• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

I realize this isn't a new topic, but this K-II meter craze just seems ridiculous. I wouldn't mind having to to mess with, but I don't see the need to drop $40-$60 on a meter that offers no defined readout of what it's actually getting. Especially something that has no stable On/Off switch (and I realize you can add one, but for the price, why should you have to?).

The interesting thing I have found about these is that they use LEDs to indicate field strength. I've heard many teams use these units in conjunction with other EMF meters, and typically the K-II goes off before the other meters do. However, I have read that LEDs can be quite noisy (as far as electromagnetic radiation goes), so isn't it feasible for the K-II meter to be setting off the additional EMF meters, just through its display?

And so long as the AC EMF meter is measuring the same frequency (50/60Hz) couldn't the Electrosensor be used in the same manner as the K-II? Obviously with the same issue, no defined readout, no solid On/Off switch and LEDs that could potentially set off additional EMF equipment. It's a much cheaper unit to purchase, and even offers a rotating probe so you can check all three axis (or you could rotate your wrist with a regular meter and do the same thing).

Just a couple questions I had.. Seems like there isn't much tech talk these days on the forum, so I'm hoping to spark up a little more. :weeee:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

All I know is that an acquaintance purchased one a while back and it doesn't even come with specs. If it can tell me what it does, it ain't worth it's weight in cow dung.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

I took a look at how one was built and ws not impressed. It appeared made cheaply and was prone to false acctivation. And that's before i even considered the switch issue. If they can't get a simple switch right, what else is marginal?

But more basic is the question why use an EMF meter anyway? Whether LEDs or a mechanical movement is used it still indicate field strength. And field strength s a function of distance from the originating source. Since we don't have a set standard as to distance from the source (indeed, how could we when the source may be unknown) The absolute milligauss value is also relative In ths cas numbers don't provide meaningful data unless the distance is known for comparison.

Rather I prefer a dynamic field monitor. This device converts the field into sound and allows you to hear the signal. From that you can gain clues as to its source. (60 Hz power line, 1 kHz from a switch mode power supply in a computer, and even demodulated RF (You can hear the broadcast if the signal is strong enough.) Point is the characteristic is more important to identifying the source than just a number on a meter.

#4 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

Rather I prefer a dynamic field monitor. This device converts the field into sound and allows you to hear the signal. From that you can gain clues as to its source. (60 Hz power line, 1 kHz from a switch mode power supply in a computer, and even demodulated RF (You can hear the broadcast if the signal is strong enough.) Point is the characteristic is more important to identifying the source than just a number on a meter.

Where do you find a dynamic field monitor... I've googled it and not much pops up...
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

They consist of essentially a high gain amplifier and an inductive pickup that feeds into a set of headphones. You use the wand to sense areas where EM Fields may be a problem. The stronger the field the louder the sound heard. You can also use an RF pickup coil to detect radio interference that exists beyond the audible spectrum.

I build them through my electronics business, and have also put schematics and construction info on my website that can be used to build your own. Similar devices can be found from other manufacturers as well, although I can't say what the specs are.

#6 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

They consist of essentially a high gain amplifier and an inductive pickup that feeds into a set of headphones. You use the wand to sense areas where EM Fields may be a problem. The stronger the field the louder the sound heard. You can also use an RF pickup coil to detect radio interference that exists beyond the audible spectrum.

I build them through my electronics business, and have also put schematics and construction info on my website that can be used to build your own. Similar devices can be found from other manufacturers as well, although I can't say what the specs are.

Is it possible to run these inductive pickups in an array and then record them to, say, a four or eight track recorder? If this is possible, then the analysis could possible show if there is some form of movement of the field over the array and then be plotted out in a 3D graph showing duration and strength. I've always thought there has to be some way to accurately monitor an area to see if there are anomalous fields such as this, and to see if these fields can support other data (video and photographic) and possible personal experiences.

Look forward to hearing back.

Edited by OMPRDave, 30 August 2008 - 05:47 PM.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

An interesting idea. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Calibration might be a consideration, getting each to respond in the same manner, but assuming (1) All sensors were oriented along the same axis, and (2) the gain of each channel could be set independent of any other to derive equal gain from each sensor, I wouldn't see any reason it shouldn'e work. You might also need to in some way put each sensor in place and hold it there once calibrated since the may be a limited interaction between sensors. but once you get it compensated for, it should no be an issue provided no sensors are disturbed once compensation has been established between sensors.

Good luck, you might be on to something there.

#8 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

So this device you speak of.. Is this similar to a "buzz stick?" At least, I think I've heard them called that before. I imagine they're higher quality than the "budget buzz stick," LessEMF.com sells, but I've been looking into picking up one of those to record into a recorder in our data logging trays we set up in rooms. Just thought it'd be another interesting piece of information to have, in case something was captured on the audio recorder, we could cross reference the "anomaly" with temperature/humidity information, AC EMF information and also AC EMF audio.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:56 PM

So this device you speak of.. Is this similar to a "buzz stick?" At least, I think I've heard them called that before. I imagine they're higher quality than the "budget buzz stick," LessEMF.com sells, but I've been looking into picking up one of those to record into a recorder in our data logging trays we set up in rooms. Just thought it'd be another interesting piece of information to have, in case something was captured on the audio recorder, we could cross reference the "anomaly" with temperature/humidity information, AC EMF information and also AC EMF audio.

It is similar except that the one I use is wound on a larger ferrite core which makes it somewhat directional and increases it sensitivity. Plus, the amplifier I use also has some band filtering which allows you to select certain frequencies for monitoring. You mnay also use an RF "demodulating" probe to detect stray radio signals and hear what audio or other modulation may be present on them.

#10 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Wow. That sounds completely awesome! If I understood diagrams and all that stuff, I'd love to get into building something like that.. But, that far into the technical end isn't exactly my cup of tea. As much as I enjoy it, I just don't have the capacity to understand it all. Thanks for the info though! :)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

Well, now it's time to start checking eBay for a good multi-track recorder. Where can one purchase these pickups you speak of, caverat?

Dave
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#12 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

Well, now it's time to start checking eBay for a good multi-track recorder. Where can one purchase these pickups you speak of, caverat?

Dave

I built mine. They are not complicated t all. I have plans already posted on my website with step by step instructions. One change I made after the plans were posted was to wind additional turns to increase the sensitivity. The plans show two layers af wire, I smply repeated the steps to add two more in the same manner as shown. You can make these for under $10, depending on length of cable and connectors you decide to use.

#13 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

Dave

I built mine. They are not complicated t all. I have plans already posted on my website with step by step instructions. One change I made after the plans were posted was to wind additional turns to increase the sensitivity. The plans show two layers af wire, I smply repeated the steps to add two more in the same manner as shown. You can make these for under $10, depending on length of cable and connectors you decide to use.

I will check it out...thanks!

#14 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

This may be old news-but my new KII just arrived with a new 2 step switch. First press turns it on, second press turns it off. No more coins needed!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#15 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:20 PM

Simply because its missing from this post I am going to add this.
KII meters are another way to communicate with spirits. Because they're so sensitive a spirit can be easily taught to set it off once or twice for yes or no answers, or a specific number of times for a numeric answer. None of this can be proven of course and it isn't considered scientific. The nice thing about them is that they get rid of the human element you have with pendulums or divining rods.
There is nothing left to say.Me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users