hypothetical - apocalypse

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 aya&aki

aya&aki

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:arts, music, literature, science... and a bunch of other stuff that I'd like to keep private.

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

Hey..just wondering if there are some who could answer a few queries of mine

We know its possible (probable?) that the world would eventually stop turning. Also there may come a time when the sun will refuse to shine...

...which is more likely to come first (the world stopping or the extinguished sun)?

...also, if by chance, the sun became a super nova (and man has invented a way to protect itself from the destruction therefore surviving the said calamity) and then evolved into a black hole...will the things in earth get sucked before the actual planet or will the planet's gravitational pull keep everything on the ground and the whole earth itself will get sucked?..sorry for the out of place questions..these are ramblings of the mildly depressed...

-aya
"The Open-mindness of a person can be measured by his/her ability to accept that everything is right and everything is wrong. There are no such things as contradictions, just two sides of the same coin." -Samantha Williams

#2 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:26 AM

I have yet to figure out why we are so obsessed with the end times, the apochylapse, Yellowstones super volcano erupting. global warming reversibg the gulf stream and every other end of the world scenerio you can imagine. Life can change at any second and there would be nothing we can do about it. I choose to be happy and honestly feel there is still a long history to follow. I see us continuing for thousands of years and get no vision of our last days as it is so far in the future what is happening today won't be remembered in History. Lets get serious about living well before we worry about mankinds end.

#3 Ike

Ike

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

I HAVE SEEN THE END!!!!
STEWIE GRIFFIN WON PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2012!!!!!!!!
Thats great taylor and Imma let you continue, but Ghostvillage is the best paranormal site of all time~<3

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

Actually I rather enjoy speculating on things like this.

I beleive the end will come more like the earth gradually slowing and as such the suns gravity pulling it in closer. This slowing could come from simply the solar wind causing a slight resstance to the earth's orbit around the sun. If so I believe we will gradually drift closer and closer to the sun. It think this will happen long before either the sun goes nova or the earth's revolution on its axis ceases. Erath will become more like Venus then as time continues like Mercury until one day it simply crashes into the sun. Meanwhile Mercury then Venus will have suffered the same fate. We on the other hand may buy some time (if we're still even around) by colonizing Mars which by then will be more like the Earth of today.

#5 CASEY WELLS

CASEY WELLS

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

We know its possible (probable?) that the world would eventually stop turning. Also there may come a time when the sun will refuse to shine...

...which is more likely to come first (the world stopping or the extinguished sun)?

...also, if by chance, the sun became a super nova (and man has invented a way to protect itself from the destruction therefore surviving the said calamity) and then evolved into a black hole...will the things in earth get sucked before the actual planet or will the planet's gravitational pull keep everything on the ground and the whole earth itself will get sucked?..sorry for the out of place questions..these are ramblings of the mildly depressed...

-aya

Under the wide and open sky, dig the grave and let me lie;Gladly i've lived and gladly die, away from this world of strife;This be the epitaph for me- "Here he lies where he longed to be, lies in death by the nineteenth tee, where he lied all his life"

#6 CASEY WELLS

CASEY WELLS

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:38 PM

-aya

oops. what did you just watch the movie the core? those things are nothing for us to worry about, not even for our kids kids kids kids and there kids and maybe their kids, get my point. and we're not moving closer to the sun, but further away. the sun is actually growing. it will grow and grow and grow and eventually collapse onto itself and become any number of things, like your black hole, or go super nova, but less than 1 percent of stars in the universe will meet this fate, so its doubtful. most likely it will become a white dwarf, and then eventually a black dwarf. black hole scenario, the things on earth will go before the earth itself. the gravitational force holding the things in place pale in comparison compared to the gravitational force holding the earth in orbit. i cant remember which planet they say we would be able to colonize when the sun grows and takes out our planet, its saturn or jupiter, which ever one is a gas planet. not to to sure.
Under the wide and open sky, dig the grave and let me lie;Gladly i've lived and gladly die, away from this world of strife;This be the epitaph for me- "Here he lies where he longed to be, lies in death by the nineteenth tee, where he lied all his life"

#7 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

We all have too much time on our brains. I feel bad about television, the media's and are own personal preoccupation with this. My daughter is Bi\Polar and ANY mention of this starts her crying. She is doing well but as a new mother this freaks her out. Ghosts, spirits any of that is fine. Just don't talk the end of the world. It effects young children also. I think I will just live day by day. Besides we lived through Y2K and the Millenia and at the time that was the end of life as we knew it. :ghost:

#8 aya&aki

aya&aki

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:arts, music, literature, science... and a bunch of other stuff that I'd like to keep private.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:46 AM

...wow! thanks for the information... these are just random thoughts that come to my mind (like the time i ask my mom the difference between a rose and a rosary)... and for those who posted about life..uhm..well, i just asked what would happen and im not really implying that it would happen anytime soon..(if it will happen)...personally i don't believe in endings or death..nyahaha..which goes to show my absolute weirdness..i dont believe in time as well..
"The Open-mindness of a person can be measured by his/her ability to accept that everything is right and everything is wrong. There are no such things as contradictions, just two sides of the same coin." -Samantha Williams

#9 aya&aki

aya&aki

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:52 AM

We all have too much time on our brains. I feel bad about television, the media's and are own personal preoccupation with this. My daughter is Bi\Polar and ANY mention of this starts her crying. She is doing well but as a new mother this freaks her out. Ghosts, spirits any of that is fine. Just don't talk the end of the world. It effects young children also. I think I will just live day by day. Besides we lived through Y2K and the Millenia and at the time that was the end of life as we knew it.

...i personally dont believe in time...hehe

...abt ur daughter..i guess i understand why she would cry at this...u ddnt have to reply to this post if that was the case...

#10 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:39 AM

No reason to feel bad about brining this up. First and foremost whatever happens we are talking about an event so far in the future it will make no difference to any of us or even our descendents 100 generations from now.

For that matter entire civilizations may well rise and fall before anyone has to be concerned. Things like this are simply a thought exercise is all. I sometimes just set and ponder how we might escape such a thing if it were to be imminant, but only just as something to do. And for your daughter, and I reealize it's easier said than done, tell her she can relax,the sun is not going to blow up any time soon! Her great - great - great- great- grandchilderen won't even have anything to worry about in that regard either.

#11 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:54 AM

quote: Things like this are simply a thought exercise is all. I sometimes just set and ponder how we might escape such a thing if it were to be imminant, but only just as something to do.

The problem is television shows don't present it as a thought exercise. They parade supposed experts who believe that the Mayans, the Bible, Nostradaemas and every other doomsayer is a valid predictor of the end of the world.

Add to those the science shows that show a comet will someday, maybe tomarrow, hit the earth and wipe out mankind, the eruption of Yellowstone, the use of WMD, global warming killing the polar bears and flooding the coastlines where she lives, the gulfstream changing and an iceage starts, a killer plague like SARs or hemmorhagic fever again WILL spread over the world and kill millions...You get the point. Every where you look the last days and the Apochalypse are imminent For some reason we have gone beyond a thought exercise to an obsession with the end of the world. Movies like I Am Legand, The Day After Tomarrow and Armageddon were huge box office hits. Post apopalytic books, movies and games are the most popular out there.

It does get a little overwhelming at times even for me and I believe we have thousands of years to grow into a better spieces. At the debate of the republican canidates early in the primaries 3 out of 5 of the canidates believed we were in the end days. If that is really thier belief what is the incentive to try and avoid the second coming of Christ and the 1000 years of eutopia it promises. I think the whole world needs a positive vibe right now. Maybe we all need a sappy love movie with a good old fashioned happy ending right now. It couldn't hurt.

#12 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

The sun fading to black and all that, takes time to happen (if it even happens). There will be sufficient time for us to get ready as scientists and astronomers will likely warn us. I think mankind will be ready for it and we would have a plan in place by then to save ourselves.
Never underestimate mankind to save itself when it's on the very brink. We'll pull it off!

Edited by axlfoley, 29 October 2008 - 11:32 AM.

Whatever

#13 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

quote: Things like this are simply a thought exercise is all. I sometimes just set and ponder how we might escape such a thing if it were to be imminant, but only just as something to do.

The problem is television shows don't present it as a thought exercise. They parade supposed experts who believe that the Mayans, the Bible, Nostradaemas and every other doomsayer is a valid predictor of the end of the world.

Add to those the science shows that show a comet will someday, maybe tomarrow, hit the earth and wipe out mankind, the eruption of Yellowstone, the use of WMD, global warming killing the polar bears and flooding the coastlines where she lives, the gulfstream changing and an iceage starts, a killer plague like SARs or hemmorhagic fever again WILL spread over the world and kill millions...You get the point. Every where you look the last days and the Apochalypse are imminent For some reason we have gone beyond a thought exercise to an obsession with the end of the world. Movies like I Am Legand, The Day After Tomarrow and Armageddon were huge box office hits. Post apopalytic books, movies and games are the most popular out there.

It does get a little overwhelming at times even for me and I believe we have thousands of years to grow into a better spieces. At the debate of the republican canidates early in the primaries 3 out of 5 of the canidates believed we were in the end days. If that is really thier belief what is the incentive to try and avoid the second coming of Christ and the 1000 years of eutopia it promises. I think the whole world needs a positive vibe right now. Maybe we all need a sappy love movie with a good old fashioned happy ending right now. It couldn't hurt.

Just this afternoon I saw a show on the History Channel about USOs and even there they said this could be pointing to the End of Days. My cat just threw uo a hairball. Maybe that is a sign too! :)

#14 tris

tris

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:anything that goes bump in the night, that or anything that freaks people out i am kinda obsessed with

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:53 PM

Nostradamus for some reason springs to mind....

#15 BigMike

BigMike

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:35 AM

IMO we'll either blow ourselves apart...
Or zombies (resulting from some kind of radiation, or not, I'm not sure) will over run the planet.

Either way we're pretty much screwed.
Live every day as if it was your last, it could well be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users