• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#151 stevenedel

stevenedel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 05:25 AM

Asking questions are always good. But what purpose does it serve when they are aimed at not getting the knowledge but just to counter?

Their purpose is to find out which knowledge can withstand critical questioning, and which crumbles away.

If an experience or sighting cannot be explained with everyday science, it is paranormal.

I don´t think that is correct, unless you use paranormal to indicate anything we don´t understand. Which would imply that black holes are paranormal, as are large parts of quantum physics. Things that are unexplained are simply that: unexplained. That doesn´t tell you anything about their nature.
Paranormal literally means ´outside the ordinary´. I think it is used to refer to phenomena that are supernatural: ghosts, clairvoyance, etc., things that lie outside the common everyday world and experience.
Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. (Carl Sagan)

#152 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,386 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 December 2003 - 06:16 AM

[quote]
Things that are unexplained are simply that: unexplained. That doesn´t tell you anything about their nature.
Paranormal literally means ´outside the ordinary´. I think it is used to refer to phenomena that are supernatural: ghosts, clairvoyance, etc., things that lie outside the common everyday world and experience. [/quote]that is just another thought philosophy! just because certain people doesnt understand, certain things just doesnt cease to be! But stevenedel, I appreciate the way you express yourself! 8) but I just differ your views![/quote]
Posted Image

#153 maharet

maharet

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 05:58 PM

Black holes are a bad example. They occur naturally and we understand the basics of how they work. They can even be quantified.

#154 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 06 December 2003 - 07:35 PM

Sometimes, I think the believers feel anyone who questions paranormal beliefs and experiences is just attacking them.

Believers get angry because they "know" the Truth, while skeptics don't make any such absolute claims.

Skeptics can absolutely keep an open mind but still question "paranormal experiences" - things that can't be explained by conventional means. Cynics will close their mind off.

Indeed cynics close their minds off. To "know" something and not even being willing to consider that it might be wrong is exactly what being close minded is. Many believers need to take a good hard look at themselves and consider the possibility that they could be the actual close minded cynics.

Peter :)
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#155 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,386 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 14 December 2003 - 04:56 AM

Believers get angry because they "know" the Truth, while skeptics don't make any such absolute claims.

so does that mean skeptics gets upset because they don't "know" the truth?

Indeed cynics close their minds off. To "know" something and not even being willing to consider that it might be wrong is exactly what being close minded is. Many believers need to take a good hard look at themselves and consider the possibility that they could be the actual close minded cynics.
Peter :)

Many believers yes. There are so much of BLIND BELIEFS around...... but also there are so much of CLOSED skeptics too! :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users