231 replies to this topic

#166 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,368 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:15 AM

Leslie Nielsen will truely be missed. Funny thing is I was just talking about the movie Airplane! the day before he died.
"Good luck...we're all counting on you"
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#167 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Don Meredith, the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback who served as a folksy foil for Howard Cosell on ABC's ``Monday Night Football'' and helped carve out the niche for colorful ex-athlete broadcasters, has died. ``Dandy Don,'' as he was known, was 72.

Meredith's wife, Susan, told The Associated Press her husband died Sunday in Santa Fe after suffering a brain hemorrhage and lapsing into a coma. She and her daughter were at Meredith's side when he died.

``He was the best there was,'' she said Monday, describing him as kind, warm and funny. ``We lost a good one.''

Meredith played for the Cowboys from 1960-1968, becoming the starting quarterback in 1965.

While he never took the Cowboys to the Super Bowl, Meredith was one of the franchise's first stars. He led the Cowboys to three straight division titles and to consecutive NFL Championship games in 1966 and 1967, where they lost both games to eventual champion Green Bay.

``Don Meredith was one of the most colorful characters in NFL history. He was star on the field who became an even bigger star on television,'' NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. ``He brought joy to football fans, from his play in historic NFL games like the Ice Bowl to his great personality that helped launch the success of Monday Night Football.''

Over his nine-year career, Meredith threw for 17,199 yards and 111 touchdowns. He retired unexpectedly before the 1969 season and just two years later joined Keith Jackson and Cosell in the broadcast booth as part of the ``Monday Night Football'' crew.

He quickly became one of the most popular broadcasters in sports with a homespun humor that played off Cosell in particular. Meredith's signature call was singing the famous Willie Nelson song ``Turn Out the Lights'' when it appeared a game's outcome had been determined.

Meredith left ABC after the 1973 season for a three-year stint at NBC. He returned to the ``MNF'' crew in 1977 before retiring in 1984, one year after Cosell left the team.

Meredith was one of the first athletes to make the transition from the field to color analyst and the move to calling ``Monday Night Football'' was an easy one for him. He was part of many memorable moments on ABC's landmark hit.

In 1970, Meredith was in the booth for the St. Louis Cardinals' 38-0 whitewashing of his former team. The Cotton Bowl crowd late in the game began chanting ``We want Meredith!''

Meredith quipped, ``No way you're getting me down there.''

Another famous Meredith moment occurred in 1972 at the Houston Astrodome. The Oakland Raiders were in the process of beating the Houston Oilers 34-0. A cameraman had a shot of a disgruntled Oilers fan, who then made an obscene gesture.

Said Meredith: ``He thinks they're No. 1 in the nation.''

``Don Meredith was a Dallas Cowboys original. His wit, charm, and strength of personality were matched only by his wonderful leadership, toughness and athletic skill,'' Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a statement. ``Throughout 50 years of history, the Cowboys legacy has been built by dynamic and colorful personalities who could also compete at the highest level. No one fit that description better than Don Meredith.''

Born April 10, 1938, Meredith was born and raised in Mount Vernon, Texas, about 100 miles east of Dallas. He never played a home game outside of North Texas.

Meredith was a three-year at quarterback for SMU and an All-America selection in 1958 and 1959. He was drafted in the third round by the Chicago Bears in 1960 and traded to the expansion Cowboys franchise for future draft picks.

Meredith shared time under center with Eddie LeBaron before winning the starting job in 1965 and the following year guided the Cowboys to their first winning season (10-3-1). He was named NFL Player of the Year after throwing a career-high 24 touchdown passes and 2,805 yards.

Meredith was one of nine Dallas players selected to the Pro Bowl that year - the first of his two Pro Bowl years.

Although Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman made the Cowboys' quarterback job synonymous with greatness, both credit Meredith for launching that tradition.

``He did it without as much help as some of the other guys had,'' said Lee Roy Jordan, a former Cowboys linebacker. ``Our offensive line was not very good early on. He got beat up pretty bad - broken noses and collarbones and ribs, everything you can think of, Don had it. But he was one tough individual. He played with many an ailment and injury, and was very, very competitive. He and Bob Hayes really set the standard for the wide-open offense, the motion guys and big plays.''

Meredith's last moment in a Cowboys uniform was painful. He threw three interceptions in a 1968 playoff game against the Cleveland Browns and was pulled in favor of Craig Morton.

``I tried to talk him out of it,'' Dallas coach Tom Landry said after Meredith announced his retirement. ``But when you lose your desire in this game, that's it.''

In addition to his broadcasting career, Meredith appeared in several TV shows and movies after his playing career ended. He had a recurring role in ``Police Story'' and was a spokesman for Lipton teas. Meredith and Don Perkins were the second and third players inducted to Cowboys Ring of Honor in 1976.

Susan Meredith said a private graveside service was planned.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#168 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

ELIZABETH EDWARDS~
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Elizabeth Edwards, who closely advised her husband in two bids for the presidency and advocated for health care even as her own health and marriage publicly crumbled, died Tuesday after a six-year struggle with cancer. She was 61.

She died at her North Carolina home surrounded by her three children, siblings, friends and her estranged husband, John, the family said.

"Today we have lost the comfort of Elizabeth's presence but, she remains the heart of this family," the family said in a statement. "We love her and will never know anyone more inspiring or full of life. On behalf of Elizabeth we want to express our gratitude to the thousands of kindred spirits who moved and inspired her along the way. Your support and prayers touched our entire family."

She was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004, in the final days of her husband's vice presidential campaign. The Democratic John Kerry-John Edwards ticket lost to incumbent President George W. Bush.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#169 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

We lost R&B Singer Teena Marie. She passed at Age 54.

http://www.ktla.com/...,0,788895.story
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#170 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

RIP to all the wonderful beings who have passed on to another life in 2010. RIP my little stella kitty 8/2000-2/2/2010.
Love life.

#171 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Singer Gerry Rafferty has died at age 63.

http://today.msnbc.m...3944/?GT1=43001

#172 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

British actress Susannah York, one of the most memorable film faces of the 1960s, has died from cancer at age 72, British media reported late on Saturday.

York was best known for her role opposite Jane Fonda in the 1969 film "They Shoot Horses Don't They?" for which she was nominated for an Oscar.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41095778

#173 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

R. Sargent Shriver dies at 95.
'unmatched' public servant and Kennedy in-law

http://www.latimes.c...0,1067131.story

#174 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Jack LaLanne Dies at Age 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died of respiratory failure from pneumonia Sunday in his home in Morro Bay, California at the age of 96.

LaLanne opened what was believed to be the nation’s first health club in Oakland in 1936. In the 1950s, the exercise and nutrition expert began a fitness TV program called The Jack LaLanne Show.

He also invented numerous exercise machines, including the original model of what became the Smith machine. He also wrote fitness books and sold supplements and health food.

"He laid the groundwork for others to have exercise programs, and now it has bloomed from that black and white program into a very colorful enterprise," Arnold Schwarzenegger said in 1990, CBS Sports reports.

http://thecelebrityc...e-96-01-26-2011

#175 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Gary Moore the Thin Lizzy guitarist died in the early hours of Sunday morning on the 6th of February 2011. He died aged 58. RIP, the legend still lives on.
Posted Image

#176 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

Kenneth Mars, character Actor, passes at age 75.

Hollywood has lost another wonderfully colorful supporting player: the always-enjoyable Kenneth Mars, veteran of dozens of films (most notably by Mel Brooks and Woody Allen) has passed away at the age of 75 after a battle with cancer.

http://blog.moviefon...neth-mars-dead/

Edited by Cryscat, 14 February 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#177 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

1940s sex symbol Jane Russell dies at 89

Voloptuous actress Jane Russell, one of the best-known sex symbols of the 1940s and 1950s, has died at age 89.

Russell's daughter-in-law Etta Waterfield says the actress died Monday at her home in Santa Maria, Calif. of a respiratory-related illness.

http://today.msnbc.m...-entertainment/

#178 Fly_By_Night

Fly_By_Night

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Flying, reading, and outdoor activities, such as camping, etc.<br />I'm also starting a collection of &quot;true&quot; ghost stories throughout the years.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

I know I have fellow astronomy enthusiasts on this site, and we've all lost a friend:

Leif J Robinson, long-time editor of Sky & Telescope magazine, age 71.

http://www.skyandtel.../117072938.html

R.I.P. Leif,
and Clear Skies.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."-Marcus Aurelius

#179 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

David S. Broder, 81, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for The Washington Post and one of the most respected writers on national politics for four decades, died Wednesday at Capital Hospice in Arlington of complications from diabetes.

http://www.washingto...ml?hpid=topnews

#180 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

Mike Starr, former bassist for Alice in Chains, died Tuesday. He battled drug addiction for some time now, and while official autopsy reports aren't in yet, looks like he succumbed to his illness. What a shame - he was a very gifted performer.
http://www.nydailyne...icemail_ho.html
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users