Dead computer giving me trouble!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

Well, that was 3 days without my internet. The power supply unit in my computer quit on me and I had to wait until today to buy a new one! :clap:
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#2 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

Grrrr - no fun. But glad you are back in action!

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#3 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

Computer troubles suck! But for some reason your title gave me a highly amusing and bizarre image of an animated evil undead laptop...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

Well, it was a $30 part with 15 minutes of installation time, I'm good to go! Considering that this computer is made up of pieces of my older computers that keep morphing into a Frankenputer it's only a matter of time before some of the older parts give up the ghost.

Edited by Axman, 09 August 2008 - 11:07 AM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

Aaah the Frankenputer..... Where would we be without them? That's about all I have ever used!
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#7 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

Aaah the Frankenputer..... Where would we be without them? That's about all I have ever used!

Some of the components are 10 years old. My hard drive was bought back in 2000. I'm even still using Windblows 98.

#8 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

The one I'm on now has an AMD processor and running Windows XP Profesional. About 2 years old and does what is needed.

But sitting across the table is an older one with a Pentium 2 that is also running Windows 98. Still use it from time to time online.

Downstairs is an even older one that is used every so often to get my e-mail. I also use it with my EPROM Burner when I am doing some machine level work. It's an old 386 machine running Windows 3.11 and DOS 6.2

And finally retired and used only for sentimental reasons like when I want to recall just how far we've come, I have an old IBM XT running DOS 3.3. That baby has a "huge" 10 Meg (Not a typo!) Hard drive that still works! And it's dual 5 1/4" floppy drive! It even has a few games on it, gotta love the monochromatic graphics!
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

My computer is 2003 model and since 2007 Jan I am a complete Linux user...... and yes, that has made a big difference as well.
Posted Image

#10 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

My computer is 2003 model and since 2007 Jan I am a complete Linux user...... and yes, that has made a big difference as well.

I've never really had much of a problem with 98 it's the hardware that usually gives out. I would like to use some Linux sometime but while my old copy of 98 is still working I will keep it. I have Linux Debian on a CD but it's not the easiest to install and the installation guide that came with it is not very clear. I've attempted to install it several times but I am unable to master it. Maybe someday I'll just break down and get a copy of Lindows (I think it's called something else now.). Unless I decide to just get a Mac.

Edited by Axman, 10 August 2008 - 05:11 PM.

#11 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

After a yahoo search I find that Linspire is the new name. Unfortunately my printer is the only peripheral device supported by Linspire. No using my scanner or digital camera or my DSL modem.

#12 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:48 AM

Glad you're back Axman.
Get a MAC. No problems:)
You should hear the words that come out of the mouth of hubby every once in a while at his PC!
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#13 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:53 AM

You should hear the words that come out of the mouth of hubby every once in a while at his PC!

Not if you are a Linux user :weeee:
Posted Image

#14 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

I'll pass that info onto hubby. I told him that I had heard that from a friend but, since I'm such a computer-dummy he didn't take it seriously. He might listen to you.;)
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#15 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

Like I said, I have few problems with 98, it's the outdated hardware that's finally giving out. This time it was the power supply which I have never had to replace on any of my past computers. I still have the old empty towers complete with power supplies but none of them are ATX power supplies, they're early AT supplies. If I could find a Mac with a decent payment plan I'd consider it before switching to Linux because my peripherals are compatible with Macs and not Linux. I'm sure I'll still have this machine a few years down the road so I might just get a laptop as a backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users