• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 Angel

Angel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 02:59 PM

[glow=yellow,2,200]Yea Kingdom Hospital looks like it'll be pretty good! Can't wait to get a look at it. As for the stand, I've read it (both) & love it, also The Shining was an excellent movie, the original is the best to me. Anyone see that newer version they made? Nice, but hey....that guy was no Jack Nicholson!  :)[/glow]
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." Buddha (563BC-483BC )

#17 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 04:58 PM

I'm a big Stephen King fan.  I especially like the Dark Tower novels, but I've read all of his stuff except for his most recent books and stories.  I think his best book might be Rose Madder, but The Shining and It are both up there.  I've never seen any movies based on his works; I here they are generally quite poor.
What Would Batman Do?

#18 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 02:38 AM

The Shinning and the book Misery was good.  I saw the shinning remake and I still like the first best. :)

#19 maharet

maharet

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 10:21 PM

Okay, this is random, but I watched "Dreamcatcher" this weekend. The first thing I noticed was the flashbacks to childhoos for the main characters was Derry, Maine. That's two King stories with childhoods in Derry.

I wonder if it's a real place.

#20 Ravenwood

Ravenwood

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 05:27 PM

I think Derry Maine is his creation.Like Castlerock.Try looking at www.StephenKing.com
Love 1st installment of "Kingdom Hospital".

#21 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:58 AM

I saw Dreamcatcher, like it okay, but was told by a friend that the story was too boring to continue (maybe that's why she left it on the airplane, lol). I personally really like his ability to portray young boys in the carefree days of youth. He's really got that sentimental nostalgia market cornered, huh? lol But I have always loved Stand By Me (Book and movie) and thought the Long Walk was verbally stunning. I would LOVE to see a movie of that! Tried to get into IT, but man...he is WAY too wordy sometimes, lol. Anyone read the those two book he wrote as Richard Baucman? Desperation...and that other one? lol And can ya explain it??

#22 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

No joke. I'd love for someone to explain those two books to me. Desperation and The Regulators. One by Stephen King and the other by his altar ego, Richard Bachman. They are both stunning (although I like Desperation the most). They both have pretty much the same characters in it, but with eerie differences that are hard to explain. The story lines seem to coincide as well, but again... I can't understand why they are significant to each other. Who knows.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#23 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:32 PM

they are similar stories written from the "other's" point of view...very odd, but you know even some of his wife's books take place in Castle Rock
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#24 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:39 PM

so is there no other connection between these two books other than the lose use of the same characters? I keep wanting to read something much deeper into it. I've read both of those books a half a dozen times... trying them out in different orders, thinking I'll catch something I didn't catch before. I think I'll be disappointed if there isn't a deeper meaning to it.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#25 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:20 PM

don't they all have a deeper meaning?  Who knows in his mind all roads may eventually lead to the Tower
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#26 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:47 PM

lol. No, because that would mean he'd actually have to GET to the tower sometime before he dies.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#27 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:23 PM

I can see it now: Part Twenty-three of the Trilogy.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#28 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:23 AM

I felt them movie was the biggest waste of my time.  I generally like Stephen King, but found the movie predictable and poorly done.
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#29 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:57 AM

Very few of his books translate well onto the screen.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#30 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:19 PM

I Agree alot of the books they don't do the movies very well, I love the books. But some of the movies were a waste it is sad but true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users