• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 inaspin2

inaspin2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 07:54 AM

I've just finished reading Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. Quite a gruesome novel! I understand there's a movie too. Has anyone seen it and if so how does it match up to the book?
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers you will unfold. What are you waiting for? Spread your wings and soar-Christina Aguilera

#2 SpectralSpy

SpectralSpy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 06:29 PM

I haven't read the book yet,but I saw the movie.I thought the movie was decent,but not overwhelmingly great.It did have a couple of scarey as well as humorous moments.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.It is the source of all true art and science.He to whom this emotion is a stranger,who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,is as good as dead-His eyes are closed."Albert Einstein

#3 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 07:43 PM

I saw the movie but I didn't read the book; however, my grandmother read the book and she said that the book was better than the movie.
You don't have to see it to believe it!

#4 s._maclennan

s._maclennan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 08:48 PM

The book alas is far better than the movie. I think that a lot of screenwriters have a difficult time re-writing his material for movies which is disappointing.

#5 inaspin2

inaspin2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 05:38 AM

Just intrigued how they've portrayed things in the movie because when you read a book you get a vision in your head of what the characters etc look like. I should imagine they've cut alot of the gore out too. Must see this movie now!
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers you will unfold. What are you waiting for? Spread your wings and soar-Christina Aguilera

#6 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:56 AM

I have also read the book but not seen the movie.  Usually with King (my favorite author, BTW) I don't bother watching the movies because they can't translate his writing onto the screen.  There's always too much gore/cussing/things that make you cringe when you read them.  If they translated most of his books to film the way they are written, they would get an NC-17 or X rating right away.

The only King movie I have ever liked was The Shining.  Oh yeah, and I guess Misery was pretty good too.
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#7 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:59 PM

It may not be as graphic, but it is VERY gorey. And yup, they coome out the way they do in the book.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#8 ghosthuntress16

ghosthuntress16

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:24 AM

Stephen King is my absolute FAVOURITE author in the entire world. Anyone ever met him?
Whats your favourite King novel? I like 'em all, but I'd have to say that "Rose Madder" was one of my favourites. It's quite chilling. I dont think I've ever read a King book that I haven't liked.
How about the short stories? I like "The Mist" best, and "The Rage" with him writing as Richard Bachman was an excellent novella, along with "The Running Man" and "The Long Walk". I could go on for years...
I dont have a favourite movie, I dont think. I recommend "The Green Mile" though, very good movie, and it actually stayed relatively close to the novel.
Believe as if your life depended on it, for indeed it does.

#9 Ghostmom

Ghostmom

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:03 AM

I read the book and liked it.But havent seen the movie.
Believe in the unknown.Its out there.

#10 Angel

Angel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:11 AM

OK..first of all..LOVE Stephen King..LOOOVVEEE HIM!!! I love the book Dreamcatcher..also saw the movie..now..the movie is ummm pretty close to the book as in the way it progresses (man events) plus the characters TOTALLY fit the descriptions in the book, all in all it's a good effort cause his books are hard to make into movies. My favorite book of his is maybe...Gerald's Game..anyone read it? [smiley=cwm15.gif]
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." Buddha (563BC-483BC )

#11 inaspin2

inaspin2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:32 AM

I've not read Gerald's Game no. My fav film is probably The Shining and It. That clown always gets to me.......

#12 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:18 PM

I've read "The Stand" about seven times. Three times with the unedited version. I loved the short stories. My favorite was "The Boogeyman".
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#13 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:29 PM

MykieDavie,

I love The Stand, own both verisions and will have to buy new copies soon, they're falling apart
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#14 Mullet

Mullet

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:11 PM

The book is allways better than the movie
and Dreamchater is one of the worst stephen king movies , it starts ok but then it just gets boring

#15 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:52 PM

I am a big Stephen King fan and I have to say that this time the book was much better then the movie.  But on an up note his new show looks like its going to be interesting.  Kingdom Hospital.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users