• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo Chyld

Indigo Chyld

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

Wasn't sure really where to post this, so I figured here would be best. Hope this fits!

In 1898 Morgan Robertson wrote Futility, the Wreck of the Titan. A book about an ocean liner named the Titan that was said to be unsinkable but it strikes an iceburg and sinks with lots of fatalities.

In 1912 the Titanic, an ocean liner said to be unsinkable, hits an iceburg with lots of fatalities.

(The Titan was named so from the word BAD_WORDan. Which comes from the Hebrew word for Satan.Ironic since it was said not even God could sink the Titanic)

Robertson later wrote a book Beyond the Spectrum that is about a future war fought with aircrafts that carried nons so powerful they could destroy a city and blinds anyone who looks at it. The war began in December and was started by the Japanese with a sneak attack on Hawaii.

WWII started in December. The Japanese staged a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

Did he predict the future unknowingly or was the future molded by his stories? Interesting thought.
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey.Stephen R. Covey

#2 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

Well, WWII started long before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, it was simply the incident that gave the US a reason to become involved. Funny (not ha ha) how we didn't get involved over all the Jews being killed in the Holocaust. Hmmm........but I'll leave that for another day.

I think the author probably had good insight into the world and the way things were moving during his time with the build up of militarism, imperialism, advances in ship building, and modern weaponry. Anyone who paid attention to news around the world from the 19th century on could probably have forseen these events. Just my humble opinion.

Great idea for a topic, looking forward to what others have to say.

Edited by Kira, 13 September 2008 - 07:02 PM.

The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#3 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:21 PM

(The Titan was named so from the word BAD_WORDan. Which comes from the Hebrew word for Satan.Ironic since it was said not even God could sink the Titanic)

Just a note---I'm pretty sure Titan and Titanic refer to Greek mythology, not Hebrew...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#4 balo

balo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

I think the author probably had good insight into the world and the way things were moving during his time with the build up of militarism, imperialism, advances in ship building, and modern weaponry. Anyone who paid attention to news around the world from the 19th century on could probably have forseen these events. Just my humble opinion.

I agree with Kira. The author was very attuned to what's happening in the world. As for the Titan name, it's probably just coincidence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users