5 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostride

Ghostride

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Figuring out the paranormal

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:41 PM

What is the theory behind this? As far as getting the "chills" when a spirit is around. I get confused because people say they get chills when someone else tells a "ghost story." Then again I get chills when my lady lightly touches me. Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thank you!
If we can see our own reflection in the mirror, then what does a ghost see when they appear?

#2 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:52 PM

Are you referring to cold spots? The theory behind a cold spot is that, in order to manifest itself, a spirit pulls energy from the surrounding area. The area where the energy is being drained, where the spirit is manifesting, then feels cold to us then. As far as getting chills, you are right, various things cause this feeling, such as a light touch on the arm that stimulates sensitive nerve enidngs there. When I had contact with a spirit last spring, it felt as though fingers were brushing upwards on my face, and then my face felt hot for several hours - no chills for me. Also, there was a cold spot very close to me when I felt that touch.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#3 Ghostride

Ghostride

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

Well how about when someone tells a story about an encounter and one gets the chills?
If we can see our own reflection in the mirror, then what does a ghost see when they appear?

#4 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:50 PM

This is a little bit from Medicine.net . . .

Why humans ever came to need goosebumps is uncertain. Some biologists believe that goosebumps evolved as part of the fight-or-flight reaction along with heart rate increases that send the heart racing while blood rushes to the muscles to give them additional oxygen.

A similar phenomenon, bristling, in fur-covered animals may have made them look larger and more frightening and kept them warmer by increasing the amount of air between hairs which traps body heat. But in people there seems to be no practical purpose for goosebumps except, of course, to make our skin crawl!

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#5 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

Well how about when someone tells a story about an encounter and one gets the chills?

Are your chills like goosebumps? It is just a neurological response. Goosebumps happen from being cold or fear. It is an automatic response from the nerves that contract the muscles and raise up the area of the hair follicles.. Everytime I tell someone about my ghost experiences, I get goosebumps... I also experience from others stories the "chills" that are goosebumps and just a whole chilling feeling through my body.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#6 Ghostride

Ghostride

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:53 PM

I can understand what your saying Ghostcat. Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users