shamanism for atheists

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:16 AM

Our guides do warn us, if there is something that we really shouldn't be messing with, we get the warning signs, through some "gut instincts," others through emotions like unexplainable fear, bad vibes, and so on.

I was taking a short-cut through a forested park and a thought in my head said "Get out of here NOW." I walked straight and steady to my house and realized that I had been saving time at the risk of my personal safety. As to whether the danger was from beings on one side or the other of the veil, I didn't ask. I just got out of there, respecting the feeling sent to me.

I do appreciate Freda, although I haven't tried yet to start any dialogue with her. I am enjoying my research into Heathenism, but so much of what is written is either reconstructed from slender threads of information left from the old beliefs (of which there were many variants anyway) or new belief systems.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#17 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:36 AM

Carlotta,

That is the problem for reconstructionist, trying to tie the little of the old that is known and insights that modern people have is a balancing act that will take a few generations to work out. Keep digging, with each piece of knowledge you gleen its that much closer to the place that's best for you.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#18 Seņor Hugo

Seņor Hugo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:32 AM

Well what I meant with the whole "God works in mysterious ways, while Thor tends to get physical and hit things" was that God does things really on the downlow, so you're left wondering. While Thor is more direct about things, if you need help, you'll know when he's playing a part. He's always up for showing how strong he is etc. That kind of thing.

I know a lot of heathens who would disagree with that kind of thinking, even though many of the tales seem to show him as that kind of a character.

I think the most important thing to remember is that it's not about what gods you pray to or look to help from, it's your relationship with that god or gods which determines how strong of a bond you have, and how much protection you will receive from them.

Well Thor has always been the protector of men and Asgard, showing his strength to those who doubt him(not saying that if you doubt him this instant he'll clobber you, but if you're taking part in a norse ritual and think things like "oh this is total crap, these people are nuts" and that sort of things. Then he'll get you.) , protecting those who need it. It's what he does.

As a side note, whats the point in calling oneself and others "heathens" instead of pagan? Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as more of an insult than anything else.
"I am the bridge between worlds. I have experienced life, I have experienced death, others and my own. I am a shaman."

#19 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:54 AM

As a side note, whats the point in calling oneself and others "heathens" instead of pagan? Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as more of an insult than anything else.

I think that 'heathen' has been used as an insult to those seen as godless or worshiping non-Christian deities. I think it's like calling someone a barbarian.

It's only an insult to those who don't know anything about heathenism. Reading what I have about it, I wouldn't be offended at all to be called a heathen. Just my personal view, though.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#20 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

I don't see why it should be more of an insult than 'pagan'. Either way, it once meant something equivalent to "hillbilly", just one was Latin and the other English.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#21 Seņor Hugo

Seņor Hugo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

I think that 'heathen' has been used as an insult to those seen as godless or worshiping non-Christian deities. I think it's like calling someone a barbarian.

It's only an insult to those who don't know anything about heathenism. Reading what I have about it, I wouldn't be offended at all to be called a heathen. Just my personal view, though.

Carlotta

I don't see why it should be more of an insult than 'pagan'. Either way, it once meant something equivalent to "hillbilly", just one was Latin and the other English.

Yep, silly me. It has essentially the same definition of pagan. I really need to quit posting when I'm half-asleep. :hug:

But yeah, I guess 'heathen' just sounds a bit more uncivilized than pagan. Guess thats just me though.
"I am the bridge between worlds. I have experienced life, I have experienced death, others and my own. I am a shaman."

#22 Seņor Hugo

Seņor Hugo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hm board wouldn't allow me to edit my message to add this oh well. Back on shamanism, Carlotta I would check out a series of books written by Carlos Castaneda.

His first book is called "The teachings of Don Juan; a Yaqui Way of Knowledge" it's all about shamanism, Carlos apprenticed under don Juan and the books are notes he took and conversations he recorded with him back in the 70's. It's a very awesome read so far.

There are about five to six books that I know of. I'm mid-way through the first.

#23 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

But yeah, I guess 'heathen' just sounds a bit more uncivilized than pagan. Guess thats just me though.

I think it's probably for the same reason bakeries and beauty parlors translate everything into French---some stuff just sounds better when you're only partway aware of the meaning. :hug:
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#24 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

Heathen comes from hǣth (heath in modern English) -- the countryside.
Pagan comes from pāgus -- village.

Both refer to people who did not live in the big cities. People in the country were more likely to hold to the old ways. As an example, you find more macumba (old black magick) in the Brazilian countryside than you do in the cities of São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#25 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

Though in more modern use, heathens tend to be reconstructionist and pagans are more eccletic.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users