hypothetical - apocalypse

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:15 AM

IMO we'll either blow ourselves apart...
Or zombies (resulting from some kind of radiation, or not, I'm not sure) will over run the planet.

Either way we're pretty much screwed.

I hope you don't really believe that. We have at least several millenia of millieums yet before something cataclysmic may give us something we will have serios problems we can't handle. We won't evolve anymore advance like they show in Star Trek but our knowledge an technology will become more advanced and we now understand that we must clean up after ourselves. Life is a learning experiance and I think we are learning.

#17 aya&aki

aya&aki

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:arts, music, literature, science... and a bunch of other stuff that I'd like to keep private.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:06 AM

:) My world is turned upside down. What started as a question about a star (going out) and the Earth's gravitational pull has now reached out to zombies!!! Awesome...(man i'm crazy)

...Happy Halloween/Samhain everybody!!! thanks for the ideas..

...regarding that..biologically, it's possible for people to be in that zombie state...it can be through a parasite or bacteria that feeds on the host (humans) and control them in the way...and can be passed on by direct contact (similar to the zombies biting people to turn them into zombies)...

...personally, i believe humans have lessened their right to the Earth and to live for that matter...
"The Open-mindness of a person can be measured by his/her ability to accept that everything is right and everything is wrong. There are no such things as contradictions, just two sides of the same coin." -Samantha Williams

#18 BigMike

BigMike

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

IMO we'll either blow ourselves apart...
Or zombies (resulting from some kind of radiation, or not, I'm not sure) will over run the planet.

Either way we're pretty much screwed.

I hope you don't really believe that. We have at least several millenia of millieums yet before something cataclysmic may give us something we will have serios problems we can't handle. We won't evolve anymore advance like they show in Star Trek but our knowledge an technology will become more advanced and we now understand that we must clean up after ourselves. Life is a learning experiance and I think we are learning.

The second part of my response was a joke, No zombies will not roam the earth, I understand this as fact, although it does make for great story telling. As for the first part of my statement, yes I am serious, I feel that a war will cause an apocalypse. Call me a pessimist if you like, but that IS how I feel. After all this is HYPOTHETICAL.
Live every day as if it was your last, it could well be.

#19 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

We know its possible (probable?) that the world would eventually stop turning. Also there may come a time when the sun will refuse to shine...

Not only is it possible and probable, it's inevitable. All stars burn out eventually. So if we manage to avoid blowing ourselves up and or creating zombies that eat us into extinction, one day the earth will end anyway when the sun goes. If a meteor or god doesn't get us first. And then there's also climate change due to global warming.

Of course by then maybe we'll colonize other planets. Then we'll probably have to compete for resources with hostile aliens.

Happy, happy thoughts!

#20 aya&aki

aya&aki

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:arts, music, literature, science... and a bunch of other stuff that I'd like to keep private.

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:23 PM

We know its possible (probable?) that the world would eventually stop turning. Also there may come a time when the sun will refuse to shine...

Not only is it possible and probable, it's inevitable. All stars burn out eventually. So if we manage to avoid blowing ourselves up and or creating zombies that eat us into extinction, one day the earth will end anyway when the sun goes. If a meteor or god doesn't get us first. And then there's also climate change due to global warming.

Of course by then maybe we'll colonize other planets. Then we'll probably have to compete for resources with hostile aliens.

Happy, happy thoughts!

haha..sure is..thanks for the reply...
"The Open-mindness of a person can be measured by his/her ability to accept that everything is right and everything is wrong. There are no such things as contradictions, just two sides of the same coin." -Samantha Williams

#21 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:19 PM

I can't believe I missed this thread until now. I love astronomy and astro-physics! (Yes, I am a geek :whee: ) This is the information I have gathered through my own research and study, although I can't quote exact units of time and measure so bear with me...

Our Sun is a rather average star that is approximately half way through it's life...no worries though, seeing as it still has about 4.5 to 5 billion years of life left in it, which is still older than our planet if you ascribe to scientific and evolutionary terms ;) Upon death, assuming the Sun will take the course that is typical for a star of it's size and mass, it will expand into what is called a Red Giant. If we do, by some miracle, survive on this planet until that time, one of two things will happen: either the Earth will be engulfed by the Sun's expansion, or the gravity of the Sun due to altered proportions of it's mass will relieve it's pull on the Earth and we will drift off on a tangent away from the center of our solar system. So...we'd be looking at either a very toasty or bitterly cold end...neither of which would be very pleasant.

Now, the death of the Sun is only one of many things that could cause the demise of our planet, other threats being more imminent. Not considering things such as NEOs (Near Earth Objects that pose a threat to our planet in terms of collision) and Gamma Ray Bursts (distant electromagnetic events usually cause by the collision of a neutron star with either a black hole or a binary star system that could cause instant destruction if the burst occurs in direct line with Earth), a more likely threat of demise is the collision of our own Milky Way with another galaxy called Andromeda. This is set to take place within a mere 3 billion years.

Even if we somehow were lucky enough to end up on the outskirts of such a collision and were capable of viewing what promises to be an extraordinary event with a front row seat, there are still so many other ways the Earth may come to an end. Not to be all morbid or anything, but it could happen at any moment...just like individual lives, the life of our planet is momentary compared to the vast reaches of time *gets all poetic* :clap:
Posted Image

#22 hungarian gypsy

hungarian gypsy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Hungarian born gypsy/cigany. <br />Clairvoyant, medium, psychic, paranormal mediator.<br /><br />I am highly skilled assisting in crossovers and am very accomplished in the cleansing of properties and buildings.<br /><br />I have found that most spirits have a dry &amp; mischevious &quot;sense of humour&quot;, so i fully enjoy &quot;playing their games&quot;.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:22 AM

the sun goes super nova?
what does man become?
CRACKLING !!

people that worry about thieir corporeal existance, really have no concept
of the true purpose of this life.

There is more to evolution than evolution.

#23 aya&aki

aya&aki

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:52 AM

I can't believe I missed this thread until now. I love astronomy and astro-physics! (Yes, I am a geek :hug: ) This is the information I have gathered through my own research and study, although I can't quote exact units of time and measure so bear with me...

Our Sun is a rather average star that is approximately half way through it's life...no worries though, seeing as it still has about 4.5 to 5 billion years of life left in it, which is still older than our planet if you ascribe to scientific and evolutionary terms ;) Upon death, assuming the Sun will take the course that is typical for a star of it's size and mass, it will expand into what is called a Red Giant. If we do, by some miracle, survive on this planet until that time, one of two things will happen: either the Earth will be engulfed by the Sun's expansion, or the gravity of the Sun due to altered proportions of it's mass will relieve it's pull on the Earth and we will drift off on a tangent away from the center of our solar system. So...we'd be looking at either a very toasty or bitterly cold end...neither of which would be very pleasant.

Now, the death of the Sun is only one of many things that could cause the demise of our planet, other threats being more imminent. Not considering things such as NEOs (Near Earth Objects that pose a threat to our planet in terms of collision) and Gamma Ray Bursts (distant electromagnetic events usually cause by the collision of a neutron star with either a black hole or a binary star system that could cause instant destruction if the burst occurs in direct line with Earth), a more likely threat of demise is the collision of our own Milky Way with another galaxy called Andromeda. This is set to take place within a mere 3 billion years.

Even if we somehow were lucky enough to end up on the outskirts of such a collision and were capable of viewing what promises to be an extraordinary event with a front row seat, there are still so many other ways the Earth may come to an end. Not to be all morbid or anything, but it could happen at any moment...just like individual lives, the life of our planet is momentary compared to the vast reaches of time *gets all poetic* :P

nice finish..yeah, we studied that as well...haha..i just posted cause i was wondering which is likely to come first and how strong the earth's gravitational pull is compared to a black hole..thanks for replying

#24 aya&aki

aya&aki

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:56 AM

the sun goes super nova?
what does man become?
CRACKLING !!

people that worry about thieir corporeal existance, really have no concept
of the true purpose of this life.

There is more to evolution than evolution.

who's worrying??? (aside from Cautious-Psychic's daughter. hope she's ok)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users