• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Christiano

Christiano

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

Spiritism is the secong religion (although some Spiritists claim it's a phylosophy, it's considered a religion in Brazil, being even included in this category by the national government agency responsible for the Census) with the largest number of followers in Brazil, after Roman Catholicism. Many Catholics here even believe in some of the Spiritist principles, like reincarnation, spiritual surgeries, channelling. Chico Xavier was the most famous spiritists in Brazil. He allegedly channelled hundreds of books from spirits, especially from Emmanuel, who was his supposed spiritual guide. Many people went to his house in Uberaba, Minas Gerais, to ask him to channel messages from deceased relatives to know if they were happy in the afterlife. The spiritist doctrine was systemized by French educator Hypolite Léon Denizard Rivail under the pseudonym Allan Kardec in five books: The Spirits' Book; The Book on Mediums; The Gospel According to Spiritism; Heaven and Hell; The Genesis According to Spiritism.

There's an article about this religion on Wikipedia. Although Spiritism is not very well known in the US, I've found a website of a Spiritist organization from Baltimore.

What do you guys think about all this?

Edited by Christiano, 26 July 2008 - 08:50 AM.

#2 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link to the website?

Welcome to the Village,
Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#3 Christiano

Christiano

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

Thanx.

The link to the Spiritist Society of Baltimore is http://www.ssbaltimore.org/

There's also a Spiritist Society in San Diego. Their link is: http://www.sssandiego.org/

#4 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

It sounds very interesting Christiano and I'll check out the links you provided. Welcome to the Village btw!

Whatever

#5 Indigo Chyld

Indigo Chyld

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:55 AM

Before checking out your links, which I am going to check out :clap: , just by what you have said it sounds a lot like, if not the same thing, as spiritualism. The problem with the word spiritualism (spiritualists) is it is used as a general term and as a spiritual path. If it is the same as spiritualism there was a surge of spiritualists in the victorian time frame and continues to this day but is really not well known. There are a number of spiritualists churches around in the US though. I know of three in Massachusetts alone and there is a large spiritualist group in Florida. I am going to check out Chico Xavier now, sounds very interesting!
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey.”Stephen R. Covey

#6 FAYTE

FAYTE

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:LEXIGRAMMING, SPIRIT PORTRAITS

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:07 AM

Being myself a Spiritist/Humanist minister and researcher, I assure you, SPIRITISM is NOT the same thing as SPIRITUALISM!

The groups calling themselves Spiritist who are treating it like a religion, even imbuing their Christian ideas into their idea of it...are in my personal experience not true Spiritists.

#7 Indigo Chyld

Indigo Chyld

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:15 AM

Being myself a Spiritist/Humanist minister and researcher, I assure you, SPIRITISM is NOT the same thing as SPIRITUALISM!

The groups calling themselves Spiritist who are treating it like a religion, even imbuing their Christian ideas into their idea of it...are in my personal experience not true Spiritists.

I don't even understand the second part of your comment. But either way I gave my opinion you can bark yours all you want. Just don't forget opinions aren't facts :Spaz:
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey.”Stephen R. Covey

#8 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

Christiano was talking about a group which in Portuguese-speaking countries are known as Espírita (Espírito means spirit). I talked with many Espíritas in Brazil, but never found an English translation I cared for until I found this thread. Fayte, in Portuguese, I'd call you an Espíritista, and Spiritualists Espíritualistas. I'd expect to find Espíritas in Miami, New York, and New Jersey - places with a large Brazilian population. I guess they chose to identify themselves as Spiritists in English.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users