• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bangin

Bangin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 06:02 AM

I am in complete disbelief, but I sure hope this is true.  Apparently, there's an approved CLAIMANT for Randi's JREF million dollar challenge.  A group called the Yellow Bamboo Association have used their powers to knock down a Randi representative, which makes them a claimant towards the million dollars.  In order to win the million dollars, another Randi rep must be knocked down by one in the Yellow Bamboo group.  The money is to be handed over immediately afterwards.  What do you think of this?  Personally, I thought that I'd never see the day!

Yellow Bamboo site

Randi commentary

Press Release-Million Dollar Challenge
First voice: "Where is he...around here?"Second voice: "He's dead."First voice: "Ah, he could be anywhere then."

#2 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 12:55 PM

PLEASE keep us up to date on this. As a student of stage magic for years I've been aware of James Randy on many diferent levels. I so hope someone takes his money. He is a delightfuly smug SOB when it comes to the paranormal. It would sure be nice to see him have a nice big slice of humble pie.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#3 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 01:21 PM

He is a delightfuly smug SOB when it comes to the paranormal. It would sure be nice to see him have a nice big slice of humble pie.

Someone seems to be feeling a tad vindictive...

Anyway, Bangin is right to be in disbelief.  The Yellow Bamboo groups hasn't even passed the preliminary challange (this seems to have caused some confusion; Randi did send a representative to check them out, but that was all he did: check them out.  He was not there to administer the test).
What Would Batman Do?

#4 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:06 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath.  I looked at the video on Randi's site and I certainly did not see anything remotely resembling any serious challenge to Randi's million.
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#5 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:53 PM

It will be interesting indeed to see what the true composition of the final test will be for the million. If it goes to that level .

I for one, would like to see them take the Million.

Lets see how it turns.  8)

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#6 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 03:31 PM

I for one, would like to see them take the Million.

Personally, I hope that if someone ever wins the million, that someone will be a lot less slimy-sounding than the Yellow Bamboo group.
What Would Batman Do?

#7 chesta

chesta

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 07:37 PM

Even though I still think it's not a valid challenge I hope they can win the million.  I wonder if a lot of hardcore skeptics would turn against Randi if his challenge was somehow beaten.  
http://clik.to/astralprojectionI refuse to commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud. – Carl Jung

#8 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 06:11 PM

Several people have said that they hope the Yellow Bamboo group wins the challenge.  I'm wondering exactly what this means.  You believe that they are genuine and therefore deserve to win?  You hope, without evidence, that they are genuine so that they can win?  You hope that they win, even if they have no genuine powers?
What Would Batman Do?

#9 Bangin

Bangin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 06:38 PM

Gregory, I believe there are genuine claims of paranormal abilities.  I think it's safe to say that a group or person with no genuine powers will not win the million dollar challenge.  The article mentions that a Yellow Bamboo group member, knocked a man down without ever making physical contact.  If this is true, then I'd say he is an appropriate 'claimant' for the million dollars.  Of course I wouldn't want a fraud to win the money, but I do have hope that a person with extraordinary capabilities walks away with that money someday!
First voice: "Where is he...around here?"Second voice: "He's dead."First voice: "Ah, he could be anywhere then."

#10 chesta

chesta

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 08:30 AM

Several people have said that they hope the Yellow Bamboo group wins the challenge.  I'm wondering exactly what this means.  You believe that they are genuine and therefore deserve to win?  You hope, without evidence, that they are genuine so that they can win?  You hope that they win, even if they have no genuine powers?

I certainly would only want them to win if they were geniune.  I don't know if they are genuine or if they deserve to win but if they are for real then I would like to see it happen but I question if they will have a fair test.

By the way are they going to be tested for the million anytime soon?    
http://clik.to/astralprojectionI refuse to commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud. – Carl Jung

#11 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 09:34 AM

Randi doesn't say when he's going to test the Yellow Bamboo group; I don't think a date has been set.

Of course, I didn't seriously expect anyone to say that they would want a fraud to win the million. I only asked because I thought the attitude expressed on this board was a little odd; you hear about a claim that, if true, could revolutionize science, and your first thoughts seem to all run along the lines of, "Take that, Randi!" Just my impression.
What Would Batman Do?

#12 Bangin

Bangin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 10:41 AM

Gregory, I am a believer and I have an "I'll wait for science to catch up" attitude.  At the same time, I'd love for cynical skeptics, especially Randi, to be proven wrong. Heck, I am only human and probably suffer from the "I hate to say it, but I told you so" syndrome. Of course these claims, if proven true, could revolutionize science.  I am in complete support of that because it will open a whole new door in our journey for the truth.  I will continue my personal search, with or without the scientific community.

In my opinion, the nature of your posts seem to suggest that some of us are very foolish...This is just an observation of mine, which maybe wrong.  I believe the problem exists within those kind of suggestions.  We've been the underdogs for so long and the title 'cuckoo' has been attached to those of us that believe in 'myths'.  I have my beliefs and the next guy has his beliefs.  I will not call him a fool because his beliefs do not run parallel to mine...I expect the same in return.  

I understand this may not be a problem of yours and you've done a fine job at delivering your questions in a respectful manner...Unfortunately, I would expect to be called a f'in nutcase from someoneelse.

"What we need here is a little solidarity."-Mister Pink

#13 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 01:05 PM

Gregory, I am a believer and I have an "I'll wait for science to catch up" attitude.

I've heard this before.  On the one hand, I agree that you're not obliged to try to get your beliefs accepted by the main-stream scientific community.  But if the believes don't fight for the acceptance of the paranormal, I don't see how you can expect science to "catch up."

At the same time, I'd love for cynical skeptics, especially Randi, to be proven wrong. Heck, I am only human and probably suffer from the "I hate to say it, but I told you so" syndrome.

I'm not blaming you for this; there are a number of people about whome I feel much the same way.  What I was trying to point out (in my ineptly round-about way) was that to my mind, someone who can knock over another person with his mind is far more interesting than the thought of Randi forking over the million, where-as some posters seemed interested in the former only as a means to the latter.  I appologize if I read something into your posts that wasn't there.

In my opinion, the nature of your posts seem to suggest that some of us are very foolish.

Oh dear...

I certainly never intended to give that impression.  Although I disagree with many of the things I read here, I do not believe that you, or anyone I have conversed with on this board, is foolish (much less a "f'n nutcase").

I have my beliefs and the next guy has his beliefs.  I will not call him a fool because his beliefs do not run parallel to mine...I expect the same in return.

I agree entirely.
What Would Batman Do?

#14 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 01 October 2003 - 01:11 PM

Of course, I didn't seriously expect anyone to say that they would want a fraud to win the million. I only asked because I thought the attitude expressed on this board was a little odd; you hear about a claim that, if true, could revolutionize science, and your first thoughts seem to all run along the lines of, "Take that, Randi!" Just my impression.

Gregory,

The last line of your last post is indicitive of the remarks made about hoping the money is won. Its an objective remark made based on mood ( impression) and is presented as a general mood amongst the posters. It is not evident that the remarks were made as statement of fact but rather as a feeling about the outcome of the test.

My quote says it all for me about the challenge :

" Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."

My feelings about Mr James are a moot point . The money will be won or not. Its that simple .  :)

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users