• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 Ravenwood

Ravenwood

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 04:28 PM

Not his fault though.They've messed him over before.The tower trillogy will end soon.He's finished it!

#32 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 05:12 PM

He never said the Tower books were going to be a trilogy, even in the beginning I believe he said he wasn't sure where/when it would end.  Has anyone read the newest Wolves of the Calla, I'm dying for it to come out in paperback
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#33 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:09 AM

Once I read his authors note that he likely wasn't going to ever finish the story (I think he calculated at the rate he was going he would be 128 before the guy ever reached the Tower), I flat-out stopped reading the series. There is nothing I hate more than to be left hanging. I got to the third book... and I'm actually mad at myself that I bothered with THAT much of it.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#34 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:11 PM

Okay, now ya'll are speaking my language! LOL  King is my fave!  I could go on and on about him!  He's partly responsible for inspiring me to write...or at least to take it seriously.  I have a picture of his house, my brother knew some people that were going to Bangor Maine and they were going to see if they could find it.  My brother asked them to take a pic for me.  

I love all of his books and short stories.  I do have some that are more faves thatn others, but overall I just like them all because I admire his style of writing and the "risks" he takes in writing.  Somedat I hope to be even a fraction as good and if someday he writes a blurb on my book about it "being the best" I could die content.
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#35 Sexyinlace

Sexyinlace

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:00 AM

I'm a BIG Stephen King fan. I've noticed that if Stephen King is not the screen play writer, then it's not as good as his books. He has a lot of movies out that were written by him. Rose Red is one of them, so is Kingdom Hospital. His new series coming out "Salem's Lot" looks good. The first movie on "Salem's Lot" Stephen King did not write the screen play and it was nothing like the book. Also, if you notice, the movies where he writes the screen play, he plays a bit part in them, like in "Rose Red", he played the pizza delievery boy in the beginning of the movie. So, if you want to see a Stephen King movie that follows the book, make sure he is the author of the screen play as well, if it says "based on a novel by Stephen King" he didn't write it.
[B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Listen so you might hear.

#36 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:01 AM

what's the deal on this salem's lot movie i've heard about? that's one of my favorite stephen king books(vampires ;D). i'm with the rest of you...most of the movie versions of his books are crap...except the shining! both the book and movie scared the hell out of me. christine was a great book yet an extraordinarily crappy movie. ditto with cujo.
i haven't read the tower series yet...how are those?
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#37 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:38 AM

Once I read his authors note that he likely wasn't going to ever finish the story (I think he calculated at the rate he was going he would be 128 before the guy ever reached the Tower), I flat-out stopped reading the series. There is nothing I hate more than to be left hanging. I got to the third book... and I'm actually mad at myself that I bothered with THAT much of it.

Ana

Not sure what you're talking about, but he's said that he plans to finish the series before he retires.  I think he's even announced when he's planning to have the remaining books out.
What Would Batman Do?

#38 Sexyinlace

Sexyinlace

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:31 PM

I believe he works on the "Dark Tower" series in between other novels. I just bought #4. I know that some of his novels start out boring, but if you can get threw the boring part it's well worth it. It seems before you know it, the time comes when you can't put the book down.
I always make sure the screen play is written by Stephen King, or I wont watch the movie. He's also my very favorite author. And, to think, he's close to my age too ............ LOL. I have a friend who is an English professor, he loves Stephen King. Gives us something to talk about, I think that's the only thing we have in common..........LOL. There is one thing I've found out, you or either a Stephen King fan, or you hate him.

#39 Agent_Scully

Agent_Scully

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:26 AM

"Salem's Lot" is about vampires, and it's a very freaky story! The movie is good, but the book is even better.

Stephen King is also my favorite author. I have liked most of the books I have read, but King is famous for writing books that seem to take forever to read. Some of them just take too long to catch my interest - anyone ever notice that when reading them? The book "It" is just like that...has freaky parts, but then there are parts when you're wondering, "When is this going to get scary?" lol

I think my favorite movies/books of his are as follows:

"It"
"Carrie"
"Salem's Lot"
"The Green Mile"
"The Shawshank Redemption"
"Silver Bullet" (based on the book "Cycle of The Werewolf")
"Bag of Bones"
"Skeleton Crew" (lots of different short stories)
"The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon"
"Needful Things"
Storm Of The Century"

I'm sure there are a few I left off, but I think that's a pretty good list LOL

#40 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:01 AM

Gregory, I could've sworn that I read a preface in one of his Tower books that said that, although I was only 12 at the time. lol. and 12 was a REALLY long time ago for me. When he finishes the series, I'll re-read them and work my way through to the end. lol. But not until then. I've been too disappointed by series that I've gotten interested in and they are never finished (BAD_WORD you L.J. Smith!)

I've never read The Shining. I always wondered why Jack Nicholson's picture was in that black and white photo at the end of the movie, but my sister (who HAD read the book) refused to tell me why. lol. I liked the made-for-tv version better. It was less creepy but still good.

And I didn't realize he was in Rose Red. I looked and looked for him, knowing he plays bit parts, but must've overlooked him that time around. Funny.

Pet Semetary sucked. That was a hollywood film (not made-for-tv) and he was in it. Not sure if he wrote the screenplay, but he must've supported the film if he appeared in it. I was sorely disappointed in it though. Then again, I haven't read that book either.

Dreamcatchers was pretty good (the movie- although the ending was kind of lame), but I got bored about 200 pages into the book. Right when it was getting interesting, I left it on an airplane. Figures.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#41 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 12:54 AM

I love the Green Mile, but can't read it anymore and never saw it....I was re-reading it a few months ago and when they got to the parts about the electrocution I had to stop, my brother was electrocuted at work and I just got sick
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#42 Sexyinlace

Sexyinlace

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 01:21 AM

I'm very sorry to hear that Masquarade. I don't blame you for not wanting to read that part of the books of the Green Mile.

Ana, like I said before if Stephen King didn't write the screen play for the movie, then it isn't very good. He wrote the screen play for "Rose Red" and that was a very good movie. If it says "Based on a novel by Stephen King." Then it usually not very good, because someone else wrote the screen play. Like I said before, in his movies that he writes the screen play for, he usually has a bit part in the movie. Like in "Rose Red" he was the pizza dilievery boy at the beginning of the movie.
Before you watch any movie that has anything to do with Stephen King, make sure he has written the screen play for it or it will not be as good as the book. He's written some movies that he's never written a book first. Anyway, that's how I pick out which Stephen King movies to watch, if he's written the screen play for it, I will watch it, but if it says "Based on a novel by Stephen King" I don't watch it, chances are he hasn't had anything to do with the production of the movie.

#43 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:23 AM

I agree Sexy. I've found his made-for-tv movies are always much more accurate to the story-line, and just over-all more enjoyable to watch then the hollywood renditions, like Sleepwalkers or Carrie (although scary, just wasn't as good as the book).

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#44 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:09 AM

the advantage of reading books is that the limit of imaginations and visualization is our own mind.... where as in movies and shows the limitation is the directors visualization!
Posted Image

#45 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:23 AM

Amen... I ALWAYS recommend reading a book before seeing a movie... or just reading a book INSTEAD of seeing the movie. Too bad I can't get into those blasted Harry Potter books! lol.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users