37 replies to this topic

#1 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 09 June 2003 - 06:09 AM

I want to thank James Randi for giving me permission to post these photos from his website.  He is asking for opinions on the attached photos.

From Mr. Randi's site  http://www.randi.org/jr/060603.html

We show you here a set of spooky photographs sent us by a reader, and ask you to submit explanations for the strange images you see...

James Randi's email address: randi@randi.org

How about it Ghostvillagers?  Do you have an opinion about the photos?    ;)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#2 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 09 June 2003 - 06:29 PM

Well , Flying .

My take on these photos was that they were taken in a room with low lighting ,obviously. The shutter speed was too slow and the film speed too high. This photographic phenomen ( produced either accidentally or intentionaly) typically produces a tracer affect which is present in the photos attached to this post. The light almost bleeds ( for lack of a more technical term) from any lighting source ( notice each streak eminates from some form of light in the room ) and the photos are typically blured a bit . The slower the shutter speed the greater the need for camera stability no matter what speed film you are using.

Rockhauler2k1

P.S.  No its not Santa Virginia   lol    ;D
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#3 hoppip

hoppip

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 07:12 PM

??? ??? ???

I dont know what to say about these photos.  Looks wierd.  

#4 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:21 AM

I have to agree with Ron 100%!  These are either obvious fakes or really ignorant people taking the pics.  I wouldn't consider these any evidence of the paranormal at all.  These are a circus attraction!

Flying...I would ask that you also send him some of our best photos and have him explain them.  I would be curious as to what he sees in them. ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:38 AM

Folks, if you had a slow shutter speed wouldn't everything in the picture be streaked in the same pattern and not just the light sources? Especially considering how drastic the patterns on two of them are?
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#6 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:01 PM

I do realise that...if they were faked (as is my opinion) the people are posing.  I have known some people that are very good at remaining motionless for quite long periods of time.  Remember Shields and Yarnell?   I also am very leary of photos that come from him as I have seen many of the documentaries on him and he actually goes out and hires people to produce photos like these and create bogus videos, etc. just to say that we all do it.  He doesn't take into account that there are real people taking legitamate pics with no doctoring or theatrics involved and coming up with real results.  Of course these are simply my opinions on this subject.  I would still love to hear what he has to say about some of ours! ;D

#7 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 03:46 PM

Hi All,

KRC, use the link to James Randi and send him some Photos.  I have found him extremely responsive and helpful. I would like to know what he sees in some of our pics too!  :o

[move]COME ON VILLAGERS>>WHAT DO YOU THINK??[/move]
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#8 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 10 June 2003 - 07:01 PM

Jeff,

you have a point to some degree but the light seems to react much more drasticly , more so than the entire image itself with slower shutter speeds .

I have performed this illusion intentionally while talking photos of the Baltimore City skyline some 15 years ago from Federal Hill , overlooking the Harbor.  

I used glare reduction filters to cut down on the blurring effect caused by the slow shutter speed. The image itself was clear as a bell but the lighting was streaked and eminated from every light within the image. It was indeed quite beautiful. I took both black and white and color shots. The black and white for contrast purposes. They were equally beautiful.

The photos in question are a bit blurred , more than likely due to the photographer holding the camera in his slightly shaking hand . Even subtle movement during the time the shutter is open can cause the light blurr effect .

Rockhauler2k1

P.S.  I dont think the photos were faked intentionally , its more a case of mistaken interpretation.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#9 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 03:35 AM

You make some wonderful points Ron...the only reason that I am so skeptical and think that they are intentionally faked is due to their source.  If they came from any other...I would probably agree 100% and not so readily think of them as intentional fakes. ;D

Ok Dennis...I sent Mr. Randi 6 pictures to evaluate.  I sent him some of my own so that I can control knowing every step of the picture's "life" from taking to developing to posting here.  I also made an invitation for him to come to GV and check things out here.  I will keep you informed of the results of his viewing my pics. ;D

#10 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:55 AM

Hi All,

KRC, I don't think Randi faked these specific photos.  I believe they were sent to him and he posted them to make an educational point.  I have seen many similar pics posted on the net.  I am glad you sent him your pics, please let us know if you get any response.  This should be fun!!! ;D

#11 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:50 AM

flying...I'm sorry...I don't mean to be "standoffish" about the amazing Randi but knowing that he does finance the production of things like this I can't keep my flag from reaching the top of the pole.  You are right...he may very well not have had these particular ones produced.

It will however...be very interesting to see first of all if I get a response from him and second what that response would be. ;D

#12 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 02:06 PM

Hey KRC,

I'll bet dollars to donuts that his response will be something like "this can be easily created" or "this is like looking at tea leaves, if you look hard enough you will always see something". He said something similar (can't remember the exact words) about some pics I sent him.  (without explaining how they could have been created *snicker*)

To be fair though, I suspect he is bombarded constantly by phony photos from charlatans and needs to keep his guard up.  Maybe too much.... ;)

#13 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 02:13 PM

flying...I'm sorry...I don't mean to be "standoffish" about the amazing Randi but knowing that he does finance the production of things like this I can't keep my flag from reaching the top of the pole.  You are right...he may very well not have had these particular ones produced.

Oh, KRC,
I respect your opinion and  I know what you ment.  Besides the Amazing Randy is a VERY controversial person and you are simply sharing your thoughts.  Thats what we are here for.   ;)

#14 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:41 PM

Hey guys, why not get the ball rolling right now?  

Randi's website has an active forum on the paranormal -why not post your pics there now and invite opinions?

Also, question (and a suggestion):

How credible do you really find Randi to be in analyzing photos?  I sense from some comments that he's not held in high regard.  If that is the case, then what is the point in engaging him?  Does it have more to do with the fact that he's "controversial" and less to do with any meaningful dialogue to discover the truth?  You couldn't get more extreme than Randi in terms of the paranormal/skeptic spectrum (although I do respect and enjoy some of his works and his books are in my library--along with my ghost books, of course).  Feel like I'm in the Gaza Strip here  ;)

Just seems pointless to engage in a debate with someone whom you don't respect anyway, unless you're looking to bolster your own paranormal claims with negative comments from someone who isn't respected in the community (like good advertising--"Randi looked at his stuff and said it's bogus, so it must be a ghost")

I suspect that whatever result you get with Randi--even if you get no response at all--would be a self-fulfilling prophecy.  So, might I suggest that instead of nominating a personality that people here already do not find credible, find another <ahem> "skeptic" to participate.  

Here are some good places to start looking:

http://www.csicop.org/

http://www.skepticplanet.com/
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#15 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE- Feel like I'm in the Gaza Strip here-QUOTE

Hi Camille,

Glad you stopped in.  I promise this is a "ceasefire" zone so you are safe from anyone bombing you!  <runs to Camille waving an Israeli flag to signal IAF planes flying overhead, then starts to worry about Hamas snipers>  *snicker*  

I think many people (myself included) respect Randi, but are disappointed by what sometimes seems to be a closed minded approach to the paranormal.  He is an experienced, intelligent and fascinating man.  I have to admire someone smart enough to expose all the fakes that he has.  That being said, he is perceived by many as a closed minded debunker.  The verdict is still out from my point of view.  Problem is that he doesn't know the credability of those that submit pics to him and I believe that he errs on the side of caution to preserve his own credability (and the million).

Hey Camille great suggestion about posting on Randi's board, I love it!  Thanks for sharing the links too.  The sites definately worth the look.   ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users