Maudslay State Park, Newburyport, MA

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 zd8garand

zd8garand

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

I grew up going to Maudslay Park.. During my thanksgiving break this year, I went for a walk in the park and it brought back some memories, good and bad. It has been almost 6 years. I've been reading up on others' experiences and some are very similar to the ones I had. The biggest one is the "being watched" feeling.. Every time I go, I catch myself looking though the woods or behind me for something. It's like I know somethings there but can't see it. The 2nd is the "sad/gloomy" feeling I get.. The areas I get the most depressed is at the pet cemetery and the bridge/dam on the pond. But overall, as soon as I enter that park I start to get sad and it only gets worse the farther I go. I know it is natural to get sad at a cemetery but this feeling is different. Something I can't explain only feel. The 3rd feeling is an attraction. There is a farm across the street from the park. Lets say you are looking at the park entrance from the parking lot.. It's the farm to the left with the weird stables dug into the hillside. Something draws me over there.. Idk if it's part of the park or used to be but I always get this weird feeling that I needed to go over there. I remember as a little kid sitting on that hill. The part of the park I've always been scared of is the plant cellar, (the huge door built into a hill). I guess they store or used to store plants in this cellar for the winter. I would never go near it or stand in front of the door. Maybe I was just a little wimp, idk but I would never go near it. These feeling are very hard to explain so I will do my best to help you understand if you have questions.. I know that there are some rumors of people seeing hell hounds, the old burned house appearing with a woman. Never had any experiences with those but would be interesting.

The reason why I wrote all of this is because I believe there is something weird about this park. It's a very beautiful place to have lunch and enjoy the scenery but for the people who have been there more than a few times, can see/feel something else. Who knows.. Is it haunted? Our imagination gone wild? Would love to here your thoughts on this and/or any recent experiences.

#17 owell97

owell97

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

I grew up going to Maudslay Park.. During my thanksgiving break this year, I went for a walk in the park and it brought back some memories, good and bad. It has been almost 6 years. I've been reading up on others' experiences and some are very similar to the ones I had. The biggest one is the "being watched" feeling.. Every time I go, I catch myself looking though the woods or behind me for something. It's like I know somethings there but can't see it. The 2nd is the "sad/gloomy" feeling I get.. The areas I get the most depressed is at the pet cemetery and the bridge/dam on the pond. But overall, as soon as I enter that park I start to get sad and it only gets worse the farther I go. I know it is natural to get sad at a cemetery but this feeling is different. Something I can't explain only feel. The 3rd feeling is an attraction. There is a farm across the street from the park. Lets say you are looking at the park entrance from the parking lot.. It's the farm to the left with the weird stables dug into the hillside. Something draws me over there.. Idk if it's part of the park or used to be but I always get this weird feeling that I needed to go over there. I remember as a little kid sitting on that hill. The part of the park I've always been scared of is the plant cellar, (the huge door built into a hill). I guess they store or used to store plants in this cellar for the winter. I would never go near it or stand in front of the door. Maybe I was just a little wimp, idk but I would never go near it. These feeling are very hard to explain so I will do my best to help you understand if you have questions.. I know that there are some rumors of people seeing hell hounds, the old burned house appearing with a woman. Never had any experiences with those but would be interesting.

The reason why I wrote all of this is because I believe there is something weird about this park. It's a very beautiful place to have lunch and enjoy the scenery but for the people who have been there more than a few times, can see/feel something else. Who knows.. Is it haunted? Our imagination gone wild? Would love to here your thoughts on this and/or any recent experiences.

#18 owell97

owell97

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

I was suprised to find all these post on Maudslay park . I grew up accross the street from the park. I moved there in 1970 and my family lived there for 35 years. So to say the least i spent endless amount of hours in the park before it was a park. It was called Mosley estates back then and the famous Hell's gates known by people all over the state by the time i was a teenager. I went to school with the kids who lived in the old farm house accross the street and their mom use to have a penny candy store in the barn. I spent countless hours out on the estate as a child and fishing off the old broken bridge(Curzon mill). You were not allowed on the estate back then and the family in the farm house and the other white house were the caretakers. They were there to keep me out or kick me out when i was riding my dirt bike in there or playing hockey on the pond and pool.. and later when i became a teen they were there to throw me out when we threw parties on the estate. Partying at Hell's Gates was popular in the early 80's. I have to be honest were would get creepy feelings at when we were around there at night, but who wouldnt? teen+alcohol+deserted estate= FEAR. In ALL the years i spent on the estate when it was in its original state and untouched i NEVER saw any ghosts on the property. The only unexplained encounter i had was one night myself and some freinds were chased out the road that leads to the Gates of hell by what appeared to be 2 doberman's barking and running toward us. Problem is the caretaker did not own Doberman's nor did anyone else in the area. There were not many residents in the area back then. I beleive the caretaker started all the Rumors and myths back in the early 70's to keep us kids out i bet he would get a kick out of what has come of it and how the rumors have become legend. I am not saying this cause i dont beleive in ghosts because i did infact see one in the area in the late 70's just not in or at the park. The ghost i saw was in Sawyer's hill cemetary which is right behind the current parking lot for the park. Which use to be a huge vegitible feild. The Cemetary was only a few hundred feet from my bedroom growing up and established in 1690 i think. But this Also was my play ground as a child, i know it sounds creepy but i probally spent the majority of my time in or around it. This was the only place and time i saw what i beleived to be a ghost which was in the form of a pirate hanging a nuce from the big tree i loved to climb daily on the SE side of the cemetary. I watched the man for a few minutes from behind the stone wall and when he looked in my direction i ducked down... when i came up he was gone. If you are seeking ghosts i would probally look in the cemetary and not the park. Once it became a public park i lost interest in it and have only been out there mabye 2-3 times since. It lost its mystery and eriness when it went public.

#19 wig in a box

wig in a box

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

I've been to Maudslay State Park a few times, but haven't experienced anything too out of the ordinary. The only thing I sensed while I walked around was the feeling of being watched. It wasn't as strong in some places as others, though. Below are a few photos I took (they're pretty recent, only from 2008):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
and I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down; and I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away; and I never come back to this town again in my life. - the mountain goats

#20 bostonguy12

bostonguy12

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

I'm from south shore, MA and had never even head of maudslay park until last wednesday. a couple friends and i were walking through and i felt something right away.. scared me a little bit but i pressed on..it wasnt until we were bout 30 yards into the woodland trail that i instantly got freezing cold and a really bad feeling came over me. We turned around and as we were walking out of the park i felt as we were being followed...as we were passing from the woods to the meadowy beginning of the park i heard loud screams of terror and 2 or 3 young children screaming "come back" and "help us!" i would love to hear any stories about maudslay because something terrible happened to those children and i fear they will not rest until their story is told

#21 mH1030

mH1030

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:42 PM

born and raised in chicago, i have never heard of maudslay state park, but after reading the numerous posts and seeing some of the photos, i am very interested! how strange that so many of you have had similar sensations during your visits. if anyone finds any additional information or had anymore photos, please post, i, for one, would love to see them! i am very intrigued and i will definitely have to make a trip there whenever i visit MA. i will keep a look out for information as well, and hopefully, collectively, we can come up with something!

-G

#22 wig in a box

wig in a box

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

I went back this past week, March 19th, mostly because it was nice outside but also because I'm drawn to Maudslay. It really is a mysterious place.

Nothing too out of the ordinary occurred, except that the battery in my camera died. Now, some folks believe that spirits will draw the life out of batteries when they want to manifest themselves, but I don't think this was the case. :) (I have been using the same batteries in my camera since December, so it's about time they pooped out!)

Anyway, this time I found the rhododendrons and noticed that it was particularly chilly in that spot. I wonder if this is where people get the idea of cold spots. (When I went, it was roughly 74-76 degrees out, but the path by the rhododendrons was significantly chillier...but I think that's mainly because they're so tall they block out the sun).

I also managed to find the pet cemetery. It's a little strange, but nothing too creepy.

Posted Image

Never heard any children, but I did get a sort of weird feeling looking at the gate. Not that I was creeped out by it, but it's one of those things where you look at it and wonder what it was like in its hay day.

What I find so peculiar about this park is that there seems to be no history on it, no pictures of the estate, it's just very mysterious.

and I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down; and I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away; and I never come back to this town again in my life. - the mountain goats

#23 nytesprite

nytesprite

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Location:x0|Troy|USA||0|0|NY,New_Yorkx0|Troy|USA||0|0|NY,New_York

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:12 AM

I grew up in the Merrimack Valley and went to Maudslay a number of times as a kid as a result - there was always something about the park that had a very haunting, eerie feeling to it. I'm really not sure if it's just because the buildings are boarded up and in ruins or because of the sheer amount of history in the place or if there's really something there, so to speak. I do believe that places and things carry energy with them, and the older a place is, the more likely it is to have that energy left from the people who used to inhabit it. Just this past Saturday I visited with a friend and I took some pictures of the property - one place that creeped me out was a large door built into the hillside - the steel wall had "Danger - keep out" spray painted on it, so we just walked up to it and peered inside - really couldn't see anything due to the darkness. I've posted a picture below - I think an earlier poster mentioned something about plant storage, not sure if this was the place they were talking about or not. If not, can someone tell me what this area was used for?

Also, I'm curious to know where the "gates to Hell" are on the property. Nothing I'd really care to get too close to, just wondering.

It really is a shame that there is so little information out there about the Maudslay estate in general. It seems as though there should be tons of info., but with the old buildings having been destroyed by fire, perhaps a lot of the records went up in the blaze, too. I'd love to see what the old house looked like in its glory days.

Posted Image

#24 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

It is funny that I saw this. I am going mountain biking there today. I live in Newburyport and it takes me about 15 minutes to get there on my bike. I have to start taking my camera there. I get "spooked" in certain areas and feel like someone is always watching me. As for your photo, I asked a caretaker long ago what that was and he said it was an old "root cellar" used to store fruits and veggies.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#25 ParaEv

ParaEv

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

Wow....I haven't looked at this post for quite a long time, and I'm really impressed with all stories and experiences of others who have experienced Maudslay first hand. @owell97: I never even knew about that cemetery that's adjacent to the park, and it took me forever to find the entrance to it....I was driving by when I found it, so I have to find some time to walk over that way to check it out. @nytesprite: is that a current pic of the "hillside door"? I've never seen it opened like that...weird! I'll have to take a walk through there soon to check it out. Also, this is allegedly where the "gates to Hell" is, at least that's what I was told by a few people on my original visit years ago. If it is, then I wonder why they're opened now! :whoohoo:

#26 ParaEv

ParaEv

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

Here are some pics of the old front gate of Maudslay. They restored it a few years ago. I also have a picture of the original Moseley mansion as well as the Helen Moseley house that mysteriously burned down back in the late '70's. These last two pics are screen captures from a video about Maudslay that someone made and can be found on YouTube. I'll try to link to it later...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The original Moseley mansion:
Posted Image

The Helen Moseley house:
Posted Image

#27 ParaEv

ParaEv

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

Here's a link to that YouTube video about Maudslay. Please note that they don't talk about the paranormal aspect of the park, but it's a great overview of the place for anyone unfamiliar with it. Enjoy!

Historic Environments: Maudslay State Park

#28 Bonzai

Bonzai

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

I lived in Maudslay Park for 10 years, late '94 to late '03.  "In" because I was girlfriend and then wife of the then Artistic Director of Theater in the Open which has been in residence in the park since the mid-80's.  I have seen ghosts there, twice, and yes, have felt presenses there - still do whenever I walk through the park.  

My two visible ghosts were in what was called The Farmhouse, now a privately owned home directly across the street from the 'main trail' just down from the main entrance park sign.  One apparition was a woman sitting, all in white, on the couch in our living room, actually she was lounging, legs strectch out on the couch.. I was walking through the room, thought it was one of our roommates and turned to say hi, but when I looked full on she was gone. Unmistakeably a woman and also a very calm, observing entity - nothing at all malevolent.  My other visual experience, same house, I was doing dishes in the kitchen, someone knocked on the door and when I turned to get it, a ball of colored and moving light, perhaps what might be coined an orb, was 'sitting' on the kitchen table behind me, 'whooshed' up the back stairs that were right there.  It was so apparent, yet my mind resisted accepting - that I thought to myself, 'that wasn't a cat' (we had 2) and looked up the stairs - no cat.   I've had quite a few other non-visible experiences in the park - fairly sure a teenage boy was standing, leaning against the door in the kitchen when we lived at The Gatehouse, couldn't see, but felt.. again, definitely mellow energy.  I feel 'someone watching' every single time I walk in that park too - which was a lot living there almost 10 years with a dog to walk... I have always and only felt benevolent feelings, and fairly strongly too.  I will say I have noticed a bit of sad feeling on the bridge by the BAD_WORD, but not overwhelming, and otherwise, all good spirits I truly believe.  

I even had one down-right mystical experience on a winter walk one day when I was feeling very down. I was standing overlooking the river by the Helen Moseley house remains, thinking sad and lonely thoughts, (fight w/ my boyfriend that day I think,)  I closed my eyes for just a moment, when I opened them mist was 'rushing' up the hillside and wrapped itself all around me, I had a completely overwhelming sense of many spirits around me and they were all very loving, it was so strong it made me cry, in the good way... 

So those are my Maudslay is Haunted stories .. it is, most definitely, my experiences were all good.  

#29 loganinkosovo

loganinkosovo

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:50 AM

It is funny that I saw this. I am going mountain biking there today. I live in Newburyport and it takes me about 15 minutes to get there on my bike. I have to start taking my camera there. I get "spooked" in certain areas and feel like someone is always watching me. As for your photo, I asked a caretaker long ago what that was and he said it was an old "root cellar" used to store fruits and veggies.

It could have also been used to store bodies when the ground was too frozen to dig graves.......   :)

The only difference between Socialism and National Socialism is the snappy uniforms. - Logan "Aside from ending Slavery, Fascism and Communist World Domination, War has never solved anything!""For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute! But it's "Savior of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot." - Rudyard Kipling"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."---George Orwell"Always Remember-All Lessons in Life are Expensive.....and the last one costs you everything you have." - Logan"Socialism is just Communism without a Dictator....and you can always find a Dictator!" - Logan"An Armed Man is a Citizen. An Unarmed Man is a Subject. Subject to anything anyone wants to do to him." - Logan

#30 loganinkosovo

loganinkosovo

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:13 AM

The ghost i saw was in Sawyer's hill cemetary which is right behind the current parking lot for the park. Which use to be a huge vegitible feild. The Cemetary was only a few hundred feet from my bedroom growing up and established in 1690 i think. But this Also was my play ground as a child, i know it sounds creepy but i probally spent the majority of my time in or around it. This was the only place and time i saw what i beleived to be a ghost which was in the form of a pirate hanging a nuce from the big tree i loved to climb daily on the SE side of the cemetary. I watched the man for a few minutes from behind the stone wall and when he looked in my direction i ducked down... when i came up he was gone. If you are seeking ghosts i would probally look in the cemetary and not the park. Once it became a public park i lost interest in it and have only been out there mabye 2-3 times since. It lost its mystery and eriness when it went public.

Was the "pirate" looking fellow tying a noose to the tree as in getting ready to hang someone or himself, or was he hanging from a noose?

If he was looking at you it sounds like an intelligent haunt......

BTW, during the early colonist period most well dressed men would look like "Pirates".

The only difference between Socialism and National Socialism is the snappy uniforms. - Logan "Aside from ending Slavery, Fascism and Communist World Domination, War has never solved anything!""For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute! But it's "Savior of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot." - Rudyard Kipling"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."---George Orwell"Always Remember-All Lessons in Life are Expensive.....and the last one costs you everything you have." - Logan"Socialism is just Communism without a Dictator....and you can always find a Dictator!" - Logan"An Armed Man is a Citizen. An Unarmed Man is a Subject. Subject to anything anyone wants to do to him." - Logan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users