#1 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:48 AM

Here's a link to more details on this recorder:

http://en.wikipedia...._Handy_Recorder

Just figured I'd see what everyone thought about this. I've heard some good things about them, so I figured I'd see how they hold up to Jim's standards on audio recording gear. ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

Well GPPI... You beat me too it... I found this recorder when searching for a zoom mic for my camcorder and was going to make the same post... LOL...

I've also seen the H4 which is around the same price... I'd like to see what other people's opinion's are as well...

Christopher
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

The H2, when used in its HQ setting (96KBPS, WAV format 24 bit width) will meet the standards needed for full analysis of the audio obtained. I would point out that at other settings compromises will occur and may result in audio which will not be satisfactory for this work

I also don't advise the use of the internal mics for EVP work. The quality is entirely satisfactory, however for spatial analysis the mics must be placed about 30 inches apart. This is because spatial analysis utilizes the time difference between the sound striking each mic to derive direction and distance. The H2 simulates this using a phased array concept, not the actual time differential. It may sound good, but will not have the proper time based on the actual location.

Also the use of the WAV format is required for evidence gathering. Others (MP3) are compressed, and even the manufacturers specs verify the high frequency response is greater (16kHz vs 12kHz) in WAV mode.

Provided these conditions are used the H2 will meet minimum specs for digital recording and as such is satisfactory.

#4 CASEY WELLS

CASEY WELLS

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:25 PM

so what product would you say is the one to have, with a comparable price tag of course, to that of the h2 i mean
Under the wide and open sky, dig the grave and let me lie;Gladly i've lived and gladly die, away from this world of strife;This be the epitaph for me- "Here he lies where he longed to be, lies in death by the nineteenth tee, where he lied all his life"

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

so what product would you say is the one to have, with a comparable price tag of course, to that of the h2 i mean

It is my policy not to make product recommendations unless I have done testing on the unit itself. With regards to digital recorders in that price range I have only evaluated the H2, thus I can only state my feelings on that one. I am sure there are others that are equally good, but can't recommend them because I have not tested them, not because I find fault with them. The other digital I evaluated, the Fostex FR2 is also recommended, but at $1.199 is well outside the price range of the H2.

#6 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

So we found a somewhat economy priced digital recorder that is actually acceptable. Sweet. I'll have to look into getting a hold of one of these now.

As always, thanks for the feedback!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 tiedyekeith

tiedyekeith

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:53 PM

Since many investigators bring laptops along on their investigations, central command what have you, there is another option...going a little higher end but, not expensive when compared to something like the ZOOM unit... ProTools LE with their MBox which has two mic pre amplifiers to dial in gain and records 48K 24 bit ... there are several different MBox options, stick, mini, pro, midi etc....the main thing is to make sure the unit has those mic pre's...that way you can use any mic, even ones that require phantom power and really dial in high quality sound wave capturing....... their MBox 2 mini runs about $325.oo new or less used

The one I personally use is the next step up, the MBox 2 which runs just under $500 new and about half that used on ebay or what not.....they are great units

Personally, use of static mic's are just as important, it would seem to me, as static IR cameras are.....you can walk around with hand helds (audio or video) and it lowers the odds of being at the right place at the right time...whereas if the site is carpeted with static IR video and static high quality mic's, using a system like the MBox line, then the odds would seem to increase in the investigations favor of actually capturing evidence.

I'm a musician so I high quality sound is critical to my ears.....I can hear the difference, easily....Digidesign is the state of the art in the music industry for recording purposes, though there are many many competitors out there, some almost as widely used in the music biz as ProTools. I also own the top shelf ProTools HD 3 TDM system at my recording studio but, I bought the MBox for remote opportunities I couldn't haul my studio gear out to record....

Just my humble opinion but, the higher end sound waves captured the better odds of drawing out the EVP's if there are any to be had.....and the odds of catching an EVP goes up as well...

One note ..... The ProTools MBox's or what have you only get you the recording gear, you still need to invest in microphones to hook up to the MBox - since many of the BEST mic's require phantom power, the MBox 2 is a good way to go.....

Peace, Love, Music, Ghost Hunting and Skydiving!
Tiedye Keith

#8 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

I looked up some info on the Mbox system and from what I see I don't see any problem with the system itself. My only concern would be that the laptop it is used with has the capability to fully support it. That would likely be a function of the computer itself. Each user would have to mke that evaluation for their own machine.

I would point out that as you get into high end systems the number of EVPs captured decreases dramatically, not increases. But there is a good reason for this, you are eliminating causes which often lead to FALSE EVPs. What remains is actually a much more credibile recording. Since we don't need false ones anyway, this is a case where less is better, since what you do get is much more reliable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users