• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#16 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

Carlin was awesome. One of the funniest people ever. He'll be missed.

#17 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

George Carlin was one of my absolute favorite comedians. He always made me think, and then laugh.

My favorite bits by him were football & baseball, 7 words you couldn't say on television, and any of his wildly funny anecdotes he threw in for good measure.

Last I heard, the Kennedy Center is still going to go ahead with the awards ceremony and award him posthumously. I am so glad that they're going to do that.

I miss Carlin!! :)
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#18 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

I hope he found a place for his stuff!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#19 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

Good one, Axman!

That was another great bit he did. ;)

The world is a much less funny place without George Carlin in it.
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#20 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Good one, Axman!

That was another great bit he did. :blush:

The world is a much less funny place without George Carlin in it.

That's my favorite Carlin routine. He was one of the innovators in the world of observation comedy. I enjoy comedy most when it reflects real life and makes me think, "Hey, that's true!"
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#21 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Larry Harmon, longtime Bozo the Clown, dead at 83

Larry Harmon wasn't the original Bozo the Clown, but he was the real one. Harmon, who portrayed the wing-haired clown for more than half a century, died Thursday of congestive heart failure, said his publicist, Jerry Digney. He was 83.

As an entrepreneur, Harmon licensed the character to others, particularly dozens of television stations around the country. The stations in turn hired actors to be their local Bozos.

"Bozo is a combination of the wonderful wisdom of the adult and the childlike ways in all of us," Harmon told The Associated Press in a 1996 interview.

Pinto Colvig, who provided the voice for Walt Disney's Goofy, was the first Bozo the Clown, a character created by writer-producer Alan W. Livingston for a series of children's records in 1946. Livingston said he came up with the name Bozo after polling several people at Capitol Records.

Harmon would later meet his alter ego while answering a casting call to make personal appearances as a clown to promote the records.

He got that job and eventually bought the rights to Bozo. Along the way, he embellished Bozo's distinctive look: the orange-tufted hair, the bulbous nose, the outlandish red, white and blue costume.

"You might say, in a way, I was cloning BTC (Bozo the Clown) before anybody else out there got around to cloning DNA," Harmon said in the 1996 interview. "I felt if I could plant my size 83AAA shoes on this planet, (people) would never be able to forget those footprints."

Susan Harmon, his wife of 29 years, indicated Harmon was the perfect fit for Bozo.

"He was the most optimistic man I ever met. He always saw a bright side; he always had something good to say about everybody. He was the love of my life," she said Thursday.

The business combining animation, licensing of the character and personal appearances made millions, as Harmon trained more than 200 Bozos over the years to represent him in local markets.

"I'm looking for that sparkle in the eyes, that emotion, feeling, directness, warmth. That is so important," he said of his criteria for becoming a Bozo.

The Chicago version of Bozo ran on WGN-TV in Chicago for 40 years and was seen in many other cities after cable television transformed WGN into a superstation.

Bozo portrayed in Chicago for many years by Bob Bell was so popular that the waiting list for tickets to a TV show eventually stretched to a decade, prompting the station to stop taking reservations for 10 years. On the day in 1990 when WGN started taking reservations again, it took just five hours to book the show for five more years. The phone company reported more than 27 million phone call attempts had been made.

By the time the show bowed out in Chicago, in 2001, it was the last locally produced version. Harmon said at the time that he hoped to develop a new cable or network show, as well as a Bozo feature film.

He became caught up in a minor controversy in 2004 when the International Clown Hall of Fame in Milwaukee took down a plaque honoring him as Bozo and formally endorsed Colvig as the first. Harmon denied ever misrepresenting Bozo's history.

He said he was claiming credit only for what he added to the character "What I sound like, what I look like, what I walk like" and what he did to popularize Bozo.

"Isn't it a shame the credit that was given to me for the work I have done, they arbitrarily take it down, like I didn't do anything for the last 52 years," he told the AP at the time.

Harmon protected Bozo's reputation with a vengeance, while embracing those who poked good-natured fun at the clown.

As Bozo's influence spread through popular culture, his very name became a synonym for clownish behavior.

"It takes a lot of effort and energy to keep a character that old fresh so kids today still know about him and want to buy the products," Karen Raugust, executive editor of The Licensing Letter, a New York-based trade publication, said in 1996.

A normal character runs its course in three to five years, Raugust said. "Harmon's is a classic character. It's been around 50 years."

On New Year's Day 1996, Harmon dressed up as Bozo for the first time in 10 years, appearing in the Rose Parade in Pasadena.

The crowd reaction, he recalled, "was deafening."

"They kept yelling, `Bozo, Bozo, love you, love you.' I shed more crocodile tears for five miles in four hours than I realized I had," he said. "I still get goose bumps."

Born in Toledo, Ohio, Harmon became interested in theater while studying at the University of Southern California.

"Bozo is a star, an entertainer, bigger than life," Harmon once said. "People see him as Mr. Bozo, somebody you can relate to, touch and laugh with."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know...this is just screaming for the "Chuckles The Clown" parallel, from the 'Mary Tyler Moore' show...

"...a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants..."

Alright, I'm sorry...but it's the first thing I thought about when I read the news...
Beannacht ort

#22 Ambra

Ambra

Should not travel without a map

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, of course, reading, arts and crafts, particularly cross-stitch, movies.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

I had the pleasure and the privaledge of seeing George Carlin perform live several years ago when he made a stop at Radford University. I had front row seats and he gave a great performance. He'll definitely be missed.
I got smacked by aloha spirit!Posted Image

#23 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

Estelle Getty passed away early this morning. She was everyone's favorite Golden Girl I think.

http://estellegetty.com/index2.html

Posted Image
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#24 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:46 AM

That makes me sad. I love the Golden Girls and still watch it every day on Lifetime. But she had Alzheimer's and that is a devastating illness. I have read where she was showing signs of memory loss towards the end of the series, and had a hard time with her lines sometimes.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

So incredibly sad, I still watch that show too...she'll be missed and forever be remembered fondly as Sophia.
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#26 jenjen

jenjen

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

The character Sophia is hilarious and Estelle Getty's comedic timing was amazing to be able to pull it off. I've only seen reruns of course.

#27 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

I enjoyed the show and Sophia was the comic relief for the whole show. My favorite on the show is Betty White, I find her a fascinating lady.

RIP Estelle.

#28 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

Bernie Mac passed away last night due to complication from pneumonia.
That was a shock to here. He was soo funny, I loved his type of comedy.
RIP...Bernie
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#29 Ambra

Ambra

Should not travel without a map

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, of course, reading, arts and crafts, particularly cross-stitch, movies.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

I was shocked also to hear of Bernie Mac's passing. There had been something on one of the entertainment shows about him being in the hospital and in serious condition but they said he was improving. I loved his show on Fox and his role in the "Oceans" movies.
I got smacked by aloha spirit!Posted Image

#30 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

Rest in Peace Bernie. You will be missed.

Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users