• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 04:24 PM

I expected a reasonable conversation on the board , nothing less or more.

Fair enough.  I'm not sure how interesting it will be, but I'll take a stab at answering your questions.

I think it's fallicious to assume that ghosts necessarily need or want to be helped.  It seems to me that it requires a fairly drastic leap of nonlogic to get from "there's a ghost hanging out in this house" to "the ghost in this house wants to move on to the other side, but can't."  So unless the ghost explicitly asked for help, I don't think you should try.

Not sure if that answers your question?
What Would Batman Do?

#17 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 27 November 2003 - 04:33 PM

Outstanding answer Gregory , just what I was looking for 8)  ;D

Thanks for your input  :(

Rockhauler2k1

P.S. Were on a roll now  ;)
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#18 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 27 November 2003 - 06:59 PM

:-X :-[

just wanted to say my words have been wrong and mistimed. sorry for all the chaos, though I stand by my words. Perhaps I may need to explain things better, perhaps use better words.

great day all :)
Posted Image

#19 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:08 PM

Ok, here goes.  I'm sorry, Rockhauler.  Once again the written and the spoken word simply don't match up.  I completely misunderstood you.  However, if you only wanted feedback from the believers on this topic it seems like perhaps you could have posed your quesiton specifically to them.  Perhaps it should have been obvious to me, but I never saw anywhere where it said "for people who claim to help spirits 'cross over'".  I answered your question originally because I though you wanted everyone's opinion on this topic.

As for flyingorb... I am sorry to you, as well.  Apparently you understood exactly what Rockhauler was asking for and it was your post that originally hacked me off because the way it was phrased.

The beauty of Ghostvillage is that people here don't let things like this get out of hand.

Sorry to all! Please proceed and I will lurk and read.  ;D
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#20 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 07:41 AM

I agree Mastermind, Rock's topic was going to be an awesome one, though the moderator decided to end rather quickly with a comment.  I'll keep my comments to other threads then, heh.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#21 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 08:18 AM

helping ghosts cross over depends on certain factors. as far as I know, there are ghosts who just gets TRAPPED here (between dimensions), since they don't know they are yet ghosts. Some might have a specific reason to hang back, like revenge, emotions, and things. Sometimes it could also be they come here from other dimentions, but tend to hang back.

But I have a doubt! Is helping to cross over the same as exorcism?
Posted Image

#22 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 10:12 AM

I think Rock has a good topic started that can be informative for all. One I never thought about untill now.
Also if flyingorb wants to pm with Rock on this let it be. It's his prerogative, just as it would be each and everyone of you.
Don't sweat the small stuff. Let's get to the topic. I'm sure we will get sometime out of it.
My best friend was killed in a car crash. Her husband was murder a couple of yrs prior to that. I always wonder about her passing because it was so horrible. She was trapped in a burning car.She came to me in a dream and let me know that she was ok, however she let me know her husband hadn't made it. I'm am now wondering what happened to him, His death was tragic also, he was shot in a robbery. So does he not know that he is passed or did he have unfinished business? They left a young son. That would be enough to keep him from moving on. Why didn't he make it or did he ever? How can I know?
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#23 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 28 November 2003 - 01:42 PM

Okay, sorry... Rockhauler, if I may answer your question... Despite being one of the "great unwashed" who should be silent...

In 1998, Jennifer Krutila started a study where she asked members of The Spiritualist Church of Canada, various "house clearing" ghost-groups/investigators, generic (if one can use that term) psychics and the like about "why" we "should" clear homes... (something that the GHRS doesn't do... for various reasons.)

The answers she got from her cross-scetion of data from these groups was that the majority actually DID say that not all ghosts "should" or "want" to be moved along... and then, many did qualify that by saying "it's for the best" for these ghosts...

When she did ask about that, she was told that these folks (for the most part) knew that they were better off moved on to wherever... let's say "into the light".

How do these people know? Got me... Seems to me that the only "concrete" evidence of things "after death" would be difficult if not impossible to find out about without a certain type of experimentation and observation that would require one to die and stay dead for a while.

If we accept the theory that ghosts are indeed "survival of bodily death" of some sort, (again a theory based not on fact but on belief or hypothesis... and with so many alternative thoughts, I think we should all be wary of this...) I agree with you and Jennifer that indeed, maybe it's not our place to "push people along".

Very interesting indeed. I have read several studies on the topic over the year and it seems that the common thread tends to begin with the belief system of the one trying to lend aid.

Great response MJD and thanks for the input  :(

I will elaborate a bit more on the studies in future posts.  ;D

I'll be interested to see your final paper... Of course, if it is available for consumption by us cave-dwelling, unworthy, low-forhead, mouth-breathing folks unworthy to discuss such things.

Dont be so trite  :( I be happy to share my work with you when I complete it . It will be available online when completed and anyone can take a read if they care to do so .

Secret,

My best friend was killed in a car crash. Her husband was murder a couple of yrs prior to that. I always wonder about her passing because it was so horrible. She was trapped in a burning car.She came to me in a dream and let me know that she was ok, however she let me know her husband hadn't made it. I'm am now wondering what happened to him, His death was tragic also, he was shot in a robbery. So does he not know that he is passed or did he have unfinished business? They left a young son. That would be enough to keep him from moving on. Why didn't he make it or did he ever? How can I know?

Wow , what a sad thing for a family to have to endure  :'(. That poor child .

A common thread in my experiences throughout the years has been what I would call residual activity based death related to tragedy. What I find compelling about the tragedy you relate is that there was never any related phenomenon with the father but you actually saw the mother in a dream after the death. I had a related experience with actually smelling the perfume of a loved one after her death. I found it quite odd that the experience came shortly after the burial . I am not sure wether it was greif related or something a bit more unexplainable.

There is a line that we all will step to one day when the experience of losing a loved one or close friend hits close to home. It will happen or not. There is no controling what happens after death. Its one thing that none of us can control . Even the hardest skeptic /cynic will experience death in one form or another at some point in his or her life . Actually we all will experience it at least once in our lives even if its our own demise  :(

Thanks for relating your experience to us ,

Rockhauler2k1

P.S.

Im still interested in getting some feedback from one who actually does this , if you will share your experience with us here.  ;)
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#24 maharet

maharet

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 06:02 PM

Did anyone see Sylvia Browne on Larry King, Dec. 5?

I've got to say she was more accurate than I've John Edward has ever been.

I thought she had some interesting alternative theories to life after death. I'm not saying I necessarily believe in them but they at least they account for the possible presence of ghosts.

• Guests

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:40 PM

I just would like to say that I had a problem when my father passed. His spirit was trapped here because I believe he lied to the church. You see he was Roman Catholic and had been married and Divorced3 times denied all of his children.When he passed he was given a high mass roman catholic funeral and was buried in consecrated ground. After he passed my home became a really strange place to be,the toilet would flush,my side sliding windows would open and close on their own curtains opened and closed along with the blinds. Late at night you could hear scratching coming from the walls it was really strange. I contacted my aunt who was very rligious and explained to her what was happening she then contacted her minister and he told her to tell me to take a white candle and the bible and read the 23rd Psalm throughout the house. I followed his instructions and after I did that I never had another problem.It seemed to put his sole to rest after all the lies.

#26 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:08 AM

I followed his instructions and after I did that I never had another problem.It seemed to put his sole to rest after all the lies.

I guess till we really cross over the line, we are still bounded with the religious rituals and customs we have always believed or lived into. But is there more? In our custom, it is believed that if the body is not properly cremated and all the rituals done properly, well, the soul is doomed!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users