• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 heberly_clodbert

heberly_clodbert

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:54 PM

I own a book called "The Complete Vampire Companion - Legends and lore of the Living Dead". I received it as a birthday present about 3 years ago, Here is a bit of history on CT vampires: Pardon the spelling!

"News of the European vampire cult leaked out to the West in the early eighteenth century and swept on to infect the American colonies in New England, especially Connecticut and western Rhode Island.  There, deaths due to highly virulent diseases such as tuberculosis, measles, and smallpox were blamed on vampirism, and bodies were exhumed and muitlated in the same fashion as had been done for centuries in the rural parts of the Balkans.  The nature of infectious disease was not understood, and vampirism was an easy culprit, especially when peple died of tuberculosis, a disease that literally wastes the body.
     The Mercy Brown vampire case of Rhode Island, in the late ninteenth century, is perhaps the most famous of the vampire episodes, but in 1990, evidence was discovered in Connecticut that the vampire cult was more extensive during  the eighteenth and 19th centures than had been previously believed.
     A gravel pit exavation in the town of Griswold, CT exposed two human skulls from an old abandoned family cemetery.  A subsequent archaeological investigation refealed that tewnty-nine people had been buried there.  The seven men, seven women, twelve children, and three babies were all members fo the Walton family, who had moved from Massachussetts to Connecticut in 1690 and had farmed land in Griswold until 1830, when the family moved to Ohio.  The family cemetary, used from 1740 to about 1830, was a small, sixty- by fifty-foot plot.
     The remains discovered showed signs of the victims having died of tuberculosis, which ws the leading cause of death in adults until about the 1860's.  Some of the children buried together may have died in measels or smallpox epidemics, which swept the area in 1759 and 1790 respectively. Some of the remains showed signs of mutillation.
     One of the Walton adult men, who died of tuberculosis at about age forty, was dug up about ten years after burial.  His chest cavity was cut open, and probably what remained of his organs, if anything, was removed for cremation. It was believed that if the heart or other organs of a vampire were cremated- and possibly eaten by the sick - then a cure would be effected for the individuals stricken but still living.
     Vampirism was blamed by members of the Ray family of Griswold, when three family members died of tuberculosis between 1845 and 1851 and a fourth became infected.  The corpses of the three dead victims were exhumed by surviving members of the Ray family and their neighbors were cremated int he cemetery.  This measure did the trick, and the fourth Ray recovered.
     Vampire fears extend to other parts of New England as well..."
-as typed word for word in the book.

Does anyone else know of a vampire history in CT? Interesting information on Griswold!!

I have heard that graves have been found where there are claw marks on the insides of the caskets...the early people thought they were vampires coming out of the coffins, but today we know that perhaps these people had a medical conditon which made them appear dead, and were accidently buried alive.  The vicitms then wake up fully and realize...

OK now I am going to go to bed and have nightmares.  See you all later.

#2 lynnmichael1

lynnmichael1

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:27 PM

I read an aritcal recently that told a simular story.  Very interesting.  Id like to find a copy of that book.

#3 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:06 AM

I'm gona research that. Thanx for the info!  :)

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

• Guests

Posted 03 November 2003 - 06:57 PM

I personally know the Archaeologist who dug the remains of the so called vampire.  I dont want to dissapoint you, but I think I have to.  I have looked at the records and pictures of the body, and have even touched the coffin wood.  Pretty cool, although its not a real vampire.  Just a guy with tuberculosis.  I have the name and email address of the archaeologist, who loves to tell the story, if any1 wants it.

#5 heberly_clodbert

heberly_clodbert

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 02:38 PM

HI Brennan!

I am not dissapointed about the fact there are no vampires. If you look closely at the article, it blames tuberculosis on what people back then thought were vampires.  The whole book is about the myth of vampires, and how people of old dealt with the diseases they didn't know about.

"There, deaths due to highly virulent diseases such as tuberculosis, measles, and smallpox were blamed on vampirism, and bodies were exhumed and muitlated in the same fashion as had been done for centuries in the rural parts of the Balkans."

You should read the book, I highly recommend it!! There are stories about authors who wrote about vampires, vampires in music and movies.  Even how to kill one if you come across one!

--
Michele

#6 Celebrate_We_Will

Celebrate_We_Will

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Location:x0|Jewett City|USA||0|0|CT,Connecticutx0|Jewett City|USA||0|0|CT,Connecticut

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:48 PM

I live in Griswold and there has always been talk about us having vampires.  There is a cemetary right behind my house and one right down the road that "has vampires".  But yeah they are just definitley people who've had TB.  I've walked through both cemeteries at night and have never found anything different or abnormal.  I remember watching a tv show about vampires and Griswold was on there.  hehe for such a small town we do get a lot of press sometimes!
Celebrate we willBecause life is short but sweet for certainWe're climbing two by twoTo be sure these days continueThese things we cannot change

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:52 PM

Welcome to GV, Celebrate_We_Will
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users