• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

I'm sure everyone has seen these..or at least a lot of you have. Once again, I searched around, didn't see a post on them specifically, so I figured I'd just start one up.

I picked up a pair of these after trying some out during an investigation. First off, there is nothing special about these, and they are not high quality. Honestly, they seem like a webcam that has had the IR filter removed, and then someone has attached two sets of IR LEDs so that one can wear these, and see in the dark. They work well, for being a kids toy. However, I wanted them to be something more than they were..

So, I decided to integrate an EMF meter into the bare eye socket (because these "goggles" are actually just a monocle with a plastic eye cover). Now while you are capable of seeing things in the "near IR field," you can also get AC EMF readings from the 50/60 Hz frequency range. Again, this is just for entertainment.

This EMF meter works the same as the famed "K II" meter, so perhaps a question session with rules on making the light flash once for "no," and twice for "yes," could be achieved. And who knows.. Maybe you could actually see what it is that affects the field fluctuation. It's no more ridiculous than the use of IR cameras and K II meters that a lot of investigators already use, right?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, the end result is a low end, nightvision monocle, with gray/green scale viewing, an IR extender, and an integrated AC EMF meter, tuned to detect electromagnetic fluctuations in the 50/60 Hz frequency range. Thoughts? Questions?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 LoneArcher

LoneArcher

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

Very interesting!

Where did you find the EMF circuit? Is it a kit or did you design it yourself?

I've been interested in the K2 for awhile, but I'm still on the fence. I would rather build one myself if it were cost effective to do so.

#3 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:58 AM

The EMF circuit board is actually from an Electrosensor. Since they check the same range, and the electrosensor offers a larger LED readout than the K II, I figured I'd go with it. It's also cheaper, too! :whee:

I wish I designed the thing myself.. I really haven't the time to spend learning how to do that stuff - but if you decide to take that route, talk to Jim (CaveRat). He could probably assist you.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 LoneArcher

LoneArcher

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

Very interesting!

I've been interested in the K2 for awhile, but I'm still on the fence. I would rather build one myself if it were cost effective to do so.

Thanks, I'll check with him when I get a chance.

#5 801

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

I saw these in Costco (wholesale grocery store). Who ever would have thought of the day when night vision would be a kids toy? I remember when GEN I nightvision was big money and only the military really used it. What is the distance like with these goggles?
Posted ImageIs that you John Wayne? Is that me? No, I've been smoked by AnnieV!

#6 GPPI_JMe

GPPI_JMe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

I saw these in Costco (wholesale grocery store). Who ever would have thought of the day when night vision would be a kids toy? I remember when GEN I nightvision was big money and only the military really used it. What is the distance like with these goggles?

The box says 50 feet. G4 Tech TV did a review of them, and rated them at 20 feet. I have to say, honestly, they do illuminate further than 20 feet, but not sure the exact range. In fact, we checked them with a Sony Mini DV, and the range with the goggles was further than the range with the Sony camcorder.. :ghost:

They're cool to mess with, if anything else.
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users