, WHICH MAINLY APPLIES TO OTHER, WELL, DEFICIENCIES A HOME MIGHT HAVE BUT NOW COVERS PARANORMAL PHENOMENA.  

I WORKED IN MANHATTAN IN REAL ESTATE FOR A SHORT TIME A FEW YEARS AGO.  I CAN TELL YOU THAT NO REALTOR IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL "DISCLOSE" SUCH INFORMATION, OR MUCH ELSE!!!

TAKE CARE,
BRAD HUDDESLTON
FT. BRAGG, NORTH CAROLINA

#52 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 03:17 PM

[glow=red,2,300]WELCOME BRAD[/glow]

I appreciate your thoughts.  Historically, red coats would be accurate for Ney York.  Not only in the revolution, but also much earlier.

I understand the realtors position of not wanting to disclose "ghosts", but it might actually enhance the desirability of the house to some of us. *LOL*

I hope you come back again and share your thoughts with us. ;)

#53 maharet

maharet

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 05:22 PM

I have to give a few points of advice for using a microcassette recorder because I have to use one every single day.

ESPECIALLY on a windy night, I would not recommend walking around with one because the wind will drown out the majority of other sound.

Rapid movement can also create some noise that will be picked up by the microphone, even an extended mic. Shuffling papers, clanging noises from things you might be wearing and even footsteps can be incredibly loud because the microphones are very sensitive to pick up all sounds.

#54 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 29 June 2003 - 05:37 PM

Maharet...what you say about the recorder is very true!  In fact if it is really windy I don't do any outdoor investigating.  I stay inside where I don't have to worry about the wind drowning anything out.  I have been working for a lot of hours on evp's though and have noticed that there is a big difference between a clank or shuffling papers or even the occasional static.  When you get a voice on tape it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand straight up as most of the time it is an answer to your question that you just asked.  If you haven't already I suggest that you check out the evp board...there are quite a few really good ones in there.  I also think that if you take your time when walking and be aware that you are wearing a mic, there won't be any serious problems.  I have had several evp's washed out due to the fact that someone was talking or there was too much noise but I have gotten a lot of very good ones! ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#55 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 07:10 PM

Hi maharet,

You are absolutely right with your tips about using the recorders.  Another I would mention, especially with the clip on types, is to avoid anything rubbing against the microphone cord.  When the gain is cranked up abrasive sounds can be amplified.  I also suggest one of those itty bitty windscreens available at radio shack to cut down on wind noise. ;)

#56 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 01 August 2003 - 09:56 AM

OK-

A lot of very good information has been given to me.  There are areas around where I live that would be great places to bring a microphone.  Now my question is this.  What is everyone's opinion on the best time to go out and make recordings?  Is it in the morning, dusk, after dark?  Is it best when all else is quiet?  Or does it really matter about the time?  

Regarding the Ackley House in Nyack, NY--I've mentioned that my Dad sails with an Ackley who grew up in the house.  I have not met the man, but I would LOVE to hear firsthand the stories that he tells my Dad.  He was excited when I brought back photos of the house on a visit to Nyack 4 1/2 years ago and he wanted copies.  I was in Nyack about 3 weeks ago and drove by the Ackley mansion, but I didn't stop to take a photo.  I don't know anyone who lives there, but I sure would love to see  the inside of the place.  The couple that bought the Ackley house in 1990 were not crazy about ghosts, as was Mrs. Ackley.  The man did not have a problem with them, but his wife was totally spooked and that is what made them want to get their deposit back.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#57 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 03:09 PM

I do much better at night, or in the dark.  Course it could be that I just relax and concentrate more at night, or the dark too. ;)

#58 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:51 AM

u have a point here dennis, if we can help our mind "concentrate" we can get connected quite easily.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users