• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 chesta

chesta

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:39 AM

I am skeptical but I wouldn't call myself a skeptic, everyone should have some kind of skepticism and not be gullible.  I don't really like labels like this though because like with believer it sort of implies that its all faith based and with skeptics people get the idea of just non-believers.

To me it seems both sides have their dogmatists.  There are some believers who are gullible and closed-minded to opposing views.  With these types there isn't much you can do to get them to consider anything other then their beliefs.  Some closed-minded and so-called skeptics (who probably shouldn't even be considered skeptics) are just as dogmatic as any believer and they will always find an excuse to reject any outside views.  It's not that hard to for them to debunk anything.  With the skeptics it can get confusing because the belief based closed-minded skeptics who really shouldn’t be considered skeptics usually label themselves skeptics since it gets associated with rejection of the paranormal then that makes the others look bad.    

Overall everyone should be skeptical and I think the biggest problem with both sides is strict dogmatism which is very un-objective.  
http://clik.to/astralprojectionI refuse to commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud. – Carl Jung

#17 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 05:18 AM

Good post Chesta, I think that presents a real issue with believing or not believing.  Of couse that doesn't include everyone, since everyone is different.  I completely agree that the dogmatic foundations both extreme believers and unbelievers have will force those personal interpretations as if they were law.  It can work in both directions.  A dogmatic foundation can be nearly impossible to alter or remove without some serious open minded reprogramming.  Once you have taught your subconscious something, it's very difficult to tell it otherwise, especially if it feels the dogmatic belief is to it's overall benefit, health and safety.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#18 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 16 October 2003 - 07:44 AM

I don't think so; I can see how you might say that skeptics are believers on one side (if they believe that there is no such thing as the paranormal), but what are believers skeptical in?

;) :( :( :( :D :D lmao

Ask Yourself, the answer is in the question itself.
Posted Image

#19 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 09:41 AM

;) :( :( :( :D :D lmao

Ask Yourself, the answer is in the question itself.

Ah.  Now I get it.
What Would Batman Do?

#20 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 09:52 AM

Ah.  Now I get it.

;) :( You are smart buddy! Have a great day!
Posted Image

#21 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 05:36 AM

I call myself a skeptical believer.  The reason is this.  Whenever I "see" or experience something odd or unusual, my first thought is 'Oh, boy!  Paranormal!!!'  Then almost simultaneously I start looking for a logical explanation.  99% of the time I find a really mundane explanation and my giddness subsides.  However, that very rare 1% which is unexplainable keeps me believing.  For example, on one of the other threads a person was freaking out about flies.  As soon as I read it I thought, nuh huh, there's nothing paranormal about this, it's just getting to be that time of year.  But I have had events happen in my life which are absolutely undeniable that something not of this reality had controlled the event. ;)
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#22 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:56 AM

I am backwards,.. I don't think it could be paranormal untill the last.I always look for the explainable first :-/
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#23 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 12:30 PM

You are not! :(  We're both coming at it from different directions!  ;)
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#24 Acacia

Acacia

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 10:43 AM

Here's a prime example of a skeptical believer - me!  I am a medium and am pretty much forced to believe, since I interact with spirits on a daily basis.  I'd much rather just believe that I have some mental problem, but if I do it's rather complex (and aren't most crazy people the last to know?!).  So, I'm a believer due to the fact that I've had experiences since I was very young that "make" me believe.  But I'm skeptical, too.  I won't believe just anything.  I typically look at many "paranormal" things as possibly fraudulent, until I can investigate them myself.  There's too many dishonest people, I think.  So, I'm skeptical, unless I experience it or research it myself.  Now, I am open-minded and accept the possiblility that there are paranormal things out there, I just also accept the fact that there are more dishonest people than paranormal things, lol.
So there you have it...a skeptical believer.  I question people more than paranormal, though (but isn't that the point behind most skepticism?).  ;)

Many BLessings,
Acacia
www.angelfire.com/rpg2/lanaiwww.bumpinthenight.org

#25 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 09:28 AM

I question people more than paranormal, though (but isn't that the point behind most skepticism?).  ;)

this is a good approach, but questioning people? or poeple's ideas and thoughts? :(
Posted Image

#26 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:20 PM

I tend to do all of the above for differnt experiences.  It depends on the situation-- for instance if I see a vase fly through the air at me and no one else is around I'm a firm believer, but if a photo shows up I am doubtful until I have proof that cannot be explained.
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#27 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:01 AM

well, to belive a photo, I guess you also needs to know the circumstances and technicality involved in snappping it! it is more of an educational thing, and ofcourse, a bit of "belief" from the heart ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users