• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Seņor Hugo

Seņor Hugo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:39 AM

When you think of the Nintendo DS, the thought of ghost hunting doesn't come immediatly to mind.

However, the Nintendo DS has shown an amazing knack for being able to use 3rd party applications, since it uses an R4 for it's game cartridges. People have been able to turn their DS into a mp3 player, a phone, and use their DS to watch movies and run other applications. It's highly versatile.

So with Guitar Hero having just been released for the DS which uses a add-on to allow for the guitar like feel.

Would it be possible to turn the DS into a EMF meter with digital readout, or other things like a digital thermometer.

I've been thinking about this for a while, for an EMF meter, you would just need to adapt something to pick up those fields to hook to the DS while using a program located on the R4 within the DS to display the current readout.

It may be easier and cheaper to just get an EMF meter or digital thermometer, the reason I thought of the DS was because of it being highly versatile. With a couple of add-on applications, you could potentially have a EMF meter, a digital thermometer, and a digital audio recorder.
"I am the bridge between worlds. I have experienced life, I have experienced death, others and my own. I am a shaman."

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

I would say it could be done, however i see a couple problems. first the DS uses a relatively slow processor (although it does use 2 of them) These may be great for display since graphics is one of the requirements for a game system, but in doing so it would be a lacking in the data processing end of things. Not to say it wouldn't work, only that it likely would be advantageous to instead use a computer which does have more in the data handling side of things.

Second I don't know how well shielded the game syatem is to outside influences. Equipmenta s you describe does have to take that into consideration, using a game system leaves that factor an unknown. Maybe it is shielded satisfactorily, we just don't know without getting a technical manual and going over it. But I daresay the level of shielding for a game system would not be as high of a requirement as it would be on an instrument intended to measure such fields.

#3 Ath

Ath

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

I would say it could be done, however i see a couple problems. first the DS uses a relatively slow processor (although it does use 2 of them) These may be great for display since graphics is one of the requirements for a game system, but in doing so it would be a lacking in the data processing end of things. Not to say it wouldn't work, only that it likely would be advantageous to instead use a computer which does have more in the data handling side of things.

Second I don't know how well shielded the game syatem is to outside influences. Equipmenta s you describe does have to take that into consideration, using a game system leaves that factor an unknown. Maybe it is shielded satisfactorily, we just don't know without getting a technical manual and going over it. But I daresay the level of shielding for a game system would not be as high of a requirement as it would be on an instrument intended to measure such fields.

Yes it -could- work very well, the NDS has also been used to help tune performance of cars, via an interface with cars computers from memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users