Cemetery on October Mountain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

Some friends and I will be hiking in October Mountain State Forest this weekend and he have heard about the abandoned cemetery and would like to visit it. I have searched the internet for it's location but there are conflicting stories where it is actually located within the 16,000+ acre forest.

Has anyone been there? I was wondering if it is actually located on October Mountain or one of the various trails in the forest? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-Pfled
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#2 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

Can't help you Pfled, but it does sound like quite an adventure. Be careful and update us on what happened upon your return, please.

#3 RQRmike

RQRmike

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

Hope you get this in time...
Basically, if you can find the big reservoir on top of the mountain youre all set.
Theres a parking lot for it and the path to the cemetery is right across
the road. This hiking trail takes you by a very old foundation of a small home
and the cemetery is a little ways up from that on the right.
If you walk a little further up from that hiking trail on the main road theres
another path that leads right to the cemetery.

I just went there a few days ago and got some spikes on an EMF detector.
Lots of orb photos but i dont trust those...
Theres some not so good energy at the far back of the cemetery...its hard
to describe. But all in all its a very peaceful place.

Edited by RQRmike, 10 October 2008 - 07:14 PM.

#4 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

Hope you get this in time...
Basically, if you can find the big reservoir on top of the mountain youre all set.
Theres a parking lot for it and the path to the cemetery is right across
the road. This hiking trail takes you by a very old foundation of a small home
and the cemetery is a little ways up from that on the right.
If you walk a little further up from that hiking trail on the main road theres
another path that leads right to the cemetery.

I just went there a few days ago and got some spikes on an EMF detector.
Lots of orb photos but i dont trust those...
Theres some not so good energy at the far back of the cemetery...its hard
to describe. But all in all its a very peaceful place.

RQRMike,

Thanks a lot for your post. I caught it just before I left in the morning. It is a very peaceful place, and the weather on Saturday was absolutely phenomenal. We sat in the cemetery for about an hour, but there were too many hikers/families, passing by that our audio was pretty much useless.

It's a shame that most of the stones are broken. My fellow hiker got a really weird vibe from one of the stones. The only etching was the initials M.A.W. but there was a charcoal-like design on the stone that was quite odd. It looked like it had been burned on the stone. It looked like a figure holding a bowl. Other than that stone we didn't feel much.

Thanks again for the directions.

-Pfled
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#5 johnMA

johnMA

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hello - My name is John and I live in western Mass. I recently paid a visit to the remote cemetery on October Mountain State Forest in Berkshire County, MA. Very difficult to find; I spent hours driving around on back
roads and ended getting lost what looked like some very rugged logging roads (trails). However I did find
the cemetery and a paid a visit during the early morning hours (around 2 AM) with a flashlight. At first I hiked along a wooded trail surrounded by towering pine trees. There was an ancient stone wall running alongside the trail; I believe there used to be a house in this area? A little later I found the cemetery. It is a shame to see the tombstones toppled over and laying on the ground. I also saw a posted list of the names of the people who are buried there. I did not notice anything unusual while I was standing there. Did not hear any sounds or whispers. It was all very quiet. However I did feel a very peculiar chill as I hiked the nearby hiking trail. In the pitch-black darkness it was almost like walking into a different dimension; I never felt anything like that before. I am a newcomer to the world of ghost investigations. I am planning to bring a recorder to the cemetery next time to see if I can pick up any voices.
JohnMA

#6 johnMA

johnMA

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:30 AM

September 14, 2010: Just got back home from another early morning visit to the abandoned cemetery on October Mountain in the Berkshires, MA. I brought my camcorder along and set it up using night vision. I spent about 60 minutes on site. I recorded sound and video on the nearby hiking trail as well as on-site at the cemetery. Nothing to report. No unsual sounds or sights. All was quiet. I am wondering if there are actually any spirits remaining there? Perhaps they have all moved on to their destinations. Still get an odd sensation
along the trail; At the cemetery there is a feeling of tranquillity. I am planning to talk to some of the local townspeople about the cemetery. I plan to check into the accounts (stories) about the strange unexplained
happenings there. Noticed that some of the headstones are missing or discarded in the woods. Perhaps
people have been removing the stones over the years? A side note: Back in the 1970s when I was a teenager I recall driving my motorcycle over October Mountain/Washinton Mountain and coming across a little graveyard at or near a dirt road intersection (crossroads). I remember looking at the ancient headstones. The graveyard was set off to the right of the road - the same as the graveyard I have been visiting. I do not remember the exact location of the graveyard I visited back in the 1970s, but I think it may in fact be the present October Mountain graveyard that I have been visiting. I remember the headstones were all erect and that a number of them had verses inscribed on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users