11 replies to this topic

#1 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:10 PM

I just read an article about portions of England and Wales running out of space for burials:

http://story.news.ya..._britain_graves

what do you think?  would you want great-great-grandma dug up to plant cousin louey?
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#2 hippiecowboyco

hippiecowboyco

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

This is something that the living need to consider today.  With an ever burgeoning population, what shall we do with the dead?

Before NAGPRA (not been a part of a project where remains were unearthed since then), our crews tended to deepen remains when leaving in situ was not an option, and relocation just seemed wrong.

Perchance time to ponder the business of burials in the modern era?
"Itso-ye"

#3 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:05 AM

I was talking to a funeral director and we were talking about just this thing. He said that some family plot are starting to stack family member one on top the other in order to save space. More so with husbands and wifes. Makes good sence to me.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#4 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:08 AM

That's the way I wanna go Secret! It really makes perfect sense. That and more cremations I would say is the answer.  Maybe if the government would give your family a tax incentive, more people would have their loved ones cremated, haha!

Or maybe that's why the moon and Mars exploration, more burial space! I can  see it
"The burial shuttle to the skies..."
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#5 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 02:45 PM

My grandparents are going to be doubled up..my grandmother owned a plot out of state and my grandfather thought is was stupid to pay to ship her and for the family to make a 6 hour drive one way and since the family plot with only had his spot left they dug deep and he'll be above her for eternity
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:28 PM

no body remains will be there at great-great granpa's burial site in the first place. why keep unwanted emotions? lets face it, he is dead and gone and his body decomposed! or do we need cousin louey's body out in the open?

okay, for us it is cremation, so lack of space doesn't pose a "threat" ;D
Posted Image

#7 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 03:18 AM

This has happened before. In the city of Paris the cemeteries were literally spilling into the streets. This caused the birth of the catacombs.

http://www.ghostvill..._10042003.shtml
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#8 Oceanfairy69

Oceanfairy69

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 08:33 AM

I think moving people that have passed from there final resting place is a horrible idea.  :-[ I beleave that no one should be removed from there final resting place. I wont even let people dig in my back yard anywhere close to where a passed pet is resting. I just think its awfull and there are other ways to get around it and removing people from there final resting place shouldnt even be considered. :'(

#9 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:35 AM

It is quite common for families to be buried on top of family members that have been priorly buried in a plot.  It's alot cheaper-- just buy one plot and only pay for the grave opening and closing.
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#10 Mullet

Mullet

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 12:04 PM

I just read an article about portions of England and Wales running out of space for burials:

http://story.news.ya..._britain_graves

what do you think?  would you want great-great-grandma dug up to plant cousin louey?

i have no cousin louey

#11 havstar

havstar

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 07:47 AM

It makes you wonder if they will go back to cremation for everyone.  I understand this goes against certain religions though.

#12 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 16 March 2004 - 08:33 AM

burial space was a major problem in the early 1900's (I think thats about the right time any way) when people thought you had to buried in a church grave yard... they then developed cemetaries...
But if you think about it people have been moving the dead for centuaries- any of you ever read or seen Hamlet? What do you think the Clown is doing with all those bones when he's digging Ophelias grive "alas poor Yorick I knew thee well" there's a reason that guy's holding a skull ya'know.
Its common practice to reuse burial space.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users