i would like to believe, but......

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 skeptic001

skeptic001

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 04:34 AM

i am a rationalist at heart.  i am a man of evidence, experimentation, reason, and logic.  if i can't prove something scientifically, then it might as well not exist.

i look at this site, and all i see are blurry photos that could easily have been doctored, EVPs that prove nothing, and stories that could easily be made up.

i would love to see the supernatural face-to-face, to have an encounter that would annihilate my doubts and make me a believer.  but judging from the "evidence" this site has shown me, i severely doubt that will ever happen.

#2 skeptic001

skeptic001

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 05:13 AM

i'm wanting to prove or disprove the existence of the supernatural, even if only to myself, so i'm thinking of running some simple experiments with an ouija board.  every ghost site i go to seems to think that ouija boards are the "real deal", so to speak.

so, i'll be buying an ouija board, and keep using it till i get some verifiable supernatural activity around the house.  i wll not give up till i have what ppl on this message board would call a "presence" in my house.  

#3 Midnyte69

Midnyte69

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 08:55 AM

well, if those are the steps you are planning to utilize... you may wish to rethink things. For, There are just as many people who think that the actions of a Ouija Board are caused by involuntary, unconsious muscle movements and tremors as there are that believe that using one opens you up for non-consenting outright possesions. Therefore, your own investigations are flawed.

Now, I don't mean to bash and my intentions are not to do so. I myself am a skeptic of sorts. Now, I don't believe outright that there are ghosts and demons and astral visages... but I have not closed my mind to the 'possibility' of their existance. I too will only truly believe once I have an experience of my own that will at least to me... show that they exist. However, by that same token... Until that time... I will search for rational answers to what has caused these strange phenomena that people have been reporting since before the dawning of the age of Christ.

Granted... yes, photos can be retouched... but I think that here you will find many others that are also looking for answers. They have taken pics of things that they have no understanding of... so they post the pics in hopes of that answer. And yes... some of the pictures you see here may have been touched up... but only the photographer knows for certain. Some of them are easily explained... others are not that easy... but all are here for the same reason; To Get Proof BEYOND any shadow of doubt as to the existance or non existance of spiritual activity after death. As of now... nobody has THE Ultimate answer. So until then... we search.

#4 SpiritsOfMd

SpiritsOfMd

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:A little 'bit of everything!

Posted 10 December 2002 - 11:21 AM

Hello Skeptic and Welcome.  I myself am a believer in the paranormal but a skeptic as well, I also seek that "proof" that will just blow me and everyone else away....however I have yet to find enough evidence to submit to the "world" and become that famous person...although I have enough proof for myself and thats enough to keep me believing and searching for that gold at the end of the rainbow.  
  I dont suggest running out and getting a ouija board to try and provoke something to appear, if it were that easy I think the "Scientific"  part of the paranormal would of tapped into that along time ago and thus having their grand proof.
  As far as the "evidence" on this site, I would have to agree with Midnyte69, I think it is just people with the same interest sharing information and looking for answers, we dont swear to the fact that everyones pictures are proof, we just comment and form an oppinion for them.  Yes people plaster the internet with fakes and retouched photos but take it with a grain of salt, its kind of the equivilant to someone stealing a picture of a beautiful woman and putting it into their profile and calling it them, after seeing enough of it you  can sometimes tell whats a fraud.  
 You can spend days searching the internet and you will not find scientific "proof" that ghosts exist, you will find some pretty compelling information and photos and some of that info science cannot explain, as of yet,  from what I understand, but its a good thing that I dont base my standards of beliefs on just scienific evidence because I would be nuts not to take a second look at the things people have said or gotten pictures of, unless everyone is a liar that believes in the paranormal and every picture is fake.....I guess if thats the case I am just a fool.
In the meantime, happy ghosthunting and good luck :)

[FONT=Courier][COLOR=blue]"EVEN IF YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK, IF YOU JUST SIT THERE YOU WILL STILL GET HIT"

#5 gowie2hotty

gowie2hotty

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 11:22 PM

as a paranormal investigator, you everyday see things from those who do not believe in the existance of spirit beings such as ghosts, etc.  And everyone is sincerely entitled to their opinion and while its true that some may go through life without ever having any contact with the spirit world at all,  heck even we at GHI may never again have a spiritual encounter, but when your in an abandoned house in the middle of the night you've searched the house top to bottom, and you look down to see your emf meter giving you a peculiar reading and then from the floor above you you hear foot steps, you look around the room and no one that was with you is out of your site, but something is not only moving upstairs but walking in human foot step pattern. It also is the same for the night in the mining cemetery, let me tell you this when things are being hurled at you and you know not another person is around and ur pretty darn sure its not the squirrels chucking rocks and banging metal you start to say to yourselves well if these guys arent real they arent doing a very good job at it.  Like i said its all a matter of opinion but until you've experienced it yourself don't ever count it out. Trust me, on that.
Come Check out Jason Gowin online at - http://www.jasongowin.com

#6 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 08:13 AM

Skeptic, I would love to meet the supernatural face to face but that hasn't happen to me yet. As paranormal researchers we have to be our harshest critic.Photos of orbs mist and blurrs are a everyday piece of business to us.Untill YOU take that pic and you know the certainies of that pic you may be able to put some credence into it.So look at each thing with a skeptic eye, ya never know who's lookin back  :)
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#7 gowie2hotty

gowie2hotty

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 11:57 AM

well put secret, well put
Come Check out Jason Gowin online at - http://www.jasongowin.com

#8 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 09:18 AM

Thank ye SweetE :)
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#9 voices

voices

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 11:16 AM

You want scientific prove, but there still exists a lot of questions in science about matter, investigation
methods, interpretation...
As long as everything isn't understood or whatever
you must call it (which will probably never happen),
how can you exclude the paranormal?

just a thought . I'm drinking my third beer...

Is this a correct way of thinking or not?
::) ::)

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2003 - 01:47 PM

You shall believe when you see a ghost...as i did...  :)

#11 Altinure

Altinure

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 01:48 PM

I never believed in them until I experienced living in a house with one/many (I have no clue, hehe).  I shrugged off the first few incidents, but I experience things weekly/daily now, so I'm pretty sure they exist.

#12 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 April 2003 - 06:42 AM

The question is not whether you need scientific proof, but whether science can proove! LoL

I am not saying everyone should believe blindly, but there are certain things that HAVE to be believed!

Anyway, find a reason, before the reason finds you! ::)
Posted Image

#13 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,369 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:22 AM

skeptic why dont you try going on a ghost hunt see if you can find you a group that can take you to some place's ... take alot of pictures while you do it... see what you get...  :)
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#14 psychoblonde

psychoblonde

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 08:46 AM

Moon,

I am curious about something......what HAS to be believed and why?

As I am just learning, just trying to understand this.

Thanks
PB

#15 Star13

Star13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 07:57 PM

I'll echo what Cleokat45 said...Once I saw one I was a believer! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users