#46 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 15 July 2003 - 05:48 AM

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is used by skeptics to argue life after death for this reason.

The law deals with the amount of energy that can be taken from a source and its percentage of use . For example, cold water can not be warmed from cold to warm without an energy source of some sort.

The way this applies to life after death is that once your dead , decay destroys your body , physically, chemicaly and mentally. The implication is that since there is no host to to create energy therefore you can no longer exist.

There is no housing to contain your mental or spiritual state, ergo , you can no longer exist.

This is the reasoning of skeptical logic and is scientific but my personal implication of this evidence is as such : Too much is unexplained in the world of the living ergo , isn't it possible that we simply dont understand enough of the afterlife to make assumptions about physics as it applies or doesnt apply to life after death?

Physics is actual and applies to the living, so isnt it possible that not all things can be explained through physics regarding death and things of a spiritual nature?

It all comes down to the basic premise that the proof lies with the claimant , forgetting of course, that all variables and unknowns must also be taken into account before the truth can be known.

Rockhauler2k1

P.S. The definition of the second law of thermodynamics stated above is elementary at best . If you'd like a more detailed definition, I'd be happy to concur.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#47 maharet

maharet

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 08:24 PM

I didn't say energy can be destroyed. I know energy can't be destroyed. Where I may not be as thoroughly educated in physics, I do remember a few things, not all, from the formal education I have had in physics.

In regards to Rockhauler's statement, something has to happen to the energy after death. As Rustypouch said before, energy is constantly changing forms. Even at its basic biological level, the decayed body provides food for parasites and scavenging insects. The food is converted into energy the lifeform needs to sustain its life functions before dying.

Hmmm.....

#48 reprise

reprise

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 03:22 AM

In regards to Rockhauler's statement, something has to happen to the energy after death.

I'm not sure exactly what energy you're referring to here.  From a skeptical point of view, there is nothing other than the physical to be dissipated after death, and decomposition or cremation takes care of the potential energy stored in a corpse very nicely.

#49 Freda

Freda

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 03:57 AM

There is nothing stored in a corpse it has already left the body to return to 'source' the moment the body ceases to breathe any more. Some peole have actually heard the rending of the veil.

The spirit or the energy - whatever you want to call it - which animated the body leaves at the point of death, and returns from whence it came.

You are only burning an empty shell when cremation takes place, or burying and empty shell if ordinary burial takes place
Refuse to set boundaries to what is achievable and you will make the impossible happen. Brahma Kumaris.

#50 maharet

maharet

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 12:39 PM

Actually, I'm wondering what happens to the electro-chemical impulses of the brain. The energy must converted into something, though I suppose I should go and find some information on that subject from lab rats who do this sort of thing for a living.

As far as the physical goes, physical matter decomposes but it does, even at its basic biological level, turn into even food energy for plants and animals (insects).

#51 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 20 July 2003 - 12:51 PM

I suspect that the neurotransmitters would stop being produced as the demand for their function ceased (death).  As far as the body is concerned death is not immediate as physical processes continue, hair growth is one, as the body winds down.  Would be fascinating to get a pathologists viewpoint on the order and timeline functions cease as a body "dies".
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#52 maharet

maharet

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:10 PM

I'm guessing the neurotransmitters would stop producing them but the electricity has still been produced. What I mean is where does the energy go and what is it converted to?

Like I said, I'll have to do some research on this one, but just because you turn something off doesn't always something from moving.

For example, if we stopped transmitting signals for television, they signals won't stop traveling through space, there just won't be any new ones to travel.

#53 reprise

reprise

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:39 PM

I'm guessing the neurotransmitters would stop producing them but the electricity has still been produced. What I mean is where does the energy go and what is it converted to?

Like I said, I'll have to do some research on this one, but just because you turn something off doesn't always something from moving.

For example, if we stopped transmitting signals for television, they signals won't stop traveling through space, there just won't be any new ones to travel.

My WAG is that the neurotransmitters in a corpse are consumed as fuel by the process of decomposition, but I'll check into this.

flyingorb, while it's a widely held belief that hair and fingernails continue to grow after death - it is the contraction of the skin which creates this illusion- it's an urban legend; stand by for references.  :(

#54 reprise

reprise

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:55 PM

Do hair and nails continue to grow after death

Coffin nails

I just asked my son (the degree he's studying for is an honours degree in forensic science and his field is chemistry) about the neuro-transmitters and after a long-winded explanation about how life only exists for as long as the body is fighting equllibrium, he simplified the explanation to the bonds holding the neuro-transmitters together disintegrate and so the neuro-transmitters revert to their component parts.  He's out for a couple of hours, but I'll get him to find some references about the process if anyone's interested.

#55 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 20 July 2003 - 05:56 PM

I, for one would love to read or hear about information about what happens to the neurotransmitters after death.

Post away Reprise.

Actually the premise that nails and hair appear to be longer due to shrinkage is indeed actual . I recently read an atricle on the topic.

Id be interested in what your son comes up with  :(
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#56 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 20 July 2003 - 07:35 PM

Interesting...........another urban legend bites the dust.  I stand corrected.

<bows to Reprise>

The links were indeed interesting- as always.
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#57 reprise

reprise

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 08:38 PM

Interesting...........another urban legend bites the dust.  I stand corrected.

<bows to Reprise>

The links were indeed interesting- as always.

Isn't that what we're all here for - to eliminate the frauds and the misconceptions so that we can focus on establishing the truth without being distracted by what is demonstrably not true?    :)

#58 maharet

maharet

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:41 AM

Agreed, though that goes for everything and not just the things we'd like to pick and choose.

#59 me

me

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:33 PM

hi there....i m also an indian n i m a believer...can u tell me about the haunted places in india?????

#60 reprise

reprise

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 10:52 PM

hi there....i m also an indian n i m a believer...can u tell me about the haunted places in india?????

Welcome aboard.

You might find the Haunted locations forum a better place to ask this particular question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users